• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wldwoodflyr99

Wldwoodflyr99
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

Hi,

I am "new" to rev flying seeing that there have been many people around perfecting their flying for years. I have been flying a rev 1.5 SLE for 2 years and I have good control of the kite in different wind conditions. I was thinking, as to get more practice, to get shorter lines so that I could fly more often. How do shorter lines compare to the longer lines? Where is a good place to get them? Is flying with shorter lines more difficult? What is a good length for short lines? Also, I am looking to fly outside with short lines, not inside without wind.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

Hi,

I am "new" to rev flying seeing that there have been many people around perfecting their flying for years. I have been flying a rev 1.5 SLE for 2 years and I have good control of the kite in different wind conditions. I was thinking, as to get more practice, to get shorter lines so that I could fly more often. How do shorter lines compare to the longer lines? Where is a good place to get them? Is flying with shorter lines more difficult? What is a good length for short lines? Also, I am looking to fly outside with short lines, not inside without wind.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Shorter lines are like longer lies but shorter :D. The most noticeable effect of using short lines is that your wind windows becomes much smaller. This can be a problem when doing large maneuvers. However the short lines allow for fitting into tighter spaces, and allow for some more 3D types of flying like the toss and catch. A good place to get them would be The Kite Shoppe. I wouldn't say that flying on short lines is more difficult, but it is different. When using short lines, your flying space is more limited, so you tend to have to control your speed and hover more. My preferred length for short lines is 30 feet.

Some other benefits to short lines you might notice is that they make it easier to fly in really light and swirling winds. My 30 foot line set is what I usually use when street kiting as well.

Hope this helps,
~Watty

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

Hey Mike! Welcome to the forum!

What length lines are you currently using? Did you get the 90' lines that often come in the SLE package?

Longer lines like 120s will slow the kite down and give you more time to control it. Shorter lines will result in a much faster response. So in one sense, shorter lines can force you to learn control real fast since you don't have much time to react. I use short lines outside in light wind and when I have a lack of airspace. I started out with 30s and then moved up to 50s (for that reaction time element).

Noticing your handle, are you in NJ? If so, you need to hook up with Antman on this forum, who is also in Wildwood. He's always been a huge help to myself and others when learning to fly. He can hook you up with his local kite shop to get supplies.

Otherwise... people here will always recommend for their Rev needs:
The Kite Shoppe - http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/
A Wind Of Change - http://www.awindofchange.com/

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#4 Wldwoodflyr99

Wldwoodflyr99
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

Thanks guys. I have met antman and I've flown with him a few times. I'm now looking to purchase some short 30 ft lines which i think should work for me. And also I still use the 90' lines that came with the rev.

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

My 2 cents worth- I like my 50'x50# set for shorter, lighter lines!! Kind of a compromise, enough length for fitting in tight spaces, but light enough for light winds too!! :) Shorter definitely means quicker response and faster reflexes!!:w00t:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

My 30 foot line set is what I usually use when street kiting as well.

Hope this helps,
~Watty

Is the new vid John and you made on Saturday online yet? :)

Awesome flying on 30 feet!

#7 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

Is the new vid John and you made on Saturday online yet? :)

Awesome flying on 30 feet!

Yes!
http://www.revkites....__0

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:44 AM

I think what I would do if I were you is this: Get Antman to help you cut down the lines that came with the kite originally into a 30' set and a 50' set. Then, buy new long lines from The Kite Shoppe. 120's if you don't already have them. That's my 2 cents
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#9 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

Welcome to the forum! Are you flying on crowded beaches, generally? If so, short lines may be a good idea. When I was learning, I used my short lines a lot, mostly so I would take up less space on the beach. When you don't have perfect control, it's nervewracking to have people walking beneath your lines/kite all the time, or walking into them with toy single lines. But if you have the space, I don't see much reason to go short. But then, some people have lots of fun with shorties, as you can see from the other posts. And you can leave your kite set up on the beach with less chance of people walking through your lines. But ultimately, you will want 120' lines. Now I find anything shorter kind of annoying. It's nice to have the big window to play in. Also good for learning--you've got more space to practice in, and more time to recover if you mess up.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#10 Wldwoodflyr99

Wldwoodflyr99
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

Thanks again. I think I may have met you scott_of_melnsct in wildwood. I usually fly on the peir side of the convention center with not many people. I think I may go with cutting the lines down and get 120' lines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users