Hello from NC

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 NCREVR

NCREVR
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

Just wanted to say HI and even though I don't own a Rev yet or have I flown a stunt kite, I'm ready to enter the Darkside. I'm sure with enough practice I will master it. On that note I was wondering that living in eastern NC where the winds can get high at times would a standard surfice or should I get a vented? I was thinking of getting a B2 any thoughts on this kite for a beginner? Also what does SLE and LE stand for?

#2 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

Welcome!

If you have consistently high winds I say a mid vent or a full vent would be good.

I'd hold off on the B2 until you have a little more experience.

LE = Leading Edge
SLE = Super Leading Edge (it's a fatter, stiffer leading edge rod)

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#3 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:42 AM

Welcome to the "Dark Side"........................dive in !!!! Posted Image

ps.......... SLE (super leading edge) is 7/16" diameter, while the regular LE (leading edge) is 1/4"

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

Nick, from North Carolina, USA
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#4 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

WELCOME !!!!!...........from Oregon!!!!!........and YES do "DIVE IN"..................Posted Image ...............!!!!!!!!.............Posted Image

..........................W I N D P O A C H E R..........................
...........................thank god for wind..........................
............................thank him often..........................

#5 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:13 AM

Hi Lee
Welcome to the forum and an slightly premature welcome to The Darkside. :big_starwars:
It may be helpful to add a bit to Aldan’s explanation, Re SLE.

SLE = Super Leading Edge (it's a fatter, stiffer leading edge rod). Also think heavier and tougher.

Now this is where it gets a little confusing but I think you need to know this if choosing a first Rev. There is a kite called the SLE (well three actually, Std, Vented & SUL) here the SLE denotes the sail pattern introduced with the then new SLE leading edge. However the SLE (leading edge, not sail) has now largely fallen out of favour with many experienced Rev fliers and the SLE kites can now I believe, be bought with either SLEs or the more popular thinner leading edge. It is important you know which you are getting if buying a 1.5.

Although the thicker leading has fallen out of favour, in the interest of balance, I ought to point out that it does have its advantages, especially for a newbie. Being thicker, will be much stronger, dare I say it almost indestructible, which has to be good when you are learning to fly. It is also heavier which will help you control a kite near the top end of its wind range.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:02 AM

Bob's right - Most of the SLE kites are sold with 1 SLE (thicker tube) LE, and 1 (1/4") LE! If you're just getting into the quad world, this is an excellent place to start!!:) The SLE tube will take just about any abuse you can dish out!!:lol: Then when you have gotten a good level of control, can fly predictably, then switch to the thinner rod for a different feel!! Still flies in the "same" manner, just a different style of control!! Many feel the 3 wrap 1/4" rod is just as tough as the SLE rod!! Just lighter and "flexier"! :) So it's almost like getting 2 kites in 1!! If you're looking for an inexpensive option - consider the EXP model, offers all the control and you can upgrade it by buying different frame sets for it!! They'll swap between all the Rev 1.5 models!! Word to starters, check your lines before flying the first time!!! Posted Image Make sure they are all the same length, this alone has caused more problems than a lot of things!!! Also, if you go with the EXP or SLE models, take the top connection loops off your handles and make yourself longer ones!!! This way you'll be able to adjust your kite to the wind and maintain control!!! There are some very good descriptions of leaders on this forum, you'll do well to check them out!! What ever choice you make, you can't go wrong!!!:) If you have the opportunity to fly with other Rev pilots, go for it!! They are very willing to help a beginner sort out problems and get you off to a "flying" start!!! Just too much fun to be had!!!! Welcome to the "Darkside"!!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 lylenc

lylenc
  • Forum Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

I used to favor the SLE rod over the wrapped rods; now I like them equally. That's mainly due to lower winds most of the time where I fly, so more opportunity to fly. The SLE is stiffer than the wrapped rods, so inputs to the SLE are acted on quicker. The wrapped rods have more flex, so inputs are dampened (similar to shock absorber). The flex makes it easier for beginners to learn, since some of their bad or sloppy inputs are dampened out. The SLE responds to more of those inadvertent inputs.

