43 replies to this topic

#21 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:51 AM

(Posted in wrong topic. Moved by author.)
Very weird. Someone moved my marker into the middle of Lake Superior. According to the tag, it was someone named "Archie", but when I clicked on "Archie" I was taken to the Profile of someone called "Biker Belle". I've moved it back home, but I expect we all need to check our tag locations occasionally.

Possibly someone didn't like my custom marker. I will eventually just replaced it with a 32-pixel high version to get it about the same size as the other markers. Now I have to brighten it up, since it is hard to see at 32 pixels high.

Edited by --Pete, 01 February 2011 - 05:56 AM.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#22 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:53 AM

(Posted in wrong topic. Moved by author.)
Wayne,

Looking at the layout of your park (every square foot devoted to various kinds of ball game) I thought you might enjoy this quote from a Tom Robbins book:

TheKite-Flyer's Dream?
or, Something to Ponder While Waiting for SuperBowl
(cribbed from _Skinny_Legs_and_All_ by Tom Robbins)

Suppose a spaceship flew into our atmosphere and beamed up every ball on the planet. Every last football, baseball, tennis ball, basketball, volleyball, golfball, shot put, softball, squash ball, soccer ball, pool ball, bowling ball, even croquet balls and polo balls, all of them.

What would happen? Would the male population go slowly berserk? Would blood flow in the streets? Would [the] boys just curl up and die?

Or would it expedite the evolution of a higher species of mammal?

...like kite-flyers?

Edited by --Pete, 01 February 2011 - 05:59 AM.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#23 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:46 AM

I'm going with more kite fliers!!! :) The only ball game that I enjoy, but get frustrated doing, is bowling!! After my stroke, I had to give up stick and ball games!! :angry: Vision issues!! Didn't reconnect with flying till I had both hips replaced!! :) Now it's Full Flight!!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#24 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

Hey Pete I thought you were living on a lake freighter.

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#25 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

Naw, just an old shack in the woods.Posted Image
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#26 SkyHook

SkyHook
  • Forum Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

Well, it took me a couple of hours to figure out how to make an icon with a transparent background, but I did it.

Another one added.

Pete - I saw your kite on that map and I just had to figure out how to cut one of my kites out of a picture and put it on that map.
Signed up for Google. Spent way too much time fiddling with my GIMP program manipulating that kite picture.

Understand now the time it takes on the transparent background. I picked a picture of my vented Rev and and decided to make all the screened areas transparent also. Lots of fun

It's not perfect but it's on the map.

Thanks for the challenge.

Bruce

#27 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

...GIMP...

If you figured out how to use GIMP, you're way beyond me. It came on my wife's new computer and I tried to make sense of it. I think it was written by a committee.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#28 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

If you figured out how to use GIMP, you're way beyond me. It came on my wife's new computer and I tried to make sense of it. I think it was written by a committee.

I don't know GIMP either. I never bothered because I received a free copy of Photoshop Elements with one of my scanners about 10 years back.
Since then after over 100 hours training on Photoshop, and considerably more using it, I could be considered a very advanced user.
I am told that GIMP is easy to understand for anyone that knows Photoshop basics.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#29 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

For learning GIMP, you might want to look at some of the on-line tutorials and videos. Just Google It!
It sure beats trying to figure it out on your own and save you a lot of time.
Once you get the hang of it you will have a lot of fun with it.
Without any training you will be pulling out your hair.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#30 SkyHook

SkyHook
  • Forum Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Pete ---- I have never had Photoshop and I am just barely learning to use GIMP but enjoying it. GIMP ( GNU image manipulation program) is a completely free download for anyone .

As John mentions, this is a program where you want to actually read the tutorials and they are extensive. I tend to try to figure out things without reading the instructions. Didn't work out for me on this program.

What program did you use to make that Rev icon?

John --- 100 hours on Photoshop - Wow -- I can believe it as I recently saw your work on your website.

Bruce

#31 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Pete ---- I have never had Photoshop and I am just barely learning to use GIMP but enjoying it. GIMP ( GNU image manipulation program) is a completely free download for anyone .

As John mentions, this is a program where you want to actually read the tutorials and they are extensive. I tend to try to figure out things without reading the instructions. Didn't work out for me on this program.

What program did you use to make that Rev icon?

John --- 100 hours on Photoshop - Wow -- I can believe it as I recently saw your work on your website.

Bruce

For more that is not easily accessible look at: http://www.johnnmitc..._ps/index.html#
Move your mouse on images, click on images and enjoy.

More specifically:
When you click on a collage on the left, you will see images used to create them on the right. Mouse over those and the image enlarges in the center.
With the restoration, then mouse over the image on the right to see the original. Mouse over the image on the left to see the restoration.
Press the back button one or two times to go up a level to see some of my other work with Adobe Illustrator, Flash, Premiere Pro and not so obviously with Soundbooth. The web site was created with Adobe Dreamweaver.

I also created the banner at the top of this REV forum website. The images for both of the 1997 REVs required a lot of rework from poor photos. The others are also real images, which I cut out of the original photos. They were all assembled within Illustrator and then exported to a .png file which JB added to the banner section of each page on this REV web site.

#32 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

For my Rev icon, it was created using Adobe Illustrator for the graphics side and Adobe Flash for the animation.
Those colors are the ones I created especially for my Zen. Ben has the Zen twin in one of many his kite bags.

