flick/flack

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jimt

jimt
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

HI to all jim t is in need of another look at the video some one sent me 3 -4 weeks ago . I am traveling and not in computer contact all the time . I did not down load the video and can not find again. thanks , from yuma az. at present jimt

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

Demonstration here...

Full step by step instruction and explanation of the dynamics can be downloaded here, with a paid subscription...

HD - http://kitelife.com/...ac-hd-1280x720/
iPod - http://kitelife.com/...c-ipod-480x272/

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:27 AM

Adding in a forward step or two with your feet (while executing the first "flick" w/the handles) is the basis for entering the falling leaf trick. The kite over rotates (all the way backwards) and then plunges downward in free-fall towards mother earth with the flying lines wrapped over the trailing edge. You must move your feet to go backwards (to remove all that slack you've just added moments ago) and then do your "flak", otherwise impact is imminent.

Also, you can do the flick/flak movement slower and hold your flick position (looks like a weirdly positioned stall). It doesn't have to be done rapidly, . . . knowing both options offers greater opportunities to flail in an entertaining manner.

The falling leaf is a great trick on a smaller platform like the B-2 as well. It over-rotates much easier then the bigger rev kites!

I showed the falling leaf trick to Will Strudy (great dual line pilot), and within ten minutes he had it down pat. (darn kids, he's 17) He could dive the kite down and snap the landing such that an ant wasn't crushed on impact. He also was doing 'em over water and snapping the bottom wing tips just lightly touching the pond. That was a very slick looking demonstration of his technique. I told him there's nothing left that I can give you Will, go get your own equipment and quit abusing mine. Ha!

#4 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

Any advice for pulling a Flic Flac on a Shockwave?

The Shockwave training vid shows Joe H. putting both handles into one hand and pulling on the bottom lines, and this does a great Flic Flac. But, putting both handles into one hand before the pull is slow to make happen, and trying this way from any position other than upright or inverted isn't feasible. If I'm ever going to work the Flic Flac into a routine, I'm going to need to pull it off like I can on a 1.5 - quickly, and from most any kite orientation.

I have tried doing a Flic Flac on the Shockwave like I do for a 1.5 size Rev. All I succeeded in doing was sharply pulling the kite downwards in reverse! Unreal and awesome all at once!!

Is it possible to do a Flic Flac on a Shockwave like can be done on a 1.5?

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Any advice for pulling a Flic Flac on a Shockwave?

The Shockwave training vid shows Joe H. putting both handles into one hand and pulling on the bottom lines, and this does a great Flic Flac. But, putting both handles into one hand before the pull is slow to make happen, and trying this way from any position other than upright or inverted isn't feasible. If I'm ever going to work the Flic Flac into a routine, I'm going to need to pull it off like I can on a 1.5 - quickly, and from most any kite orientation.

I have tried doing a Flic Flac on the Shockwave like I do for a 1.5 size Rev. All I succeeded in doing was sharply pulling the kite downwards in reverse! Unreal and awesome all at once!!

Is it possible to do a Flic Flac on a Shockwave like can be done on a 1.5?

I think there are two things that may help to keep in mind.
1. Keep the kite under as little pressure as possible before doing the flic flack. Stop the kite, and maybe even let gravity start pulling it down a bit, then do the flic flac.
2. Make your inputs hard and sharp. The benefit to doing this one handed is that you have more leverage to make a forceful pull. Your hands may need to go all the way down to your hips.

Hope that helps

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 B-13

B-13

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Subscribe to Kitelife.com JB there has a nice tutorial :)

#7 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

I'm in a tiff with PayPal, otherwise I would have subscribed long ago :(
Besides, JB's tutorial covers the 1.5 Flic Flac. As I said, I can Flic Flac a 1.5 all day long, thanks to Watty's advice through PMs sent awhile back.

I understand - the method for completing the trick may be the same between the 2 kites. However, I'm having no luck depressurizing the sail on the Shockwave, not even running forward.

Thanks for the advice Watty. From you, I learned that the "Flac" portion of the trick requires a super-sharp pop, a seriously snappier pop than I have ever given to any other trick. EVER. However..... In 8 mph wind, with a Shockwave, the sharpest, elbow-snappiest pop on earth only succeeds in quickly pulling the kite in reverse downwards! Once again, probably because I can't depressurize the sail enough to start the trick.

Have Rev, Will Travel

#8 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Just got back from flying. 2 glorious hours on the Shockwave.

Aha! (Or backwards - Aha!)
I was over-controlling it. Trying to hard, if you will. This has been a frequent learning point I've experienced while practicing on the Shockwave.

A Flic Flac on the SW is as simple as a little push forward with both arms (very little!), followed by a violent "maximum brake now!" hand position. Push forward, violently "pour out". This Flics it beautifully.
For the Flac, its as simple as "maximum forward now!" hand position with just a little pull back with both arms. Or, violently "take a drink", pull back.
Timing is everything.

Whew.