I think of the difference in feel on the end of lines in terms of an old beater car's steering (wrapped) VS a new sports car's steering (SLE) as far as response to the inputs; you move your hands/wrists less with the SLE to get the same response. IMHO, wrapped is better for team, precision, low wind range, and beginner flying (more time to think before crash). SLE is better for crisp quick response and high wind flying.

Of course, once you know your own personal prefereces and most common flying conditions, you will have different opinions. The opinions depend on the day's flying field conditions, your mood, and weather conditions. That's the key to answering which kite, which rod, which line length, and which handles.

I learned to fly quads on a Rev II that I only flew in high winds, when dual line kites were too difficult to trick. I didn't have a vented kite. There wasn't much time to think, but it got the job done after a long learning curve. A 1.5 is easier to learn on, and even more so with wrapped rods instead of SLE.
"Just One More"
Craig
Walla Walla, WA

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

Bob's right - Most of the SLE kites are sold with 1 SLE (thicker tube) LE, and 1 (1/4") LE! If you're just getting into the quad world, this is an excellent place to start!!:) The SLE tube will take just about any abuse you can dish out!!:lol: Then when you have gotten a good level of control, can fly predictably, then switch to the thinner rod for a different feel!! Still flies in the "same" manner, just a different style of control!! Many feel the 3 wrap 1/4" rod is just as tough as the SLE rod!! Just lighter and "flexier"! :) So it's almost like getting 2 kites in 1!! If you're looking for an inexpensive option - consider the EXP model, offers all the control and you can upgrade it by buying different frame sets for it!! They'll swap between all the Rev 1.5 models!! Word to starters, check your lines before flying the first time!!! Posted Image Make sure they are all the same length, this alone has caused more problems than a lot of things!!! Also, if you go with the EXP or SLE models, take the top connection loops off your handles and make yourself longer ones!!! This way you'll be able to adjust your kite to the wind and maintain control!!! There are some very good descriptions of leaders on this forum, you'll do well to check them out!! What ever choice you make, you can't go wrong!!!:) If you have the opportunity to fly with other Rev pilots, go for it!! They are very willing to help a beginner sort out problems and get you off to a "flying" start!!! Just too much fun to be had!!!! Welcome to the "Darkside"!!!:)

I don't know if you have noticed it, SLE is no longer printed on the sail. I think this changed in early 2010 when the black centers came about.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#9 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

I don't know if you have noticed it, SLE is no longer printed on the sail. I think this changed in early 2010 when the black centers came about.

No I didn't, but I did check the under Products on the Main site and they are still listed there as SLEs.

I was a little uneasy about referring to the non-B non-EXP 1.5s as SLE's now that they are so often sold without SLEs particularly the SUL that never had an SLE. Confused yet? I am and I wrote it. :wacko:
Stone in Shoe Bob

#10 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

I bought a 1.5 SLE full vent last summer, red, white and blue; it still had SLE on the sail!!!:) And it came with both a SLE LE and a 3 wrap LE, 4 wrap vertical spars, 80' of 90# line and standard 13" handles without leaders and a sleeve!! The r/w/b combo had the white center, don't know if that makes a difference! Made my own leaders and also modified the handles using the "Stone in Shoe Bob" method!! Got the 4 wrap LE for it in high winds, but haven't had to use it very often!! :) I'm sure Rev packages up different combos to their retailers, make sure you understand what comes in the package and get needed things accordingly!! One thing you'll find useful is a stake for your handles, especially good for sand or grass!!:) Good luck with your choice - you can't go wrong no matter what you get!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#11 NCREVR

NCREVR
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:12 AM

Thanks everyone your help in this matter. I have picked out my kite, I'm going with the 1.5
SLE with an extra frame 1/4", lines and handles. So that should keep me busy for awhile. I'm sure I will have tons of questions during my endeavor, so be prepared. I can't wait to enter the "Darkside"

#12 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

Thanks everyone your help in this matter. I have picked out my kite, I'm going with the 1.5
SLE with an extra frame 1/4", lines and handles. So that should keep me busy for awhile. I'm sure I will have tons of questions during my endeavor, so be prepared. I can't wait to enter the "Darkside"

I try to avoid giving firm, out and out, buy this advice to anyone, preferring to set out the pros and cons of the reasonable options to help folks make their own choices, but it seems to me you have made a sensible first step.

