2 replies to this topic

#1 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Out on the field today. Wind speed between 2 to 8mph up and down like a yoyo. Not the best conditions to fly in but you have to take every second you get (know what i mean). Anyway set up the full sail with 2wrap (no RRs yet but christmas is close) and all was well. Hard to to keep even flight of course, but when the wind was with me it was fun. Problem was that in the lulls i tended to over control a bit every now and again ( even had the odd sky dive moment ) I found that i was snagging wingtips (tip wrap) far more than usual. Yesterday I was doing flick flacks on my mid vent in 12mph (Watty Youtube thanks) with no snag. I understand whats going on just wondered if anyone has come up with an anti snag system. Can those snaggable bits be smoothed away like dual line stunters, or have i got to just work harder and walk through the English mud every 10 minutes or so to untwist and free my wing tip? ( I have used Mr Barresi s pull it out trick ) but this usually entails ploughing up[ the mud and turf ). Just interested to here your solutions folks

Edited by tommylurvebus, 22 November 2010 - 04:38 PM.

tommy harrison

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:41 AM

The easiest path is a set of magic sticks, . . ....

but the purist amongst us may want to do several sets of "belt-loops" instead,
that affix over the washers & elastic knots (at the very least on the 2 bottom corners of the sail).

See the PDF attachment as guide to your construction/assembly efforts. This modification can be done with 9460 Bonding adhesive tape from 3M Company or you could sew the loops down. The diagram shows it sewn on the outside edges only, (red dashed lines) but it would be even better if you chose to do the sewing in between the spars and the knots as well, so the sticks are more rigidly locked down. Did you ever notice the down spars occasionally "jump" outside of the place where they belong? Well that action is caused by the stick being pushed outwards with significant air-pressure.

The perfectionist would apply both of these principles!

Attached Files

#3 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:45 AM

The easiest path is a set of magic sticks, . . ....

but the purist amongst us may want to do several sets of "belt-loops" instead,
that affix over the washers & elastic knots (at the very least on the 2 bottom corners of the sail).

See the PDF attachment as guide to your construction/assembly efforts. This modification can be done with 9460 Bonding adhesive tape from 3M Company or you could sew the loops down. The diagram shows it sewn on the outside edges only, (red dashed lines) but it would be even better if you chose to do the sewing in between the spars and the knots as well, so the sticks are more rigidly locked down. Did you ever notice the down spars occasionally "jump" outside of the place where they belong? Well that action is caused by the stick being pushed outwards with significant air-pressure.

The perfectionist would apply both of these principles!

Thanks for the help. The diagram makes perfect sense. I think i will try the bonding tape option to start as I dont really have the confidence to sink a needle into my sails (yet). I realize that using tape would mean not locking down the spars but i guess that will be a modification for the future( it will happen of course as my compulsion to tinker over rides my caution ) . I have certainly noticed the spar Jump. It does seem that you become subconsciously tuned in and aware of any changes in the kite whilst flying. Most of the snags seem to occur on the bottom wing tip knots so thats the first step.
That leads me to Magic Sticks. I must confess I knew nothing about them but have gleaned what info i can on them since you reply, seen some pictures and would love to hear more about their use. Although i fear i may be a purist " Magic Sticks " Is'nt that cheating????Posted Image
Cheers
tommy harrison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users