Have Rev, Will Travel

#9 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

try to "catch" the SW kite and see what happens,
it doesn't fall towards you, but instead it rotates around slowly to be back facing down-wind again in a smooth arcing circle. you'll have some fun learning this technique. Again, your back flying one-handed before execution

#10 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

try to "catch" the SW kite and see what happens,
it doesn't fall towards you, but instead it rotates around slowly to be back facing down-wind again in a smooth arcing circle. you'll have some fun learning this technique. Again, your back flying one-handed before execution

I'm right there with you my friend!
Joe H. calls it the Flyaway in the Shockwave training vid. I've noticed you can pull on the top lines from almost anywhere in the window (with a good breeze) and the kite will catch air before it hits the ground every time! Even inverted, pulling the SW straight at the ground!

However.....

I sure would love to get in a decent catch-n-throw. If there was ever a Rev that I was going to throw on 120's, I imagine it would be this one. If I can't catch it in the first place, though..... I guess just the throw would be impressive enough.

Have Rev, Will Travel

#11 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

120 throws need all the mass present in the shockwave, combined with all the glide capabilities of the zen. You step a couple of times into the throw, like a javelin toss,... Then race backwards as fast as possible to take up the slack. I generally throw left-handed, heading for the lower right corner of the wind window. Place both handles, pinky finger between the grips, facing full reverse, in one hand and at the end of the throw, it winds up inverted, in the corner, hovering just above the soil, like u meant to do that!

120 catches are much more reliable, than the throwing part, maybe 80/20

#12 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

Paul, (or anyone!),
Have you figured out a way to catch the Shockwave? Because of the aforementioned float capabilities, I can throw this beast a country mile, but unless I run (and I mean RUN) with the kite after initiating the catch, I can't catch it farther out than say 30 foot lines... And that's some serious running, couldn't imagine a Shockwave catch on 120s, but I'm hopeful to hear about it ;)

Have Rev, Will Travel

#13 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

SkyPuppet,

I haven't had my Supersonic out of the bag for years, I'll have to search for it.  But hey, we have wind in the cooler months, so maybe I need to shake off the dust of it.  All the other speed series kites I have liquidated to other fliers, except never owned that 4/8 big boy!

All my long throw & catch efforts are on the more traditional platforms. I guess 'cause I have more practice with these kites.

Both of these tricks also easier when you don't have much wind (to overcome, honestly!)

Maybe this weekend, I will at least put it together and make sure nothing is out of kilter.

#14 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Not 100% but regularly achievable.

Fly to the edge of the window, hold it there while you move to square your lines up to about 45*(down wind) then pull that sucker out of the sky. You do have to move forward but you are stalling at the edge to gain a little ground BEFORE you pull. Works but not always...

Clear as mud?

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#15 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

Rob your description is clear but on anything longer than 30ft my Shockwave catches air and neatly and quickly floats away from me, and I've done the initial pull from many angles/places within the window. I guess I'm still missing something... I'd like to see it done on some 75ft like I can with my 1.5s.

I shouldn't expect it to trick like a 1.5 but it would be nice :)

Have Rev, Will Travel

#16 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Rob your description is clear but on anything longer than 30ft my Shockwave catches air and neatly and quickly floats away from me, and I've done the initial pull from many angles/places within the window. I guess I'm still missing something... I'd like to see it done on some 75ft like I can with my 1.5s.

I shouldn't expect it to trick like a 1.5 but it would be nice :)

I've done it a few in a row on 50's with a Sonic bout only a successfully a couple of times on 80's. And boy it can be a run. With the Sonic I had it about 1/3 up the window to allow for the glide. A couple actually fell into my hand as the lull of the wind happened just right.

Land it..... Fist pump moment!

#17 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:47 AM

okay, let's try the other end of the catch, down-wind instead!  I'm still not convinced this is the proper design for the catch trick.  The Speed series kites will dead launch on a smooth surface.  Pretty hard to get a long glide when the leading edge has so much pronounced curvature built in.

Anyway, we intent for it to float around in that gradual arc, back to the execution area starting point for the catch (and will position yourself such that you are downwind and approaching a catching point towards the direction the kite is expected to travel).

Man, this will have to be some edge of low-end wind range practice season too or that thing will come back towards the pilot very fast! (scary?)

I'll probably go to very long lines first, but now the flying field location also comes into play.  Is the surface sufficiently tangle-free to allow these lines to move as slack while I'm repositioning myself?

I can do this occasionally (in ideal conditions!) with a full sail Pro or the Zen on 120s.  Where you can walk along side the kite as it's floating on the breeze (not going up-wind though) and decide when to pick it out of the flight path with your catch.  Do I want to rush ahead slightly and have it land in my lap as I sit underneath it's expected zone?  Of just that over-passing me into the backwards facing "beheaded catch",.... sitting on the ground?  Catch it standing and then swing the kite around "sword style" back at the spectators?

I might have to run a trick-line around all the end-caps of my supersonic to prevent a snag with all the slack in the flying lines.  Then onto magic sticks? so it won't require my walk-of-shame as I flail around, we'll see.

If anyone shows up, I'll try to get some video this sunday of this outlandish exercise, then the SS will go back into the closet for another few years.

#18 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

A beheading! Now that would be a great end to a routine. I think your onto something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users