There is a piece of advice I don’t mind giving for step two. If you can, try and find an experienced Rev flyer to help you with your set-up and first flight, it is by no means essential, but a bit of face to face advice is invaluable and may save you from a little frustration a few early disappointments.

If you can’t find help with those first steps, study the instruction DVD it may seem “dated” but there is some very good advice in there, wait for a day when you can feel a decent breeze on your face, not too strong, but a decent breeze, put the thick leading edge in and go for it. Keep the thinner L/E in the bag until you can take of and land with some degree of control. Rev rods are much tougher than you would imagine but there’s no sense in taking chances.

Above all ENJOY!

Oh, and BTW.
The sticks go on the back. (in joke)
Stone in Shoe Bob

#13 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

Couldn't agree more, a great choice!!! Enjoy your new kite!!!:) Don't forget to breath!!!!:kid_devlish:

wayne from portland

AKA member

#14 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:59 AM

Hi Lee!

If you need any hands on help, there are lots of us quad flyers in eastern NC - we're on the Outer Banks in Corolla, but you also have 'helpers' in the Roanoke Rapids area, Cary/Raliegh, Atlantic Beach ... we're EveryWhere!! :blink: B)

If you come over here, please let us know when you're coming so we can be sure to give you all the time you need. And no, we don't charge for lessons!

Goodluck, Cath

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#15 louiedogg03

louiedogg03

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

Hey Lee I just saw your post. Let me know when you get your Rev and You can come down to Fort Macon and I can give you some lessons and if your are still not sure which one you want to fly you can come down and I can show you a couple different ones that I have. I fly down at Fort Macon every Friday and Saturday. Just let me know.
Louie Tiberio

#16 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:22 AM

Just wanted to say HI and even though I don't own a Rev yet or have I flown a stunt kite, I'm ready to enter the Darkside. I'm sure with enough practice I will master it. On that note I was wondering that living in eastern NC where the winds can get high at times would a standard surfice or should I get a vented? I was thinking of getting a B2 any thoughts on this kite for a beginner? Also what does SLE and LE stand for?

Well Lee first let me welcome you to the forum and invite you to ask what ever you want here and as we say "Welcome to the Darkside, we have milk and cookies" .......
BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 NCREVR

NCREVR
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

Couldn't agree more, a great choice!!! Enjoy your new kite!!!:) Don't forget to breath!!!!:kid_devlish:

Thanks for the thumbs up and TRUST me I won't forget.

#18 NCREVR

NCREVR
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hi Lee!

If you need any hands on help, there are lots of us quad flyers in eastern NC - we're on the Outer Banks in Corolla, but you also have 'helpers' in the Roanoke Rapids area, Cary/Raliegh, Atlantic Beach ... we're EveryWhere!! :blink: B)

If you come over here, please let us know when you're coming so we can be sure to give you all the time you need. And no, we don't charge for lessons!

Goodluck, Cath

Thanks for the invitation I will defiantly keep that in mine, I'm getting together with Reef Runner this weekend so hopefully I can learn something and to pickup my kite.

#19 NCREVR

NCREVR
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

Well Lee first let me welcome you to the forum and invite you to ask what ever you want here and as we say "Welcome to the Darkside, we have milk and cookies" .......
BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks for the welcome and I LOVE milk and cookies. I'm a big boy what can I say.

#20 NCREVR

NCREVR
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

Hey Lee I just saw your post. Let me know when you get your Rev and You can come down to Fort Macon and I can give you some lessons and if your are still not sure which one you want to fly you can come down and I can show you a couple different ones that I have. I fly down at Fort Macon every Friday and Saturday. Just let me know.

I'm up there in the summertime, so I will keep you in mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users