4 replies to this topic

#1 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

Okay, I'm looking for input here. I'm out here in north Texas in the DFW area,and I have noticed that well, there aren't many fliers out here, it gave me an idea. I'm thinking that I might want to start getting people into flying bydoing some formal instruction. Albeit I know I'm not the best flyer out there,but I know I can train people in duels and quads. I know I will need to increase my kite collection a bit to facilitate this. But I'm really just looking for input here folks. Anybody who has done this before, what do I need to do to get this off the ground. Currently my new job gives me three days offa week, and it pays a bit better than most of my other jobs. I just need toknow, what is good marketing to get people involved, if there should be a feefor formal training, or just a "rental fee" so on and so forth.

Any Ideas would be appreciated, as I'm kind of out there on this, and it looks like it's one of the few opportunities I will have to get better at kiting and get more people involved in this area. Let me know whatyou folks think, good or bad, and bounce any ideas you think would be interesting.

Danny B.

Dude, cut and paste from a word doc is working weird, lost spacing between words.. if that is a security measure it's different, slightly effective, but highly annoying.. lol.

#2 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

Dude, cut and paste from a word doc is working weird, lost spacing between words.. if that is a security measure it's different, slightly effective, but highly annoying.. lol.

Just the way most forums are -- they collapse ALL whitespace (tabs, regular old spaces, and sometimes even extra newlines) into a single space. You learn to be creative when formatting.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

good article in this latest issue of Kiting magazine

about how to do a grass roots sport kite competition (by Marc Conklin).

You could apply those same principles to your fun kite fly instructional sessions. As you keep going back to the same place and meeting more & more folks, they will join-up and the organization will grow. Many kite clubs were formed the same way. The toughest assignment is finding that one spot where you can return frequently and are always welcomed to fly your kites. You share enough of your love and toys, ..... then pretty soon there's a whole bunch of you flying in unison together!!!

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

Danny, are you in touch with these guys?

http://www.dako.us/

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

John,
I have met with one of the people from Dako, but as far as I can tell they are pretty insular, and normally gather for the occasional fun fly/ the one or two events that happen in north Tx a year. I'm looking for more of generating a little more waves then that. Every time I go out flying, either duals or quads, I get people showing interest. If the local org is only interested in doing a few things here and there it's going seem a little moot to me. As you know I'm an avid flyer, and I would like to get more people in my area interested. I'll probably finally get my AKA stuff so if I can get this off the ground and I will at least have some insurance to help out for anything over the top. (now if only that applied to damages to custom kites lol.) Any more input would be nice, heck who knows maybe if I can get enough people involved I may find a way to sponsor iquad to work a day or two into their schedule to do a clinic, though I think that may take a bit of time an effort before I can even get that a 10th of the fruition I would like it to be.

Danny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users