15 replies to this topic

#1 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

I bought my vented B as sail only, so I have no 4 wrap rods in my bag. I have 2s, 3s, race, and SLE. I've doubled the rods, and I've used the SLEs in high wind. Am I set, or would 4 wraps be worth having? Thanks!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#2 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

Want? Probably. Need? To be honest probably not but I'll bet a to a penny that before long you will have a set.

Go on, go for it you you know you Want to. :devil:
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#3 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

Want? Probably. Need? To be honest probably not but I'll bet a to a penny that before long you will have a set.

Go on, go for it you you know you Want to. :devil:

I would recommend getting the *'Xtra Vent sail with 4 wrap spars' so that you can extend the 'life' of the Vented B <grins>

(*for those moments when it is too much effort to hold onto the Vented B with 4 wrap spars...)

Felix

#4 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

I find 4wraps in the vented B to be nice and heavy they slow the kite down a bit and are nice and strong without being mega stiff. Never used an SLE but im guessing you lose a lot of flex in return for all that strength. I am not a great fan of stuffing the leading edge with 2 sets of rods but you could use 2 and 3s together "Hmmm 5". I love my race rods in full, mid and vented, but in strong winds the vented is a little to fast and bendy with the race rods, although they are very strong indeed. SO..... I find I mostly use 4wrap in the full vent. I wouldnt be without them.
Hope that makes sense. Whether it helps or not im not sure, that depends on the health of your pocket.
All the best T

Edited by tommylurvebus, 09 February 2011 - 12:14 PM.

tommy harrison

#5 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

I would recommend getting the *'Xtra Vent sail with 4 wrap spars' so that you can extend the 'life' of the Vented B <grins>

(*for those moments when it is too much effort to hold onto the Vented B with 4 wrap spars...)

Felix

Please help me explain this to the wife.
tommy harrison

#6 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

Exactly!

Felix

#7 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

Ah, all right then it's settled, it appears I do "need" 4 wraps. Thanks for your answers! And Felix, I really do like your Xtra vent argument. It seems it would really be SAVING me money in the long run, as I wouldn't have to replace my vented so soon, yes? Makes perfect sense. :blue-cool:

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#8 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Ah, all right then it's settled, it appears I do "need" 4 wraps. Thanks for your answers! And Felix, I really do like your Xtra vent argument. It seems it would really be SAVING me money in the long run, as I wouldn't have to replace my vented so soon, yes? Makes perfect sense. :blue-cool:

Hi Katrina,

I flew the Xtra Vent last Sunday (for the first time I should add) alongside others flying the Vented Bs and it was obvious that their sails were being stretched/stressed. We were flying in 25 - 30 mph winds as I understand it. The Xtra Vent was performing close to the Vented Bs in terms of window as far as I could tell and only required a moderate amount of flier input to keep it in the same flight line.

The Decs have flown Revolution Kites for many years and may have some of the most stretched and battered kites in our collection... <grins>

Felix

#9 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

I was going to say that it is rare that I use my 4 wraps, but it looks like I'm outnumbered!

Never hurts to have a set though.

Bart

#10 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:02 AM

Not as experienced as others, but I've broken 3-wrap down spars in winds that didn't seem so extraordinary. I've heard others say they've only broken down spars.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#11 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

I bought my vented B as sail only, so I have no 4 wrap rods in my bag. I have 2s, 3s, race, and SLE. I've doubled the rods, and I've used the SLEs in high wind. Am I set, or would 4 wraps be worth having? Thanks!

Katrina - I guess it depends on if you are comfortable "double stuffing" the LE!!Posted Image 4 wraps eliminate the need in most cases, not all, but most!!!:kid_devlish: I've never used my SLE tubes, I also have 2, 3, 4, and race rods to choose between!:) So far, I've gotten away without doubling up my LE because of my variety of choices!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#12 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

Ah, all right then it's settled, it appears I do "need" 4 wraps. Thanks for your answers! And Felix, I really do like your Xtra vent argument. It seems it would really be SAVING me money in the long run, as I wouldn't have to replace my vented so soon, yes? Makes perfect sense. Posted Image

Katrina
I have used 4 wraps a lot in my vented. They kick in very nicely about 20mph. I have flown them in gusts up to 40 feel ok with them.

John

#13 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:54 PM

Explain - No
Justify - Just tell her the wind is free and threaten to take up Golf, Clubs, Club Membership, Argyle Socks & Pullovers.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#14 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

Explain - No
Justify - Just tell her the wind is free and threaten to take up Golf, Clubs, Club Membership, Argyle Socks & Pullovers.

ROFLMAO!!!!:lol:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#15 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

Explain - No

Not to mention the cost of lost golf balls. I figure I lost about half a dozen or more on each trip.
Not lost anything flying yet, though I have given away a few stakes.

Ken

#16 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:25 AM

http://www.revkites....wimage&img=3831

I use four wraps in this kite and have flown in 40+ winds and have had no breakages,yet
All the best

Daz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users