8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe B

Joe B

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:30 PM

I've been able to find the recommended wind ranges for both the standard and full vent versions of the B-Series 1.5's, with the different possible combos of rods in place, but I can't seem to find them for the mid vents. Is this listed somewhere for reference, or can anyone tell me how the mid vents fit in between the standard and full vent sails and what the wind range is with the different rods? Thanks!

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

I've been able to find the recommended wind ranges for both the standard and full vent versions of the B-Series 1.5's, with the different possible combos of rods in place, but I can't seem to find them for the mid vents. Is this listed somewhere for reference, or can anyone tell me how the mid vents fit in between the standard and full vent sails and what the wind range is with the different rods? Thanks!

The mid vent can be flown is as low as 3mph by a very experienced pilot, and can easily be flown in as low as 6mph comfortably. Once the wind is up to maybe 10 or 12 mph, I would switch to a full vent. I think the wind range for any kite is very dependent on the person flying it. I like to get the mid vent out as often as possible because is can fly in pretty low wind, but it has some of that smooth feel of a vented kite.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Joe B

Joe B

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Watty. What about the upper limits for a mid vent, though? I know a full vent is more warranted for higher winds and that's next on my list... but for now, I'm just curious what the safe limits are with a 3 wrap LE and a 3 wrap + Race Rod, for my reference. I just picked one up and want to know how much is too much. The winds in my area have been gusty!

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Watty. What about the upper limits for a mid vent, though? I know a full vent is more warranted for higher winds and that's next on my list... but for now, I'm just curious what the safe limits are with a 3 wrap LE and a 3 wrap + Race Rod, for my reference. I just picked one up and want to know how much is too much. The winds in my area have been gusty!

With full 3 wrap, I think 20 or 25mph would be pushing it.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:10 AM

I've flown the green race rods in a mid-vent in 20+ MPH winds. Stayed down low, though.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

15-20mph is as far as I'd go!! Switching to a full vent around 15mph myself!!! Personal comfort levels should be taken into any decision, myself, I don't like too much pull!! So I tend to switch earlier rather than push it!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

For what it is worth I did fly a standard REV I with standard 4 wrap rods in a wind strength measured at Beaufort 6.8 to 7.2 back in 1993 at Fano in Denmark. You can't do much except fly very carefully. It would really start to pull your arms off if you tried to fly too quickly forward. This all led me to designing possibly the first ever vented REV in the summer of 1993.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

We did 3 wrap + Race rods in the the midvent in Vietnam. Wind speed avg ~25mph. Yes, you can fly it but it feels real nervy. Not enjoyable.;)

Chua

#9 Joe B

Joe B

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

We did 3 wrap + Race rods in the the midvent in Vietnam. Wind speed avg ~25mph. Yes, you can fly it but it feels real nervy. Not enjoyable.;)

Chua

Thanks, Chua!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users