21 replies to this topic

#21 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

I'm right handed, but I'm more co-ordinated with both handles in my right, so thats where they go and the pull (and catch) happens with my left. I then swap hands and throw with my right again.

I know I know ....
3 choices - Live with it, learn to throw left handed or learn to hold both handles in my left Posted Image

We all missed an obvious additional choice that I did today entirely out of reflex for no apparent reason that works REALLY well. I don't know what triggered it, but as per usual the handles went to my right hand, I reached out and pulled with my left and without thinking, something happened and I caught the kite in my right hand and the handles were in my left.

For whatever reason I had swapped the handles to my other hand between the pull and the catch !!!!

Rather puzzled and amused at what just happened, I thought about it for a second and realised that on the 20' lines I was on I did that with no rush or issues so I figured it must be repeatable. Threw the kite back out, flew it around and decided to try the swap intentionally this time. It worked without any problem :)

Time for the ultimate test...
I called my girlfriend over and proceeded to show her what I normally did (I got the 'I know this' look) followed by what I just discovered ... and again it was repeatable with no rush or stress. I figure if you can repeat something with someone watching you without any rush, then it's a perfectly fine skill that will stand up to repeated use.

While I know I should also practice my catch the 'right' way around, I now have a perfectly functional method for doing it the 'wrong' way and not having to finger fiddle with it after the catch. I thought that may be useful to anyone learning the skill who, like me, finds themselves more comfortable with both hands in their right hand for the pull.

#22 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

Sounds like a perfectly acceptable method to me!!! As long as it works for you........!!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users