46 replies to this topic

#21 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

I just got on the map, but it put me in the middle of the woods on the satellite. Maybe it is the center of my whole address, but it would take me 20 minutes to walk to my marker from the house.

If you type in your address, it should put your marker right on that spot!!:) If you use a town or county, it's going to be more general in location!! Up to you how exact you want to be!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#22 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

If you type in your address, it should put your marker right on that spot!!Posted Image If you use a town or county, it's going to be more general in location!! Up to you how exact you want to be!!Posted Image

Yes I used my street address, but with a bunch of acreage the street address must be centering it within the 56 acres.

#23 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Yes I used my street address, but with a bunch of acreage the street address must be centering it within the 56 acres.

56 acres??? Can you fly in your back yard??? :kid_devlish: I got to go somewhere to fly, no room at home!!!:kid_brooding: Unless really short lines!!!:huh:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#24 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

I on x
tommy harrison

#25 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

If you type in your address, it should put your marker right on that spot!!:) If you use a town or county, it's going to be more general in location!! Up to you how exact you want to be!!:)

There is no address at the Blackheath site but the default is probably only 400 yards to the east of the actual location of our regular flying field.

Felix

#26 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

I just got on the map, but it put me in the middle of the woods on the satellite. Maybe it is the center of my whole address, but it would take me 20 minutes to walk to my marker from the house.

Go to google earth, set your measurements (in the Options or Preferences) to decimal minutes, hover over your house and read the lat/lon at the bottom of the page. Then enter those as your location on the member map using the form:

(thanks to Reef Runner)
hddd mm.mmm
h = hemisphere
dd = degrees
mm.mmm = minutes carried out to 3 decimal places

So, you will be somewhere near N42 28.4xx W079 6.0xx (I don't know exactly where you are, but this is how the numbers are supposed to look.)

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#27 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

You can be pretty accurate: 0degree 0.001 minutes is about 6 feet, so you can specify to the nearest six feet.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#28 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:20 AM

Go to google earth, set your measurements (in the Options or Preferences) to decimal minutes, hover over your house and read the lat/lon at the bottom of the page. Then enter those as your location on the member map using the form:

(thanks to Reef Runner)
hddd mm.mmm
h = hemisphere
dd = degrees
mm.mmm = minutes carried out to 3 decimal places

So, you will be somewhere near N42 28.4xx W079 6.0xx (I don't know exactly where you are, but this is how the numbers are supposed to look.)

Pete

You're pretty darn close!! The last numbers I put in was N42 28.6175 W079 6.1809 but I can't get across the road to my place, but I assume the 4th decimal place doesn't count for anything. I'll cross the road by the end of the day I hope.

Mike

#29 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:40 AM

It's a pity that you don't get to edit your location, but must enter it completely every time you change. I think I will put a little text-file on my desktop, and edit that. That way I can cut-n-paste to the location box (and not forget exactly what I tried the previous time). And, yes, I think the 4th decimal is unused. Still, the 3rd decimal equals about 6 feet, so you should be able to get pretty close.

I still see you in the middle of the woods.

Just had a thought: if it doesn't like the 4th decimal, perhaps it is leaving your old setting. Try N42 28.617 W079 6.181 and see where it puts you. Then adjust by adjusting the 3rd decimal by 1 for every six feet you want to move. (That's for N-S; E-W will be slightly less. The actual amount is 6 feet * Cosine (Lon), but 4 or 5 feet is close enough.)

Edited by --Pete, 19 February 2011 - 06:49 AM.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#30 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:53 AM

It's a pity that you don't get to edit your location, but must enter it completely every time you change. I think I will put a little text-file on my desktop, and edit that. That way I can cut-n-paste to the location box (and not forget exactly what I tried the previous time). And, yes, I think the 4th decimal is unused. Still, the 3rd decimal equals about 6 feet, so you should be able to get pretty close.

I still see you in the middle of the woods.

Just had a thought: if it doesn't like the 4th decimal, perhaps it is leaving your old setting. Try N42 28.617 W079 6.181 and see where it puts you. Then adjust by adjusting the 3rd decimal by 1 for every six feet you want to move. (That's for N-S; E-W will be slightly less. The actual amount is 6 feet * Cosine (Lon), but 4 or 5 feet is close enough.)

I've tried it over and over N42 28.616 W079 6.176, N42 28.615 W079 6.176, N42 28.616 W079 6.175 and I'm either in the wood or across the road. Now I'm afraid to leave the house, I'll never get back!

#31 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:59 AM

I've got to try this. You may see me as a "neighbor" for a while. (I will "go home" eventually.)
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#32 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

I agree. There is something very odd going on. It looks like if you try to place a marker close to the road, it "jumps" to the road. I guess I would just try to get in the road as close to your house as possible. (Going "home" now.)
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#33 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:22 AM

I agree. There is something very odd going on. It looks like if you try to place a marker close to the road, it "jumps" to the road. I guess I would just try to get in the road as close to your house as possible. (Going "home" now.)

It's fun trying to really pinpoint it with the numbers, and I was editing it at first. I'll have to pull out the gps and try it from outside.

#34 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

I've got to try this. You may see me as a "neighbor" for a while. (I will "go home" eventually.)

Take your time, plenty of room here for a kite festival.

#35 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

it seems to make adjustments of my location by about 600 foot increments. adjustments in the 3rd decimal place have no effect at all. I have bounced my location back and forth between the same two spots, each about 100 yards on either side of my house. I have settled for the adjacent pasture, as it is nicer than the trailer down the road.

Better call before you visit. We live in the mountains of east Tennessee. The neighbors carry guns.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#36 MtnFlyer

MtnFlyer
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

If you type in your address, it should put your marker right on that spot!!:)

Go to google ... hover over your house and read the lat/lon at the bottom of the page. Then enter those as your location on the member map...
...So, you will be somewhere near N42 28.4xx W079 6.0xx (I don't know exactly where you are, but this is how the numbers are supposed to look.)

It must be the (lack of) accuracy in my rural area but I tried my street address (it put the marker about 400yds to the south in the street) and google maps-derived Lat/Lon (it put the marker about 200 yds to the ENE on a neighbor's house). Even mapping with my phone's gps gave me the correct coordinates but converted it to the neighbor's street address. Oh well. Posted Image
Bob

#37 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

Pete, It's something with this map. If I enter the cordinates, N42 28.628 W079 6.285 , into Google Maps, it puts an arrow right on top of his house. However, if I try to do it on the map program on Kitelife or the Rev site, it puts the mark across the highway, where he is showing up now. As you say, something strange going on.

I ran into the same problem, trying to get Duane's house marked. I could do it on other maps, but not on the member map ????

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

Nick, from North Carolina, USA
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#38 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

Possibly it only uses the first TWO decimal places.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#39 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

Possibly it only uses the first TWO decimal places.

That didn't work either. Still across the highway. I don't understand. I did the exact same thing, that I did on your location, but it won't work. I wonder if possibly, we need to get hyzakite to completely remove his location first?

Hyzakite, if you are reading this, go to the map page and delete your location, completely. Then exit the Rev website, close your browser, refresh the page, and then come back and start over. Copy these coordinates [ N42 28.628 W079 6.285 ] and paste them into the box, for "your" location. Then go back and see if it moves the balloon across the road, to your house. They will put the arrow right on your roof, in Google Maps. Try it and let us know.......................Posted Image

nick

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

Nick, from North Carolina, USA
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#40 Exile

Exile

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

my marker isn't anywhere near my house. You don't have to put in your exact address for this.

I do agree with making profile info and the member map accessible to only registered members/users
KL# 881
RG# 558

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users