Photo

Anybody else lake playing with there Rev in the Water?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

if you lay them flat in the water they will float youll just have to pull it back to land to fly it dry
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#22 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:16 PM

if you lay them flat in the water they will float youll just have to pull it back to land to fly it dry

Your are very right on that, so always make sure you keep those lower tips down using the lower lines when you do a tail landing.
In a lake it is rather easy. In the ocean, if you aren't very careful the waves or back flow may push those tips up. In is easier flying perpendicular to the waves.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#23 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:21 AM

I hope to be able to do all this at a lake this summer. If the wind is good enough. I'll be sure to get some pics.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#24 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:54 AM

I do wish I could figure out how to take pictures and fly at the same time! My web pages would be packed. I figured out how to talk on the cell phone the other day while flying. I just put the phone in my mouth, put it on speaker and talked around it. I was told I sounded a bit garbled but they could understand me. I was talking to my daughter who was watching me on one of the many beach web cams. That was cool.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#25 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:38 AM

I do wish I could figure out how to take pictures and fly at the same time! My web pages would be packed. I figured out how to talk on the cell phone the other day while flying. I just put the phone in my mouth, put it on speaker and talked around it. I was told I sounded a bit garbled but they could understand me. I was talking to my daughter who was watching me on one of the many beach web cams. That was cool.

For the REV: Either have someone with you take the pictures for you or fly with one hand and photograph with the other. The former definitely gives you better pictures.
For the phone: Try one of the hand-free head/ear sets. They work fine.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#26 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:46 AM

Yea safety first with the phone mr denny, and the wireless headsets are the way to go, they even have one on the market now that does military grade noise reduction, so even in hih wind it will work fine. and i allways support the second camera person idea. If you have a firend who is good with a camera get them out there watching.

#27 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:56 AM

What was I thinking? I have a headset and knew I was going to be on the phone. I have 20/20 hindsight.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#28 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:49 AM

Yea safety first with the phone mr denny, and the wireless headsets are the way to go, they even have one on the market now that does military grade noise reduction, so even in hih wind it will work fine. and i allways support the second camera person idea. If you have a firend who is good with a camera get them out there watching.

Another tip! Make sure that the person using your camera is someone you know. Otherwise you might not get any pictures, loosing your camera at the same time. It is a popular trick of thieves in tourist areas.

#29 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

denny the headset idea sounds like a good one like a hat or helmet cam

#30 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

Well, I do think the headset is the best idea I can think of. I have been on the beach flying and gotten semi important phone calls and it has saved my hide. And it makes driving safer also, not as safe as ignoring the phone altogether, but still easier then throwing the phone at 50+mph.

#31 SKITCH

SKITCH

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:49 AM

Hello you with low self esteem....ie. Nobodyspecial ;)

Do you have any more info on those headsets you just referred to...."military grade noise reduction". I am on my phone ALL DAY LONG with my job...and usually in my vehicle which is pretty loud 4wd truck. I have been unable to use headsets because of the noice issues.....you may have just saved my life...or the guy in the car next to me. Please let me know if you know if the brand, model, company....anything. Thank you very much.

P

#32 SKITCH

SKITCH

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

Your are very right on that, so always make sure you keep those lower tips down using the lower lines when you do a tail landing.
In a lake it is rather easy. In the ocean, if you aren't very careful the waves or back flow may push those tips up. In is easier flying perpendicular to the waves.

Maybe you could rig little floaties on the leading and trailing edge....kinda like those "noodles" that kids play with in the pools...but a lot smaller. Then Ant could come up with some Quad Sticks with little pontoons on the tips. Then you could land on the water and take off from the water.....of course then you would not be able to do the cool tricks by sinking and taking off out of the water..... :lol:

P

#33 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

that could work but also add alot of weight to the kites as well

#34 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

Maybe you could rig little floaties on the leading and trailing edge....kinda like those "noodles" that kids play with in the pools...but a lot smaller. Then Ant could come up with some Quad Sticks with little pontoons on the tips. Then you could land on the water and take off from the water.....of course then you would not be able to do the cool tricks by sinking and taking off out of the water..... :lol:

P

I've tried that on my quad sticks and on the down spars They actually work pretty good and they really dint add much weight or resistance being behind the sail.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#35 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:41 PM

Hello you with low self esteem....ie. Nobodyspecial ;)

Do you have any more info on those headsets you just referred to...."military grade noise reduction". I am on my phone ALL DAY LONG with my job...and usually in my vehicle which is pretty loud 4wd truck. I have been unable to use headsets because of the noice issues.....you may have just saved my life...or the guy in the car next to me. Please let me know if you know if the brand, model, company....anything. Thank you very much.

P

not low self esteem, just a nick i have had for years. The headset in question is a jawbone, you can order it from the websit, just add the dotcom to the name. or go to you local cingular dealer and you can get one for a bit over 100 bucks, it works really good, during CES 2007 (were they have about 500-3000 business man, and journalist hollering away at once) they had a few people testing this device and said the only problem was controling there own voice levels, since they didn't have to actually raise there voice. ( yea i wanna get one too, been watching this thing.)

#36 SKITCH

SKITCH

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:21 PM

not low self esteem, just a nick i have had for years. The headset in question is a jawbone, you can order it from the websit, just add the dotcom to the name. or go to you local cingular dealer and you can get one for a bit over 100 bucks, it works really good, during CES 2007 (were they have about 500-3000 business man, and journalist hollering away at once) they had a few people testing this device and said the only problem was controling there own voice levels, since they didn't have to actually raise there voice. ( yea i wanna get one too, been watching this thing.)

I'm a little scared of the story behind that nickname....I can see a very sad comic character with that nickname given to him/her by his family!!!!! AWWWWWWWW. :( I'm sure it comes with a story.

Thank you very much for the info. I will check it out tonight. The $$ are worth it....it could literally save my life, my car, the guy in the saab...???? AND, now that WA has made it illegal to have the phone in your hand while driving....it will probably save me from getting pulled over a few times....man I have to stop telling you all this....You're going to find me on the kite field and try to collect all that I will now owe you!!! :lol: I have the 4000 minute plan for my phone..which is my work phone...and i constantly go over on the minutes...most of this is done while drivin.

The funny thing is that I was against talking on the phone while driving for years.......very much against it......and then.

Thanks again you ray of shining light....pillar of hope and profound influence on the world around you. :blink:

P

#37 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

Ahhh... that was a wee bit over the top SKITCH.. and the name looked better then anny_nono_miss. I hope you can get ahold of one of those headsets, there very nice, check out the video's on the site. If they only used this thing in the filming of the B-series DVD.. lol

#38 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:53 AM

Antman said,"if you lay them flat in the water they will float youll just have to pull it back to land to fly it dry "
Yep, they will float for a while, but depending on what you have been doing, not for long. Once the tubes are full of water they will sink, and I know of someone who got in a right ole mess after dragging one back across a lake bed. :lol:

#39 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

I flew in the water for the first time last week. what a blast had my full vent out in the Columbia river, well i guess its a resivoir at that point, beautiful spot but no camera just my cell and the pics are horrible.

but I will be looking for more spots, that was an experiance and a half.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#40 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

My (and my sons) first attempts were at Grand Haven this past weekend. Only a few wing-tip-dips... but what fun!

Kite_over_Lake_Michigan.JPG

My son, Ryan
IMG_4730_e.JPG

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users