Cleaning a Rev

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JPB

JPB
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

Im hooked. Today was the fourth day I was able to fly.I acutually spent more time flying than I did crashing. Not that my flying was anything special but it sure feels good to fly left and right when I want to.Throw a few left and right hand spins in and not crash. That being said it wasnt a total crash less day. It just so happens that the field I was playing around in is also the part time home to geese.You can stop giggeling now if you can see where this is going. So after breaking down I was looking over my kite to make sure I had not done any dammage. I didnt find any dammage but did find goose poop on the leading edge and on the lower ends of the up rights. It needs to come off.Is there anything special I should do? Im thinking of taking a wash cloth and warm water to it.

Joe

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

Im hooked. Today was the fourth day I was able to fly.I acutually spent more time flying than I did crashing. Not that my flying was anything special but it sure feels good to fly left and right when I want to.Throw a few left and right hand spins in and not crash. That being said it wasnt a total crash less day. It just so happens that the field I was playing around in is also the part time home to geese.You can stop giggeling now if you can see where this is going. So after breaking down I was looking over my kite to make sure I had not done any dammage. I didnt find any dammage but did find goose poop on the leading edge and on the lower ends of the up rights. It needs to come off.Is there anything special I should do? Im thinking of taking a wash cloth and warm water to it.

Joe

Goose poop is just what I experience in the field I learned to fly in back 20 years ago. Goose poop is nothing compared to dog poop which I experience at another field.
Washing: If you can, first turn the water hose on it outside.
For cleaning, just used dish washing detergent and a wash cloth. Don't use anything abrasive, because it could damage the coating.
Let it totally dry before you pack it up.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Good times. Liberty State Park is knee deep in the stuff.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#4 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

Yep, have the same problem!!!Posted Image Clean it with water and let it dry in the shower!!!Posted Image Sounds like a nation-wide problem!!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#5 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

Yep, I wash all of my Revs with the water hose, especially after flights on the beach, just to get rid of any sand, and/or salt residue, and maybe the occasional seagull poop. I've even got a special attachment, that I made to go on the water hose, just to run water through the leading edge sleeve, after removing the rods. Sand always seems to get in there. Otherwise, for the sail, it's just a good spray job with fresh water, unless there is something that needs special attention, and then I hang them over a line to dry. I use compressed air to clear the water out of the spars, after I rinse them, and then I just lay them out in the sun, or in my shop for a day or so...........Posted Image

A clean Rev is a happy Rev Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#6 fungus

fungus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

i used to come home and take my kites into bathroom for a shower, desperate to keep em clean, now i leave them dirty unless its smelly s**t.

though i might be more careful to keep my REV B PRO clean when it arrivesPosted Image

fungusPosted Image
wHind cHecks Har4 wHimps

#7 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:53 AM

Because of the leading edge material a wash cloth may just plant the poop and mud into the material, so in the field I care a Misty Mate or Mr Misty, those are the water bottles that you pump up to spray on your body to cool you down. A tooth brush and that flow of water will flow the dirt away rather than spreading/embedding it into the leading edge, it's not as bad with an SUL because of the sail material used in those leading edges. If I'm at home the hose works great with a light brush or used toothbrush, don't forget the shock cords, brush not a cloth, cloth is good for the sail, but the sail usually doesn't get goose poop. Sham-Wow to dry away from home, "did you get that camera guy?" But wait! Posted Image

#8 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

This would be a good Sticky/pinned thread. Posted Image
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#9 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Around where I live? Do geese do this? A goose couldn't poop this big.... I'm thinking we have a problem with low-flying reindeer in Las Vegas.

I'm so glad its warming up, all the geese that come here during the cold months are leaving to poop somewhere else. Nature Disco (park) is almost flyable again. Almost. Another couple months or so Posted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#10 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

as always after a good fly i put them together and blast them good with a hose all water nothing else and my kites are all perfect for where i fly them. the wildwood sands are nasty as many know
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users