Photo

new sail verses older broke in sail ?????

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

I dont exactly know how to ask the question that I want answerd!!!
but here it goes ...

Does a used broke in sail fly better than a new crisp sail??

the reason I ask is because I started flying a EXP,
It has been through a few seasons, or more, wet and dry.
I finaly saved enough to get a std/sail B-series.
I was so excited to get it, started to fly it !!!
And it feels like I can fly the EXP, so much smoother,
precise, BETTER..
I fly the b-series most, and use the exp for NOT so good weather!!
so in YOUR opinion, or experteeees...
is it ......
1. new verses broke in
2.new verses comfortable (kite I learned on)
3.style of sail
4.lack of experience
5.preferance
.......by the way my regular flying is in dirty, inland, valley wind
but going to long beach next month , WCRC, to see if I can learn something!
hopefully not to find out, I have taught myself a bunch of bad habits!!??

..Anyway, does a broke in sail fly better than a new one ?
the more reply's the better
knowledge is power!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

..........what is YOUR OPINION??????..............THANK'S.......Posted Image
..........................W I N D P O A C H E R..........................
...........................thank god for wind..........................
............................thank him often..........................

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

EXP better than a B, WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP!! tee hee :kid_devlish:

I would be tempted to think it might be reason 2 on your list. However if you have flown the B lots that would blow that out of the water.

I presume you are flying the B as suggested with lots of brake in your handle tuning, Oh and the down spars on the back of course. :)

I started off with a stretched old EXP and loved it. However the Bs rule for me now.

#3 aile_mt

aile_mt
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

I would think harder sail or harder structure is nervous in dirty wind.

You will fly better with the B in smooth wind at beach.

#4 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

New versus old?? Hard to say!!:kid_smartass: When I got my SUL this summer, it was new, but now it's my first choice most days!!:) So now it's old, but flown hard!! :) Still fly my (13year old) Rev 1, old, stretched, worn, but still a great fly!!:) Shows how well they'll last, better than a lot of stuff!! EXP OVER A "B"??? HERESY!!!:devil:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#5 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:49 AM

a good solid tight sail is always best..i kinda like the sail after a few flights then u can tune it just right
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#6 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm thinking maybe you need to play with your break settings a bit, not sure which way but "suck it and see".

Edit: Punctuation.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#7 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

If you like it fly it.

I had a Red & Black nylon 1.5 years ago and I loved it - its flown to the point were the sail is lovely and soft.

But, then I fly in the worst wind in the World FACT !!! To the point first time I flew on the beach I didn't know what was going on :kid_frustrated:

In good smooth wind a B, is really nice. But B mid vent... Round here is the most popular. So you will probably find both useful.

Enjoy.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#8 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

baloo....If I ever said a exp was better than a B-series,
"I would eat a bar of soap, and blow bubble's out of my nose"Posted Image ha ha !!
as of now I fly the exp..smoother!
and I do think #2 on my list has a bit to do with it!! thank you for your comments...

aile mt....I really like what you said "nervous in dirty wind"....

That really fits the profile.!! because I can fly it the same, it is just not as smooth or gracefull!!!
and now that I think of it I only got the B-series, at the begining of this winter season ,
so I havent really flown it in any clean wind..YET..(this may have been a premature question)
thank you...aile mt
stroke victim....
Thanks for all your input......"HERSEY"......."I WOULD EAT THE SOAP"Posted Image
I choose the B-series, over the exp,...and Im working on the smoothness!!! thanks again!!Posted Image

antman...I agree.. but with this I had to ask!!!and I will see if I got the proper tuning at WCKC .
thanks for the input.
stone in shoe bob...I have played with the brake setting from one extreme to the other..looking to try it in decent wind though! hopefully soon!! thank you!!
simon....I DO LIKE it!!! and I do fly it ...do you really have the worst wind? I thought I had it !!? I am looking into vented!!thanks for the reply! Posted Image .................THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INSIGHT AND OPINIONS!!!!!!
I AM GOOD FOR MORE RESPONSES IF THEIR IS ANY OTHERS ...I AM STILL WINDLESS AT THE MOMENT!!!
I HOPE TO MEET SOME OF YOU AT THE "WCKC"...................Posted Image

#9 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Cheers SV, Simon actually has the best reply so far.

