48 replies to this topic

#21 Quincy

Quincy

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

Joe Meaux (SKYWLKR) had an interesting display on his Rev in Dieppe, NB a few years ago. His display had a switch that would change the display depending on the kite's orientation. I didn't get any pictures at the time, unfortunately.
Doug
"Bouncing over the white clouds,
Killing the Blues."
-Roly Salley

#22 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:15 PM

Joe Meaux (SKYWLKR) had an interesting display on his Rev in Dieppe, NB a few years ago. His display had a switch that would change the display depending on the kite's orientation. I didn't get any pictures at the time, unfortunately.

I don't know if they are still sold, but mercury switches would be one way to change things with orientation.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#23 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

Last Winter, I really got into trying to light up my rev. Winter here in Alaska, it's a must since you have so much of the day with no sunlight. I tried just about everything you can think of.

The battery powered Christmas lights worked best as far as the amount of light, but they are very heavy and the kite flies like a brick.

I got some flashing LED lights from Lowe's a couple months ago. They have a magnet system that works okay for keeping them on the kites as long as you don't flick the kite much.

Into the Wind sells a string lights system that looks good. The battery pack is a problem, but if you get it centered it's not REALLY bad.

A friend of mine built a system for me that has 4 super bright LEDs on it. He used 26-gauge wire, so that was no problem. The whole thing fit into a tictac box, and weighs almost nothing. I broke one of the wires, so have to repair it before I can actually try it...I'll let you know how that works.

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#24 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

I have given some consideration to building myself a custom system as well. I think I could come up with something pretty cool if I got back into microchip programming. I just don't know if I want to invest the time and money doing it.

Bart

#25 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

3v lithium watch battery. 2030. ultra bright LED. repeat until you have enough.

I can't stand it anymore!! Its time for a night mission!!!

Batteries? Check.
Ultra-bright LEDs? Check.

What's the recommended way to attach these to my 1.5s?

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#26 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

I can't stand it anymore!! Its time for a night mission!!!

Batteries? Check.
Ultra-bright LEDs? Check.

What's the recommended way to attach these to my 1.5s?

we use Square Scotch Tape foam pads

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#27 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

I use the black scotch brand 1/2" velcro dots, one on the kite and other to the back of the battery w/ the wire from the LED under the adhesive, keeps it in place where I wan't itPosted Image
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#28 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

we use Square Scotch Tape foam pads

I use the black scotch brand 1/2" velcro dots, one on the kite and other to the back of the battery w/ the wire from the LED under the adhesive, keeps it in place where I wan't itPosted Image
Michael

Ok thanks!!

I've read through this post and through the Kite Lights topic, and I figured I better ask just in case someone came up with a new way to attach them since 2010...

I'm glad I can use something with an adhesive backing, I was dreading the thought of putting any more holes through the LE material for zip-ties.

Tonight should have strong enough winds to try them out!! :ninja:

Have Rev, Will Travel

#29 Wayne

Wayne

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:45 AM

the video had 'em mounted to magic-stick types of structures

and projecting the light onto the back of the sail,

with an all white sail, it's quite dramatic I must say!

This sounds like an interesting lighting approach. As I don't use magic-sticks, I am wondering if anyone has tried to mount bright LED's on the junctions of the bridle? Could this work to illluminate the pilot's side while glowing through for the audience side? Would a little weight on the bridle cause handling issues? I will have to see if I can come up with a fixture that might aim well enough while the lines are tensioned.

Wayne Reed
Rev Backtracker, 1.5 SLE, Custom Full, Mid-vent & Vented B Series, Shook Weave Kites
http://WReedImages.com
My Rev Gallery

#30 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

This sounds like an interesting lighting approach. As I don't use magic-sticks, I am wondering if anyone has tried to mount bright LED's on the junctions of the bridle? Could this work to illluminate the pilot's side while glowing through for the audience side? Would a little weight on the bridle cause handling issues? I will have to see if I can come up with a fixture that might aim well enough while the lines are tensioned.

