46 replies to this topic

#41 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

I typed in my complete address, including city, state & zip. It put the marker in the middle of my roof of my unit in the six-unit twonhouse.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#42 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:04 PM

Sorry folks, due to the wife's insecurities about security and reminding me of said fact, we're no longer on the map. Posted Image It would be cool if the map was restricted somehow so other folks couldn't zoom in so close and hit "satellite" to see exactly where your house is. General area is probably good enough (I think). Any thoughts?

You could always just place the pin in the center of your city/town, or maybe on your usual kiting field.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#43 FlyEmAll

FlyEmAll
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

You could always just place the pin in the center of your city/town, or maybe on your usual kiting field.

Makes total sense to pin where you fly so others can meet up. Thought some awareness might be necessary. Thanks for the input guys.

#44 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

FlyEmAll,

It's all for fun anyways, so if it isn't fun for your wife, don't do it.

Frankly, though, the battle for privacy is long lost. If we are going to do anything about it, we have to make the penalties for abusing privacy so utterly dreadful that people are not tempted to abuse it.

The penalty for ABUSING my privacy is pretty dreadful. But, using publicly available information to visit me or connect with me, is why it is public in the first place.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#45 FlyEmAll

FlyEmAll
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

FlyEmAll,

Frankly, though, the battle for privacy is long lost. If we are going to do anything about it, we have to make the penalties for abusing privacy so utterly dreadful that people are not tempted to abuse it.

The penalty for ABUSING my privacy is pretty dreadful. But, using publicly available information to visit me or connect with me, is why it is public in the first place.

Oh, so true. Now that she's happy I changed it, I need some more help from y'all. I need someone to teach her how to fly during WSIKF this year so she WILL have some fun. Just don't tell her I sent you.Posted Image

Edited by FlyEmAll, 02 August 2011 - 08:03 PM.

#46 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:15 AM

FlyEmAll,

Pete's right............the battle for privacy is long lost. If anyone knows your home address, your phone number, your auto license tag, or just your name & city, they can easily determine your physical address, and likewise, with any of the numerous, mapping programs, found online, your direct gps coordinates can be pinpointed, quite easily. With today's satellite & bird's eye views, most any 10 year old, can take a look, right in your backyard, or down your chimmney..... Unfortunately, we do live in a world, that is full of readily available, social information. As Pete said, the battle for privacy is long lost.
However, from a personal standpoint, "Kite Fliers", would be the least of my concerns............ Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

Nick, from North Carolina, USA
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#47 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

My friends have jokingly called me a professional grade stalker due to my ability to weave information together from various sources :innocent:

My location on the member map is not my home address, but if anyone wants to come to SA and teach me they're welcome to have it. The only people I'm scared of is Bart and KiteCowboy (both of them have been mentally affected by the cold up there) and Monkey (keeps threatening to do bad things to me with a SLE). :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users