#41 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

Great idea! love it.

Inspired by some posts in this topic, I built a rig for my Revs that uses a small accelerometer chip to control the color of some programmable LEDs based (mostly) on the kite's orientation. I got to test it in flight last weekend in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and my wife took a few short video clips. It's hard to see much besides the lights themselves, so you can't tell how much the camera is panning. The software is still pretty primitive and I have some ideas for more interesting things it can do.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOZIQe6DCo"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KAOZIQe6DCo[/url]

The whole rig weighs about 77 grams (under 3 oz) including an AAA lithium battery which gave me over an hour of light. Hopefully longer with some software tweaks. It's fully removable from the kite. In the video, it's attached to my full-sail 1.5 B. The balance is pretty good and the kite handled surprisingly well. I plan to take it back down next month for the "Kites with Lights" event at Jockey's Ridge. In the meantime I'll find out how it handles with less than OBX wind. :)

When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#42 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hi Andrew-

Awesome....

I'd like to see it up close and personal :) .

What's up with the Kites with Lights event? Where's Jockey's Ridge?

I love night flying... with lights, of course!!!!!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#43 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:37 AM

Inspired by some posts in this topic, I built a rig for my Revs that uses a small accelerometer chip to control the color of some programmable LEDs based (mostly) on the kite's orientation. I got to test it in flight last weekend in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and my wife took a few short video clips. It's hard to see much besides the lights themselves, so you can't tell how much the camera is panning. The software is still pretty primitive and I have some ideas for more interesting things it can do.

The whole rig weighs about 77 grams (under 3 oz) including an AAA lithium battery which gave me over an hour of light. Hopefully longer with some software tweaks. It's fully removable from the kite. In the video, it's attached to my full-sail 1.5 B. The balance is pretty good and the kite handled surprisingly well. I plan to take it back down next month for the "Kites with Lights" event at Jockey's Ridge. In the meantime I'll find out how it handles with less than OBX wind. :)

Posted ImagePosted Image Awesome setup Khal!

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#44 Wayne

Wayne

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

Hi Andrew-

Awesome....

I'd like to see it up close and personal Posted Image .

Laura,

Jockey's Ridge is the large sand dune at Nag's Head on the outer banks of NC.

Wayne Reed
Rev Backtracker, 1.5 SLE, Custom Full, Mid-vent & Vented B Series, Shook Weave Kites
http://WReedImages.com
My Rev Gallery

#45 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

Laura,

Hi Wayne...

Thanks....

Wish it were closer.

We should try to plan some sort of night fly in Belmar or Liberty.
Laura

Posted Image

#46 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hi Andrew-

Awesome....

I'd like to see it up close and personal :) .

Laura,

Hi Laura,
Thanks. I'm not Andrew, I'm Brian. We met at MASKC in Ocean City. I seem to recall you and Wayne doing some night flying on the beach there. Lots of fun.

Wayne's got the right place. Here's some info about Jockey's Ridge from another thread. It's one of the premier flying spots in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Here's some info (with pictures) about the Kites with Lights Event there. Haven't been to one yet.

My first night flying was at WIKF (no S) in Wildwood, NJ last spring. They had music blasting, spotlights, tons of kites. It was great. Even my 4 year old loved it.
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

#47 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hi Laura,
Thanks. I'm not Andrew, I'm Brian. We met at MASKC in Ocean City. I seem to recall you and Wayne doing some night flying on the beach there. Lots of fun.

Wayne's got the right place. Here's some info about Jockey's Ridge from another thread. It's one of the premier flying spots in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Here's some info (with pictures) about the Kites with Lights Event there. Haven't been to one yet.

My first night flying was at WIKF (no S) in Wildwood, NJ last spring. They had music blasting, spotlights, tons of kites. It was great. Even my 4 year old loved it.

Hello Brian....

Sorry... I didn't go back a page on the thread Posted Image .

I was in Wildwood in the spring (Memorial Weekend). The night flys are always a lot of fun.

I really want to get down to Jockey's Ridge and a few other places in the area. Maybe next year!

Good luck with your lights. I'm interested in seeing the lighter version.....

See you in the spring.... WW or MIKE??
Laura

Posted Image

#48 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hello Brian....

Sorry... I didn't go back a page on the thread Posted Image .

No worries.

I was in Wildwood in the spring (Memorial Weekend). The night flys are always a lot of fun.

I really want to get down to Jockey's Ridge and a few other places in the area. Maybe next year!

I'll have to find out whose ear to bend at KHK about getting the Rev Riders invited down to one of the festivals next year.

Good luck with your lights. I'm interested in seeing the lighter version.....

See you in the spring.... WW or MIKE??

Thanks. I'll be working on it. WW/ECSKC is looking doubtful at this point, but I'll likely be at MIKE/MASKC. Hope to see you there!
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

#49 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Where do you find the  2030 leds?  I had an outfit that two leds on both ends of a  plastic tube with the battery on the center in a cut out area. It had a rubber band going through to run around to attach to the line. something similar to the thing Josh Lewis had but with the tube and two leds. Soon as I can find some leds and build the device I'll try and get a picture posted or a link to my photobucket.

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#50 Henri

Henri
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted Today, 01:15 PM

Here is a picture using 15ft (a bit too short as you can see...) of EL Wire, powered by a single 14500 3.7v battery (the size of an AA but less heavy). The battery and inverter were taped to the center of the leading edge, and the wire threaded trough the bungies, with a piece of line supporting the bottom center. It is a bit wobbly, but I didn't have to alter the sail.

It would be better if it could be tied to the trailing edge. 

The picture is from the pilot place, with 120's.

IMG_0651_800.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0651_800.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users