Today's flight

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NCREVR

NCREVR
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

Today I got out and flew for several hours. Did a bunch of hovering and some inverted hovering. I'm trying to get better at inverted maneuvers. So all in all a fun and productive day, other than the wind trying to blow in what seems like every direction. Hoping to get out tomorrow and do some more.

Sent from my etch-a-sketch

#2 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

Sometimes you'll learn more in an uncooperative condition!!!!Posted Image It's easy when the conditions are perfect, but sometimes when the wind is "all wrong" you learn to cope and in the end get more out of it!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#3 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

That's what I was talking about last week, when I mentioned, "disturbed air". Now you are catching on. What was it that "nckiter" was saying ? If there is an obstacle behind you, like trees, or a building, etc, you need to be out past it, at least seven times the obstacle's height, before the wind smooths back out. Posted Image
Something about a 7:1 rule Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

Nick, from North Carolina, USA
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#4 NCREVR

NCREVR
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

That's what I was talking about last week, when I mentioned, "disturbed air". Now you are catching on. What was it that "nckiter" was saying ? If there is an obstacle behind you, like trees, or a building, etc, you need to be out past it, at least seven times the obstacle's height, before the wind smooths back out. Posted Image

Something about a 7:1 rule    Posted Image

I hate disturbed air, think I'm going to have to find somewhere else because the wind is way too erratic over here. I got a couple more places to check hope it has a more fixed direction.

#5 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

I hate disturbed air

Yep, it can be quite frustrating...............but just wait till you get that thing to the coast...........Shangrala !!!
Actually, I meant, S...M...O...O...O...O...O...T...H.................................Posted Image

Sorry you had a tough time today................Posted Image

Unfortunately, good wind today, in your favorite spot, doesn't mean, good wind tomorrow.
I flew at the lake Friday. Had 10 - 15 out of the SW, right off of the water.
Saturday, it was still 10 - 15, but out of the NE, directly over the trees.
Couldn't even feel a breeze, where I struggled with too much wind, on Friday...........
Go figure !

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#6 Tim

Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

Saturday, it was still 10 - 15, but out of the NE, directly over the trees.

Yeah, as you know Crabtree is often a total wash when the wind is from the north. I saw that the wind was from the north on saturday morning and tried out a spot I've been saving. There's a new-ish Lowe's home improvement store at Fayetteville and MLK Pkwy in south durham where the wind can come in from the north, go over some drainage ponds, and blow onto some outparcel lots that are currently open. I had a little success there on saturday, but I would recommend it only when the wind was from the north or close to north. It was a little imposing flying in front of an audience, because there was a lot of traffic in and out of the store, and it can probably be seen from Fayetteville, but I got my fix for the day.

#7 NCREVR

NCREVR
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

<br /><br />
Yeah, as you know Crabtree is often a total wash when the wind is from the north. I saw that the wind was from the north on saturday morning and tried out a spot I've been saving. There's a new-ish Lowe's home improvement store at Fayetteville and MLK Pkwy in south durham where the wind can come in from the north, go over some drainage ponds, and blow onto some outparcel lots that are currently open. I had a little success there on saturday, but I would recommend it only when the wind was from the north or close to north. It was a little imposing flying in front of an audience, because there was a lot of traffic in and out of the store, and it can probably be seen from Fayetteville, but I got my fix for the day.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I love when people rubber neck, it's funny because you know they are thinking "what in the heck is that". Nick and I have that going on when we fly at louisburg.

#8 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

I love when people rubber neck, it's funny because you know they are thinking "what in the heck is that". Nick and I have that going on when we fly at louisburg.

Yep, I had to move my truck, that first day, because I was afraid someone was going to be watching us, and run into it Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:40 PM

I get the same reaction from people walking their dogs, at the park I go to!!Posted Image Most won't come near, but you can tell that they're interested in how or what!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#10 louiedogg03

louiedogg03

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

I am coming back to NC this next weekend. I think that we should all try and meet up. I don't mind driving a couple hours on a Saturday or Sunday to come fly with more Rev flyers. I have a friend who is also just learning.
Louie Tiberio

#11 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:27 AM

I am coming back to NC this next weekend. I think that we should all try and meet up. I don't mind driving a couple hours on a Saturday or Sunday to come fly with more Rev flyers. I have a friend who is also just learning.

Hey Louie,
That sounds like a plan, if it just wasn't this week-end. I surely don't mean to be speaking for anyone else, but I kinda doubt that their will be too many takers, because the high is suppose to be only 40 to 50 degrees, with winds out of the NE at 10-15 mph, and RAIN, both Saturday & Sunday. That rain part is the killer for me. I would really love to get together with you guys sometime, but my old butt just won't be flying, in those conditions - I've got to pass. Posted Image I know, I know, but when you get to be my age, you'll understand..........Posted Image
You guys have fun, and I'll be waiting for those 80 degrees & sunny days............nick Posted Image

ps..........might want to try NCREVR (Lee) Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#12 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:46 AM

Something about a 7:1 rule Posted Image

So let's see; I live in TN, in the mountains. If the wind is from the west (and I have to drive east about 100 miles to get to the flat land) then I just have to go about 700 miles east to get out of the wake of the appalachian mountain range.....that puts meeeeeeeee.....drowning in the atlantic ocean. How about if I drive west. Where will I have to go then?
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#13 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

WSIKF, of course!! Posted Image (HI Scott) Just keep going west till you hit the ocean!!Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#14 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

So let's see; I live in TN, in the mountains. If the wind is from the west (and I have to drive east about 100 miles to get to the flat land) then I just have to go about 700 miles east to get out of the wake of the appalachian mountain range.....that puts meeeeeeeee.....drowning in the atlantic ocean. How about if I drive west. Where will I have to go then?

Come on out west to California. The rain is fine. :lol:
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#15 louiedogg03

louiedogg03

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hey Louie,
That sounds like a plan, if it just wasn't this week-end. I surely don't mean to be speaking for anyone else, but I kinda doubt that their will be too many takers, because the high is suppose to be only 40 to 50 degrees, with winds out of the NE at 10-15 mph, and RAIN, both Saturday & Sunday. That rain part is the killer for me. I would really love to get together with you guys sometime, but my old butt just won't be flying, in those conditions - I've got to pass. Posted Image I know, I know, but when you get to be my age, you'll understand..........Posted Image
You guys have fun, and I'll be waiting for those 80 degrees & sunny days............nick Posted Image

ps..........might want to try NCREVR (Lee) Posted Image

Yea I didn't even look at the weather lol. I am so excited to get back home that it slipped my mind. I would just like to try and look ahead and get together with more Rev Flyers. We should just all talk and set a date and we will see how the weather is when it comes. I am in San Diego right now and the weather out here has been so so for the last couple of days but like I said lets try and figure out the date between all of us NC flyers and try and get the group together. I will gladly wait for the warm weather!!!!!
Louie Tiberio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users