#33 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

Well, I have Photoshop (CS3 Extended) and use it regularly so I don't really need to learn GIMP. GIMP came installed on my wife's new computer, so I had a look. If I didn't have so much time invested in learning Photoshop (no training, just a LOT of time spent looking around), I would probably learn GIMP. Same with OpenOffice vs. MS Office. I started using Excel in 1987; in fact that (plus Aldous - now Adobe - Pagemaker) is why I started using Windows at about that time (no DOS versions of either program). Too much trouble to learn new programs now.

Besides the usual cropping, adjusting colors and levels, etc., this is the sort of thing I do with Photoshop:

http://i898.photobuc...nburghfix-1.jpg

This is the before and after of a badly damaged (looks like it was stepped on while lying on a bed of gravel, or maybe a dog chewed on it) photograph of my grandmother in 1937. It represents about 20 hours of repair work. This was my second or third effort at photo repair. I'm a bit faster now. And I don't make mistakes like the elbow of her coat so much. BTW, I'm willing to make repairs like this for friends, and I would certainly consider fellow rev flyers to be friends.

I made my Rev icon with Photoshop, but I reduced the palette too much and it looks a bit dull. I need to start over (from a photo of my old Rev I) and brighten, rather than dull, the colors. To compete with the standard Google icons it really needs to "pop" with a bright yellow and a bright blue. Maybe Posterize it to flatten the colors and then replace with pure web colors like #0066ff and #ffff00.

To get the transparent background I cut out the kite to a new transparent layer and then deleted the background layer. I adjusted the rotation and location of the kite so that the point of the left leading edge was at the center of the bottom edge of the picture. This let the "point" be equivalent to the point of the standard icons (the active point where Google "thinks" the icon is located). If I flew only Eddy kites it would be so simple; nice little diamond with the point right where it should be.

Edited by --Pete, 06 February 2011 - 12:25 PM.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#34 SkyHook

SkyHook
  • Forum Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Rev Flyers of the World

This was a great idea.

I hope to see people continue to add their favorite flying locations all over the world.

Bruce

#35 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

I have just seen this post in another thread,

Not to hijack, but I've just added an on-site member map to the forum (on the main navbar).

http://www.revkites....orum/membermap/

and I must say very nice job John.

Also apologies to all for my apparent absence in this thread. I didn’t start it to run away and leave it. My screen time since my last post in this thread has largely been spent working with Google Maps trying over come some of the problems encountered earlier maps and to formulate some firm proposals for clear and reliable map of the Rev Community.

What I was thinking of, was map of Rev Communities, flying fields where there is a regular Rev presence, then linking individual forum members to flying sites rather than home locations. However to do this in Google and to maintain the integrity of the map would not have been easy given the very open nature of Google Maps. I was close to coming up with a “workable” though not ideal solution so it looks like I have been "saved by the bell".

Once again nice job John.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#36 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

However this develops, what a great way to find out where other fliers are in the world!! :)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#37 Puppeteer

Puppeteer
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

Just a thought but . . . . . . . .

It is possible to add a private map of personal local flying places and include a link to this in your description within Google maps (see entries for myself and kristalis on the Google map).

This gives the possiblity of not only recording individuals location as in the 'rev flyers of the world', but of allowing the addition of personal flying places, links to local kite festivals or anything else the individual feels may be of interest (like beach front watering holes for example Posted Image) using the personal maps.

Edited by Puppeteer, 17 February 2011 - 03:56 AM.

It flies through the air in exactly the same way a dual line doesn't.
My Kite Flying Places

#38 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

possible to add a private map of personal local flying places and include a link to this in your description within Google maps (see entries for myself and kristalis on the Google map).

It would be a useful facility to be able to do that as you say, as on the 'unofficial' map ...I think I might just add it on my profile here instead.

like beach front watering holes for example

Now you're talking Posted Image

But seriously ....On the subject of the 'unofficial' map ....as good as it was, we did see that it can also be maliciously tampered with. I've a preference for this moderate model that we see here, makes more sense. Still, the 'unofficial' map, people are still adding their locations both home and favoured flying spots, it has got a little messy, just looking at it there. I do think there is potential for confusion if both maps continue to be added to ...do you think we should leave it as it is, maybe let it die off or just delete it and everybody move over to the official map?!

Chris

#39 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'm ok with either option!!:) If the unofficial map has problems or worries, then if it goes, so what!!:) I just find the map idea very interesting!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#40 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

I think the question, “to Google, or not to Google,” is almost irrelevant here, I only suggested Google in the first place because it was the only free option I knew of, but if we have learned anything from this thread so far, it is that, unless the integrity of the map can be protected from corruption, be it accidental, mischievous or down right malicious, all you have is a hi-tech graffiti wall.

The proposal I had been working on was based on a “public” Google map with very restricted “write permissions” maybe just a couple of trusted “collaborators”. This would have protected the map against corruption and ensured a degree standardised formatting.

The drawbacks were:-
1, it would be separate from the forum but still very reliant on the forum.
2, with a limited number of people able to update the map, updates to the map would have to have been by either email or PM application. This would slow that the building of the map and probably mean a phased build.

I was prepared to volunteer to build and run this map but I certainly wouldn’t have done so without the approval of Forum Admin.

Given that we now have an official map built into the forum I see no justification for an “unofficial” competitor. What I was planning could have been an asset to the forum but doing it in Google, would have been a bit of a bodge.

Once again nice job John.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users