28 replies to this topic

#21 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:45 AM

Welcome to the forum, but watch John Barresi's video http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Cuw3vBD50hs It's fail proof, once you understand it..............good luckPosted Image

That is the wind I've been using right along, the only thing going on with that wind is sometimes the card folds nicely on to the handles and the next time there is not enough line leftover to make the final flip onto the handles.

#22 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:02 AM

I sometimes use this method on a temporary bases only, meaning for a half hour or so. I usually do this to keep people from walking into my lines.
The tricks are to wind holding the handles in a specific hand. When you unwind the lines, hold the handles in precisely the same hand. When you wind the line back out, you MUST shake them out to get all the unwanted twisting and whatever out of them. At this time you should have no more then a single twist. Also be sure to pair off the lines and knot each pair together and don't let one pair drop through the other pair.

I never leave my line overnight wrapped around the handles.

Now I'm starting to get on overload, but I have to ask anyway, why not overnight? I know Lee doesn't break his kites down as he has a van and a big bag, so I don't think he removes lines from the kite during storage.

#23 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:24 AM

Now I'm starting to get on overload, but I have to ask anyway, why not overnight? I know Lee doesn't break his kites down as he has a van and a big bag, so I don't think he removes lines from the kite during storage.

I guess when you have a van with plenty of room, it doesn't matter. I have a tiny car with no room thus I need to pack everything up neatly.
In the case of handles. If you use the same length lines all the time you could leave the lines wrapped on the handles, However it does groove into the foam grips which takes a while to recover, especially when cold. Now if you use different length lines, like me, then you either need more handles or wind your lines on the winders.
There is nothing mandatory here. It is really up to each person how they wish to do things.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#24 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

That is the wind I've been using right along, the only thing going on with that wind is sometimes the card folds nicely on to the handles and the next time there is not enough line leftover to make the final flip onto the handles.

Usually you can choose to either have the handles follow past the end of the lines before bungieing them down, or to lay the handles BACK along the lines to get them under the bungie. (That is to say, the lines will end somewhere on a face of the winder; the only time you are SOL is if the lines end EXACTLY on one of the winder-ends. Taking one wrap around the winder crossways can fix that.)

One thing to add: keep the lines out of direct sunlight and fluorescent light. The UV will eventually weaken the lines. An opaque bag is good.

Edited by --Pete, 24 December 2010 - 09:35 AM.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#25 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

Once you find a way that works for you, stick to it!! If you do it the same way, over time you'll get used to the way you wind!! Then NO MORE TANGLES!!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#26 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

Thanks guys cleared up a few questions I've only used 85' lines so far. And I mostly seem to be SOL as the lines do end up at the end of the card at times making it impossible to flip the handles over the card, does that occur from winding too tight one time and winding too loose the next time, or are the lines growing and shrinking just to drive me crazy?

Edited by hyzakite, 24 December 2010 - 12:56 PM.

#27 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

Assuming you are using some kind of linear polyethylene (most 2 and 4 line sets are) there isn't a lot of stretch, but there is some. If you end up with the lines right at the end of the card, try laying the handles BACK along the same side of the card that the ends of the lines are on. The lower handle tips (brake ends) may extend a bit beyond the end of the card, but you should still be able to put the bungie over the unpadded part of the handles. Think of the lower ends of the handles PUSHING the lines tight on the card rather than PULLING. You should be able to get a secure package one way or the other.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#28 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

Assuming you are using some kind of linear polyethylene (most 2 and 4 line sets are) there isn't a lot of stretch, but there is some. If you end up with the lines right at the end of the card, try laying the handles BACK along the same side of the card that the ends of the lines are on. The lower handle tips (brake ends) may extend a bit beyond the end of the card, but you should still be able to put the bungie over the unpadded part of the handles. Think of the lower ends of the handles PUSHING the lines tight on the card rather than PULLING. You should be able to get a secure package one way or the other.

I got it Pete, I just gave it a little tug and they popped onto the card, I noticed one of my clips on the bottom of the handles was in the other direction giving me a little less line on that handle.

#29 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

When this happens to me, I just unwind a few times, then rewind using a figure-8 to take up a different amount of line in each wind so that it matches up nicely for the final fold.

Welcome to the forum. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users