11 replies to this topic

#1 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

interested in something a little different?

Attached Files

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:02 AM

Planning stage is grinding to a halt, . . .
Nobody from this forum is interested in the opportunity offered?

I thought this would be a grand time for all of us involved
and done on the cheap-side to boot!
-paul

#3 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:07 AM

Planning stage is grinding to a halt, . . .
Nobody from this forum is interested in the opportunity offered?

I thought this would be a grand time for all of us involved
and done on the cheap-side to boot!
-paul

Sounds AWESOME and would love to be a bart of it.
Timing aint good for m then though
Sorry! :(

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#4 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

Hello Paul-

PM sent....
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#5 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

I have a show opening that weekend.

It sounds interesting, but there's no way.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

here's the latest flier about the President's Day weekend event, if anyone is interested.
You've never done anything like this clinic before I can assure you!

Attached Files

#7 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

okay, our coach staff is all arranged, Dugard, Ashworth and myself will lead the clinic. Everything is coming together nicely and I hope you will consider joining us on the Outer Banks this February for this unique opportunity.
-plm

#8 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

We declared the first OBX Light Wind Rev Clinic a success! In spite of the high winds for 80% of the time!!

How, you might ask ... ?? First it was our location - we were given permission to have full use of the Currituck Heritage Park for 4 days. It is a bit of a challenging location if the wind is from anywhere but the west and southwest. Which was the point - we wanted 'typical' inland light wind! And who better to lead us than a few WOW land-of-no-wind fliers.

Friday and Saturday did indeed have high winds and we switched to a Full Vent Rev Clinic. Actually worked out well, since we had different skill levels and this helped everyone! But most important were the two Indoor Sessions, thanks to the Corolla Light Sports Arena. A few were introduced to this style for the 1st time, so again, 'muscle memory' could be calibrated. By the time we did have light wind on Sunday, even the less experienced were getting a light-touch-feel.

Paul LaMasters, with his helpers Paul DuGard and David Ashworth, set up comparable kites for comparison of fairly well controlled variables. Do to the wind, we adapted from his strict plan with only 1 change per kite. But they were all similar enough with enough changes in bridles, magic sticks (with and without) to allow all of us to compare many times.

Thank You Paul for all of your planning and being instrumental in bringing this about!!!

At dinner on Sunday night, we all agreed that we had our core of 10 and we've started a new President's Day Weekend tradition.

Join us next year - don't know what the weather will be, but we'll be here!

PS. We did have Paul :w00t: , the other Paul :blue-love: and Saint Paul :innocent: here, but did miss Never Ben Paul :devil: .

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#9 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

We declared the first OBX Light Wind Rev Clinic a success! In spite of the high winds for 80% of the time!!

How, you might ask ... ?? First it was our location - we were given permission to have full use of the Currituck Heritage Park for 4 days. It is a bit of a challenging location if the wind is from anywhere but the west and southwest. Which was the point - we wanted 'typical' inland light wind! And who better to lead us than a few WOW land-of-no-wind fliers.

Friday and Saturday did indeed have high winds and we switched to a Full Vent Rev Clinic. Actually worked out well, since we had different skill levels and this helped everyone! But most important were the two Indoor Sessions, thanks to the Corolla Light Sports Arena. A few were introduced to this style for the 1st time, so again, 'muscle memory' could be calibrated. By the time we did have light wind on Sunday, even the less experienced were getting a light-touch-feel.

Paul LaMasters, with his helpers Paul DuGard and David Ashworth, set up comparable kites for comparison of fairly well controlled variables. Do to the wind, we adapted from his strict plan with only 1 change per kite. But they were all similar enough with enough changes in bridles, magic sticks (with and without) to allow all of us to compare many times.

Thank You Paul for all of your planning and being instrumental in bringing this about!!!

At dinner on Sunday night, we all agreed that we had our core of 10 and we've started a new President's Day Weekend tradition.

Join us next year - don't know what the weather will be, but we'll be here!

PS. We did have Paul :w00t: , the other Paul :blue-love: and Saint Paul :innocent: here, but did miss Never Ben Paul :devil: .

Next time my friends next time..... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:09 AM

A no-wind clinic with doubled leading edges and shook mesh sails, . . . ... at least we had four of 'em, HA!

Put 10 people together and get ten opinions, but that was the point of the whole thing! There's no right or wrong answer, just go by feeling and that is your choice. Your choices might change again tomorrow or in different wind conditions later this afternoon.

We did use Rich Comras & Brad Weiner's Old Glory kites, so a huge thank you to you 2 fine gentlemen.

By Late Sunday afternoon, conditions were about perfect for our low-wind bridle comparison. We set-up 4 sets of identical lines and handles once again, insuring the handles aligned perfectly before affixing flying lines to the bridles. I spent several hours making this as close to equal and perfect as possible. Adjusting little knots, or double wrapping the leader line around one of the handles for an eighth inch of adjustment. Each set had to be perfect or another variable was being introduced! Four Old Glory SULs ready for testing. What a sweet lookin' ride!

Each of the participants had gained sufficient experience by a series of exercises (done thru-out the weekend w/a coach) to accurately compare and judge with options suited them best. In fact they began to judge who's "tuning set-up" was preferred (Dugard's was considered the most neutral). It was marvelous to witness the light-bulbs turning on. Folks had a feeling being developed (a style all their own) and loved switching around on the different kites. Working with several coaches was beneficial as well, the student pick-ups what they want and dump the rest. It's a destination, there's not just one path to get there.

We flew a variety of Revs and next year we will consider a handle length variable in addition to the bridles. It was most interesting, that folks couldn't tell much difference in the bridles during Fri/Saturday's high wind, or lacked a basis for comparison due to developing skill levels.

Almost everyone preferred the frame stiffness and clean flying abilities imparted by the sissy sticks though.

Will Sturdy looked like Graziano on a quad! After one particularly exciting series of tricks I told him to put down my stuff, go flail your own damn equipment dude, there's nothing more I can provide. You've passed my skill-set already young man. Will had the most perfect Falling Leaf into a snap landing,... perfect like a CGI simulation. He could snap it out and land on an ant without killing it. Simply an amazing example of putting two things together and making it your own. Watch out for this teenager, thank God he's still sandbaggin' in the experienced class.

Cath & Elliott handled the details of flying sites, lodging, meals, beverages, all the little things that make us a happy revolution family! Thank you both for another excellent time on the OBX. Everyone smiled & laughed together and we can't wait to do it again next year.

Anybody take any pictures?

#11 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

paul, with a comp that crashed on me i missed this post. as i always have said to you before. w live in to oppisite sides ofth flying world..u with no wind and me with all of it. i read this file..what a great idea.just wanted to tell u this
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#12 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:28 AM

Hi Paul-
Glad it was such a success!!! See you there next year!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users