43 replies to this topic

#1 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

I've not looked into it but might there be a possible tie in with something like Google Earth here?
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#2 Puppeteer

Puppeteer
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:00 AM

Could try this topic . . . . . . . . .

[topic='http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/4002-rev-photo-in-google-earth/page__p__69520__fromsearch__1&#entry69520']Rev photo in Google Earth![/topic]

it has the location for a couple of Google Earth entries already, one at 47° 12.062'N 122° 34.741'W and one from myself at 50°44'56.58"N 2°39'6.03"W.
It flies through the air in exactly the same way a dual line doesn't.
My Kite Flying Places

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

I've not looked into it but might there be a possible tie in with something like Google Earth here?

A very easy thing to do would be this...create a Google Maps "My Map" and add any points that you like. Make it a public map so that people can view it, like this...(not complete)

http://goo.gl/maps/rqMC

The nice thing is that it provides a link at the top to view the data in Google Earth. So if you have Google Earth, you can see it there, but anyone with a browser can see it on the Google Maps page.
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#4 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

Hi folks.

Apologies for not replying sooner, it wasn’t for the want of trying, but there has been lots going on in and around my life lately and other stuff has had to take priority, so keyboard time has been somewhat limited.

JB’s “Calling all countries! - Rev wants to know, where are you flying?” thread has re-awoken one of those, “I know what would be really useful” thoughts that I had pushed to the back of my mind ages ago. I don’t want to say too much about where I would like to see this go just yet, as I have a horrible feeling that if we start getting too many “Wouldn’t it be nice if…..” posts things could get way out of control.

Suffice to say, I really like what Puppeteer and Jeff have suggested. On first reading I thought they may have been mutually exclusive, but after a quick dip into the Google Earth tutorials it appears that maybe they are not.

I think I now need to spend a bit more time with the Tutorials and Help Database to find out if my idea is - a, doable, and b, manageable.

Many thanks to both Puppeteer and Jeff.

Watch this Space.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#5 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

Can remember a Rev frapper map way back when ....whatever happened to it?!

Yeah think google maps is the way to go. I've been using it to record my own kite locations, places I've flown in. Only problem is that it works on the premise that the users have a gmail account to be able to contribute and edit. Either that or someone can add countries when need.
Here's that kiting locations google map that I've stuck together.

Chris

Edited by kristalis, 27 January 2011 - 02:58 AM.

#6 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

Can remember a Rev frapper map way back when ....whatever happened to it?!

Yeah think google maps is the way to go. I've been using it to record my own kite locations, places I've flown in. Only problem is that it works on the premise that the users have a gmail account to be able to contribute and edit. Either that or someone can add countries when need.
Here's that kiting locations google map that I've stuck together.

Chris

Hey Chris I find that very cool and remember if you ever want to add San Diego Ca. to the map feel free to stay at my place..... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:56 AM

OK all this talk of Google Maps. Is this the sort of thing you want?

http://maps.google.c...db455dadf2f&z=1

Click on 'collaborate' and 'edit' to attach a pin. Not sure if you need to log in to a google account to use it, but I'm sure you'll find out.

[Edit: zoom level is extreme with one marker, hopefully it will settle with use.]

Edited by andelscott, 28 January 2011 - 03:10 AM.

Andy

#8 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

..remember if you ever want to add San Diego Ca. to the map feel free to stay at my place..... Ben

Much appreciated Ben. Same here if you find yourself in my part of the world let me know Posted Image

OK all this talk of Google Maps. Is this the sort of thing you want?

Andy you beat me too it, was actually in the process of sticking one together ....just added myself.

Rev Flyers of the World

Chris

#9 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

Rev Flyers of the World

So, how do I add my location?
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#10 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

So, how do I add my location?

• Scroll the map to your home location (may need to zoom way out to move the distances involved), zooming in to the level of accuracy you want;
  • Click Edit button to left of the map box;
  • Click on the 'pin' icon in the top left of the map window and drag mouse to your location (the 'X' beneath it is the target);
  • Click on your location to select it;
  • Annotate your name and any comments in the 'balloon' box that opens up.
One aspect I'm not sure of - you might need to create a google account or log on. I'm not sure, as I already had one for Google webmaster tools and such like!

Hope this helps.
Andy

#11 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

Added!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#12 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

Added!

Looks like a couple of false starts got in there. Unless someone did want a placemark in Mali, and another off the coast of Liberia, they might be removed.

(edit) Looks like someone has tidied them up.

I think anyone can delete them; in fact I think anyone can move someone else's mark, on purpose or by accident.

Edited by --Pete, 28 January 2011 - 01:44 PM.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#13 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:37 AM

Looks like a couple of false starts got in there. Unless someone did want a placemark in Mali, and another off the coast of Liberia, they might be removed. (edit) Looks like someone has tidied them up.

Aye, t'was me ...doing a bit of housework Posted Image

Good to see a few getting behind the mapping idea ....hopefully a few more will.

Chris

#14 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:44 AM

Aye, t'was me ...doing a bit of housework Posted Image

Good. I didn't want to move/delete them if someone had put them there for a reason.

On another note: sometimes I see your marker as the standard inverted teardrop and some times as a push-pin, and always in green rather than the blue of the rest of the markers. Is there some way to edit the marker appearance? I haven't seen it if there is.

And thanks to andelscott for the detailed description of how to add a marker.

Edited by --Pete, 29 January 2011 - 05:45 AM.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#15 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:25 AM

On another note: sometimes I see your marker as the standard inverted teardrop and some times as a push-pin, and always in green rather than the blue of the rest of the markers. Is there some way to edit the marker appearance? I haven't seen it if there is.

Pete

If you click on the [Edit] button and then choose your own location, it opens dialogue box. Top right is the 'pin' and clicking on this open up a raft of alternative optional markers. Now some of these are likely to confuse, but there are balloons and pins of assorted colours. But not to the extent that you can model your Rev colour scheme - *yet* - but you can add your own icon. :kid_smartass:

[Save] once you've updated, then you're done!
Andy

#16 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

Well, it took me a couple of hours to figure out how to make an icon with a transparent background, but I did it.

rev-icon64.png

It isn't really that squashed; something about inserting non-square pictures into a post.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#17 sirrom

sirrom

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

That was easier than I thought.
BRETT
(Formerly sirrom2000)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#18 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:19 AM

Like the uniformity of the little pin icons (edited sorry)
.....but Pete's Rev icon is ver'fancy (scaled down slightly maybe) just imagine the globe covered in those little Rev pins Posted Image

Rev Flyers of the World

Chris

#19 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

Just added a balloon for me!!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#20 Puppeteer

Puppeteer
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:34 AM

Added one for me but . . . . . had a bit of an issue with no edit button and no pins showing!

Thought I was missing something really basic but thankfully found this to resolve the issue before making myself look really foolish Posted Image :

• There was [is] a bug in Google Maps until yesterday. It was [is] caused by Google changing their interface, Google has however repaired it [well maybe not].

The workaround (which isn't necessary anymore) [was in my case] was [is] to wait until Google had tried in vain to load your map and then to click once on the back button of your browser --> now the proper map with your placemarks was [is] loaded.
All is now well . . . . . . .
It flies through the air in exactly the same way a dual line doesn't.
My Kite Flying Places

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users