I have found that you need a fairly strong light to have it show through one side of the Rev to the other, even in the dark. But it is possible!!

I don't think mounting anything to the bridle is going to work, because of the weight.
The bridle is there to amplify your inputs from the handles. Any force (force = mass * acceleration) acting against the bridle is going to translate into movement of the kite. If you add any weight to the bridle, other than the weight of your line, and you get that weight moving, it is going to negatively effect your inputs from the handles and make performance unpredictable.
This also means that when mounting lights to the sail/frame, try and find the stiffest areas (LE material near tips, heavy sail material near vertical spar bottom tips, LE frame or vertical spars). Try and keep lights off the sail material, except for near the vert tips.

Since the magic sticks mount perpendicular to the vertical spar, you have a nice structure to mount a light to and aim it right at the sail!

Have Rev, Will Travel

#31 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

I've mounted LED lights about 6 feet back from the sail itself on the lines. No real affect in handling. The lights bounce around though which has an interesting effect on the sail.

Bart

#32 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:09 AM

Bart, how did you attach the LEDs to the line?

Did you use a battery/LED setup like I am or did you use finger lights or something like it? Posted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

#33 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

The light has a little clip that I could sandwich the line between it and the body for the unit. I don't have a photo at work but can try and remember to take one later of the thing.

Bart

#34 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:18 AM

I think I understand what you are describing.

Sounds like super-easy installation to me! I wish I could clip the lights on to the Rev itself...... Ok, I can, but I am unwilling to. I'll try clipping my finger lights to my lines next time I'm out for a night-fly.

Have Rev, Will Travel

#35 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

The ones I have also come with a clip that will fit on rods. They sometimes separate from the lights which means all but impossible to find in the dark.

I forgot to get a photo, but basically this Ebay link is what they are like.

Bart

#36 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

Thanks again! So many variations on these LED finger lights......

You got me to thinking - my finger lights come apart with tiny philips screws, maybe I could loosen them enough to sandwich the line in between the 2 halves of the finger light case, and then torque 'em down just so.

Aimed at the sail of course. once the lines are taught it should keep the light pointed at the sail.

Have Rev, Will Travel

#37 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

May work just don't get a cutting pinch between the halves on line.

They will certainly point. Bounce a lot though. If you had orange and yellow aimed at a white kite it would easily look like dancing flames that's how much movement there is. I don't consider it "ideal" for a solution. The little alligator clips kept things more stable just easily lost if things came apart where they weren't supposed to.

One could glue the clip so it can't come apart where it swivels, but having the ability to swivel it made it easier to light the sail. Still nothing really "ideal" out there, just a lot of good products that someone has yet to properly adapt IMO.

Bart

#38 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Inspired by some posts in this topic, I built a rig for my Revs that uses a small accelerometer chip to control the color of some programmable LEDs based (mostly) on the kite's orientation. I got to test it in flight last weekend in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and my wife took a few short video clips. It's hard to see much besides the lights themselves, so you can't tell how much the camera is panning. The software is still pretty primitive and I have some ideas for more interesting things it can do.

The whole rig weighs about 77 grams (under 3 oz) including an AAA lithium battery which gave me over an hour of light. Hopefully longer with some software tweaks. It's fully removable from the kite. In the video, it's attached to my full-sail 1.5 B. The balance is pretty good and the kite handled surprisingly well. I plan to take it back down next month for the "Kites with Lights" event at Jockey's Ridge. In the meantime I'll find out how it handles with less than OBX wind. :)
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

#39 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

That's really cool, a tad heavy - but VERY cool... Can't wait to see more!

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#40 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

That's really cool, a tad heavy - but VERY cool... Can't wait to see more!

Thanks! I definitely want to get the weight down. That's the main reason I didn't really fly it until I could get to the beach. The kite performed well in 6-10 mph or so, but it's not for light wind as currently built. I might have to sacrifice either some weatherizing or some brightness. It was bright enough to attract spectators from far down the beach and over the dunes under a full moon.
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users