43 replies to this topic

#41 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

I think the question, "to Google, or not to Google," is almost irrelevant here, I only suggested Google in the first place because it was the only free option I knew of, but if we have learned anything from this thread so far, it is that, unless the integrity of the map can be protected from corruption, be it accidental, mischievous or down right malicious, all you have is a hi-tech graffiti wall.

The proposal I had been working on was based on a "public" Google map with very restricted "write permissions" maybe just a couple of trusted "collaborators". This would have protected the map against corruption and ensured a degree standardised formatting.

The drawbacks were:-
1, it would be separate from the forum but still very reliant on the forum.
2, with a limited number of people able to update the map, updates to the map would have to have been by either email or PM application. This would slow that the building of the map and probably mean a phased build.

I was prepared to volunteer to build and run this map but I certainly wouldn't have done so without the approval of Forum Admin.

Given that we now have an official map built into the forum I see no justification for an "unofficial" competitor. What I was planning could have been an asset to the forum but doing it in Google, would have been a bit of a bodge.

Question - Can anyone move someone else s icon on the Google map??Posted Image That's no good if it can be done!!!:kid_cussing:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#42 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

Question - Can anyone move someone else s icon on the Google map??Posted Image That's no good if it can be done!!!:kid_cussing:

Unfortunately, the answer is: Yes, anyone who finds the overlay can move any pin on it. It's already happened a few times, possibly by accident. If it was intentional vandalism, I think more would have been moved.

Edited by --Pete, 17 February 2011 - 03:07 PM.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#43 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

That depends on the map settings set by the Map Owner.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#44 Puppeteer

Puppeteer
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:53 AM

Chris, I'm with you (& John) . . . . gone with the official map and added a link in my profile - much tidier :blue_smile:
It flies through the air in exactly the same way a dual line doesn't.
My Kite Flying Places

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users