If you like it, fly the heck out of it, no matter what type of Rev, more correctly no matter what type of kite. :)

#10 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:19 AM

Hopefully soon, I'll be adding a "B" mid-vent to the bag!! It'll be the "new one"!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#11 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hope you will like it, the venting helps sort out those gusty winds.

#12 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

Hope you will like it, the venting helps sort out those gusty winds.

Hey, at least both of us would have had soap involved!!!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#13 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

simon....I DO LIKE it!!! and I do fly it ...do you really have the worst wind? I thought I had it !!? I am looking into vented!!thanks for the reply! Posted Image .................THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INSIGHT AND OPINIONS!!!!!!
I AM GOOD FOR MORE RESPONSES IF THEIR IS ANY OTHERS ...I AM STILL WINDLESS AT THE MOMENT!!!
I HOPE TO MEET SOME OF YOU AT THE "WCKC"...................Posted Image

Hey now there's a poll waiting to happen, who has the worst flying site. :kid_devlish:

I put forward Epsom Downs, some plant that catches lines and because it the home of the Derby only gets once a year. Oh and it's in a hollow, oh and its 60 miles from the nearest beach, oh and the prevailing wind, is either down the slope or over the Grandstand.

That's why I travel 60 miles to fly with the Dunstable Crew. Oh and I'm quite good indoors :blue-cool:

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#14 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

Simon - Epsom Downs sounds like a terrible place to fly!!!:censored: No wonder you drive to other place!!!:)

wayne from portland

AKA member

#15 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

Never fear, they'll get you all sorted out at the clinic.

Maybe too much wind for it? Careful not to stretch it out too much. The sail will stretch a little, this is good, but if you fly it in higher winds than it wants, then it will stretch a lot. This is bad. I know. I have a standard B that was my one and only for years, and I flew it when I should have switched up to my then non-existent mid and vented. And now the trailing edge is billowy.

The exp is a flatter sail, right? Maybe it's dumping more wind for you, which is good if there's a bit much. Or when a gust hits.

What will probably happen at clinic is, they'll let your top lines out to the point that you almost can't get the kite off the ground. You'll protest. But once you do get it flying, you'll find the kite will be so much less twitchy. You'll fly it like that for a while, get better, and then find you can let out the top lines one, maybe even two knots more! Aaahhhhhhh..... You'll be amazed at how much nicer it is flying in good wind. I think you'll really feel the benefits of the B. But for now, keep flying the exp!

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

finaly got some wind !!! so after some experimenting, I have come to the conclusion...
that the older broke in exp sail.. fly's smoother in the dirty,choppy,gusty wind ...
The newer b-series sail fly's WAY better in a decsent, cleaner wind !!!!

---Experiment---
yesterday, gusty,choppy, 5-15 mph...both sails, same handles, lines,and brake settings
at two seperate locations, park with some trees, then 8 miles away with no trees or anything for miles
older broke in sail, flys smooth, newer b-series sail flys nervous, not so smooth(irritating)

today... decsent, not so gusty...5-15 mph...both sails, same as above, even the location...
the older exp flew close to the same as always,
The newer B-series,FLEW AWESOME, smoother and more precise ,than I could imagine ,for MY skill level

cant wait to get it to the beach ,(THE B-SERIES THAT IS)
and just for the record if I had some WIND in the last couple (or more)weeks ,I would have been to busy flying
to post this topic (being I think to much , and post, only when I am WINDLESSSS)

Thank's KATRINA.........and ALL WHO ADDED INPUT.............HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users