• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nailimexam

nailimexam
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

Hi,

I flew my 2-4 today for the first time in one and a half years. I was very rusty (lots of over steer, hehe). I crashed it, breaking the right LE spar. It's a fairly clean break (perpendicular). Can I just use a ferrule to hold the two pieces together?. I have an extra spar but I don't want to use it until I shake the rust off.

Where can I find a ferrule for the LE of the 2-4? (seems the online sellers seem to be short on 2-4 parts)

Thanks.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

It could be possible that it has cracks running the length thus would break easily again and it could even do additional damage to the sail.
Best course is to replace the rod.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

And try to use a light wind Day to polish the rust off, good luck.

#4 nailimexam

nailimexam
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

Thanks guys,

The extra replacement rod that came with the kite does not have the ferrule. Can I swap the ferrule from the broken rod as long as i inspect it for damage? Again, I havn't been able to find ferrules for the Blast 2-4 online. (I've also searched to rev website a few times with no luck).

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

We have replacement spars in stock nearly all the time. I have never had just a ferule though, normally once a rod breaks it does enough damage that the spar is useless. Also, if the rod breaks and you replace the ferule, the rod would be too short to use.

I can probably order in some ferules for you. The replacement rod is less than 25.00, not sure if the savings over purchasing a ferule vs. the rod would be worth damaging the sail.

Just my opinion is all.

#6 nailimexam

nailimexam
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

We have replacement spars in stock nearly all the time. I have never had just a ferule though, normally once a rod breaks it does enough damage that the spar is useless. Also, if the rod breaks and you replace the ferule, the rod would be too short to use.

I can probably order in some ferules for you. The replacement rod is less than 25.00, not sure if the savings over purchasing a ferule vs. the rod would be worth damaging the sail.

Just my opinion is all.

I have a new replacement rod (came with the kite), but it doesn't have the ferrule. I was thinking of maybe taking the ferrule from the broken spar (it doesn't appear to be damaged) and using it for the new spar. Or would it be best to get a new ferrule to put in the replacement spar, I'm guessing they are pretty cheap.

#7 nailimexam

nailimexam
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

After taking the other two LE spars out of the kite I found a second break. The ferrule joining the left LE spar to the center spar cracked in half at the joining point. However, I cannot find any evidence of damage to the left or center spars (not even wear around the edges).

I haven't been able to get the old ferrule out of the broken right LE spar or the broken half of the ferrule of the left LE spar. (The "glued side"). With a different kite I used hot water to weaken the glue. But hot water hasn't work for these ferrules. Any suggestions?

Thanks

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

After taking the other two LE spars out of the kite I found a second break. The ferrule joining the left LE spar to the center spar cracked in half at the joining point. However, I cannot find any evidence of damage to the left or center spars (not even wear around the edges).

I haven't been able to get the old ferrule out of the broken right LE spar or the broken half of the ferrule of the left LE spar. (The "glued side"). With a different kite I used hot water to weaken the glue. But hot water hasn't work for these ferrules. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Basically you need to get the ferrule to break loose from it's glue.
What I would try, "never doing it before", is to cut the rod cleanly a few inches from ferrule. Then you would need two blocks of wood, a hammer and a solid hard surface.
Place one block of wood flat on the solid surface.
Place the rod, cut end down perpendicular on the board.
Take the other board and place it perpendicular to the ferrule end.
Take the hammer and tap the board on top at the ferrule point.
This should knock it loose.
By no means tap the ferrule directly with the hammer.

Good Luck!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users