6 replies to this topic

#1 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

I know this might sound odd to most of you, but I figured I'd ask, just in case...

This is the time of year when, when there is sun, (ie a high pressure system) there is rarely anything more than a 1-2mph breeze.

I realize that most of you will cringe when I say this, but I don't use my rev indoor indoors. I use it when there isn't enough wind to fly my SUL. I have disabilities that make it impossible for me to throw the kite around much like the indoor is designed for, which is why I use mine like I do. (I hate going more than a day without flying, so I got the rev indoor for those times.

Has anyone come up with a bridle system that lets the indoor fly a bit more like the standard revs? I can fly around with no bridle, but I was just curious if anyone had tweaked theirs at all.

(All you traditionalists stop yelling at me for flying an indoor outdoors...lol)

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

I know this might sound odd to most of you, but I figured I'd ask, just in case...

This is the time of year when, when there is sun, (ie a high pressure system) there is rarely anything more than a 1-2mph breeze.

I realize that most of you will cringe when I say this, but I don't use my rev indoor indoors. I use it when there isn't enough wind to fly my SUL. I have disabilities that make it impossible for me to throw the kite around much like the indoor is designed for, which is why I use mine like I do. (I hate going more than a day without flying, so I got the rev indoor for those times.

Has anyone come up with a bridle system that lets the indoor fly a bit more like the standard revs? I can fly around with no bridle, but I was just curious if anyone had tweaked theirs at all.

(All you traditionalists stop yelling at me for flying an indoor outdoors...lol)

--TaK

To tell you the truth, I have never flown my REV INDOOR, indoors. When the wind does go to zero, out it comes. Mine is one of the first made and still has the original bridle, without any changes and it has the original thin rods.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:43 AM

you can make a bridle for any kite yourself.

You'll need a worthy assistant and plenty of development time. Look upon the assignment as a winter project. DAve Ashworth is a great kite builder who only does it himself, (heck half of the time he's making the tools which will be used to create his project later on!)

The photo shows three of Dave's home-built kites. The largest one is his latest effort. It's kind of an indoor blast-styled kite. Examine the photo and see how long those bridle legs actually are,... well that's necessary whenever you frame light and use large/long lengths of sticks. The sticks can be distorted very easily with the slightest input command.

The turning commands of the two halves also affect the sticks, so you have to compensate thru restrictive lines occasionally. See how the two sail halves are actually connected together (down at the bottom of the tips) by a piece of string? Without this restrictor line in place the kite becomes suddenly de-powered if you manipulate one wing too quickly or sharply.

These kites are mostly made of Orcon fabric, all have magic stick-styled structures on the back and each uses a unique bridle designed for that specific kite shape.

You'll fly the kite with a stock bridle first, using adjustable attachment loops to compensate for the difference between the stock 1.5 and the indoor REV sizes. Then start changing one item at a time and seeing if that helps or hurts in the feeling transmitted to your hands and to the intended flight path of your kite. Keep notes, carry different colored sharpie pens to mark stuff.

Eventually you'll need a bridle board to be fabricated as well, AFTER the bridle development stages are all completed. You need to carefully dismantle the bridle and affix the dimensions onto something stable so you can replicate your efforts easily next time.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dave1.jpg

#4 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

--TaK

Hey if it works.. why not? Connor and I have flown our indoor kites outdoors on a few occasions when it calls for it. and there is nothing more fun then street flying at night... :).
We have not tried putting a reg outdoor bridle on one however... Let me know how that goes..
Hey as long as its fun..and safe of course.. ITS JUST KITES!!!!

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

Was watching this topic and wondered - Will a standard bridle work, since the indoor LE is a little longer? Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:11 PM

To tell you the truth, I have never flown my REV INDOOR, indoors. When the wind does go to zero, out it comes. Mine is one of the first made and still has the original bridle, without any changes and it has the original thin rods.

I've been chastised for it before on the forum, so I figured I'd throw the line in there about that. :P And by "bridle" I assume you're meaning the lack of a bridle? (Just the leads for connecting the lines, which is how mine came.) If not, what was on the original indoor revs?

you can make a bridle for any kite yourself.

I'm not smart enough to do that. I tried designing a kite once and it was a disaster. My better 3/4 is good at that stuff but she doesn't have the time for that, and she prefers bridless anyways, so she just looks at it and says "Why?" lol

I wish I could think along those lines, but it just doesn't work when I try. That's why I was asking if anyone had done it. ;)

If I were smart like that, I would be doing Ben's job. :P And I wouldn't need to quit a job to do it. (Not that I wouldn't in a heartbeat. How nice of a job could you get? Flying kites all over the world for a living? Working with Lollie and the gang? And them putting up with my grumpiness and yelling at my computer? Sheesh. (Someone has to give the guy a hard time!)

No...really. I can barely put on a new bridle, let alone design one. That's what my better 3/4 is for. (Hence why she is the better 3/4...or is it 9/10?)

--TaK
@AlasKiter

Edit - he forgot to make it blue ;)

Re-Edit: (See? What would I do without her? She even notices when I forget to make my text bleu...Sheesh. :P )

Edited by SynTaks, 01 December 2010 - 09:57 PM.

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#7 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:22 AM

not without some effort on your part, the kites are different sizes.

You'll need a series of connecting loops to adjust the size properly, then some test flights.
First thing is the angle which you should try to maintain while holding only the top two leaders. Make that match the stock 1point5. At least you have some base line to begin your research from. What happens if you tighten or loosen one of those bridle legs?

Development of a bridle for the indoor Rev is a project, not a ten minute adjustment on the flying field. Plan out your objective, allow only a single variable at a time, test and retest, keep accurate notes. By the end of the winter you'll be ready to publish an interesting article for kitelife which we all look forward to with great enthusiasm. Ultimately you will answer this question, . . . What impact does a bridle have on an indoor Rev?

All the bridle legs will certainly be longer than the 1point5 size you started with or those lines will collapse the frame in flight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users