#21 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

POPULAR

Look,, there's no way around it, if you fly a kite often enough it will eventually wear out too.  It's made light weight, so durability is always a secondary factor.  Enough hours of UV radiation, sand, your own abuse plus giving occasional lessons,.... These items assure you that everything will fail eventually.  

For me, I get about 2-1/2 seasons from a full sail Pro kite (and a Zen too) before it needs to replaced.  Mid-vents last probably 4 and full vent will last me for at least 6 years.  These kites are very seldom used locally, where most of my hours will be spent.

You can blow smoke thru the sail material, stress fractures parallel with the down spars, nicks and holes in the leading edge (but NOT where it folds or at the center, 'cause I pay extra to have 'em built custom with these high wear spots in mind!)  I break sticks too, usually into a seawall diagonally, not for years in flight though, HA!  Thin spars are splinted due to abrasion between the caps and tubes.  There's dust, dirt, pollen, sweat, bug-spray, Dugard's bubble solution, kids' hand and foot prints on the fabric.  I have never washed a kite, but I have assembled 'em until dry, if used in tough weather conditions.  I don't care that the leading edge rips away, everything else is going to fail right around the same time.

Dantonio and my bride commented once, that the kite i was flying was an embarrassment to my family!  I have since replaced a Zen, a full sail, mid-vent, and full vent pro, all were hot fade, black center custom constructions.  The latest Zen had "more stuff tacked-on" than I have ever done before, and quite naturally, it was priced accordingly!

v eyes:back copy.jpg v eyes frnt copy.jpg

Awhile back, I laughingly ordered this vented eyes in jest and surprise surprise, a few months later Ben shows up holding it out for me, then handing Barbara an equally surprising invoice.

The only way a kite stays pristine is if you aren't using it enough!  Do you think the people in line for your inheritance care about your great rev kite collection?  You don't honestly believe a sport kite is a sound investment for future re-sale, do you? They're your thing, use it accordingly now.  I can recognize friends on a full flying field just by the kites they own up in the air.  That speaks volumes, use and enjoy, you don't know what the future holds.

I spank 'em like step-children behind the woodshed.  Try it yourself, it will take thousands of hours but you too can wear out a revolution and make wrinkles in your face permanent (from all the smiling)

What a great time I have wasting money on all things kite related, decades of pleasure on revs alone.

#22 Dayhiker

Dayhiker
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

Look,, there's no way around it, if you fly a kite often enough it will eventually wear out too.

The only way a kite stays pristine is if you aren't using it enough!  Do you think the people in line for your inheritance care about your great rev kite collection?

What a great time I have wasting money on all things kite related, decades of pleasure on revs alone.

This is sage wisdom.  This is why I actually drive my 80 year old car.  People occasionally ask, "Did you drive that to this meet?"  I smile later as I drive off, maybe with a little extra zoom.

May the forest be with you

AKA member

"I live back in the woods, you see
A woman & the kids, & the dogs & me"

Bocephus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users