• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:13 AM

Hi fellow kite flyers,

Im quite new at flying rev stunt kites. I have a Rev EXP and have recently bought a Rev Shockwave. I was just wondering if the Laser Pro Gold Spectra lines that came with the shockwave will stretch? and if so, then how much? I have heard people say that the cheaper lines stretch quite a lot but not sure how much the laser pro's will stretch? Thanks.

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:15 AM

Andy,

Laser Pro Gold is not the "cheap stuff". It shouldn't streach too much. Maybe over a while it might streach an inch or two. Nothing to get worried about.

Welcome to the Rev world!

-Spence

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:04 AM

Hi fellow kite flyers,

Im quite new at flying rev stunt kites. I have a Rev EXP and have recently bought a Rev Shockwave. I was just wondering if the Laser Pro Gold Spectra lines that came with the shockwave will stretch? and if so, then how much? I have heard people say that the cheaper lines stretch quite a lot but not sure how much the laser pro's will stretch? Thanks.

All spectra lines will stretch when new, however only the high quality spectra lines such as Shanti and Laser Pro will "almost" stop stretching after they are broken in.
Breaking in is usually the result of a lot of flying particularly in strong winds. After the high quality lines are broken in, you should check them maybe once a year for any more stretch. You will find that the lower lines tend to stretch a bit more.
Low quality spectra line can drive you crazy with their random stretching.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

with a new set of lines take all 2 or 4 what eve you have and do the following it has worked fo me for years

1 at your flying area take a stake and put your loops in the stake and put it all the way in the ground to the top this way its in stright

2 unwind your lines and check to see if they are all the same length if not then even them

3 take you likes if dual tie to the straps if quad tie to the handles

4 last get a good grip and check that your stake is in good grab your handles and lean your body but dont go to hard or youll break a line do this a few times before your first couple of flies and it should work fine

doin it at the flight area is best so all you have to do when your done is tie on your kite and fly also keep in mind that lighter line should be sone by pulling your arms back instead of your body the body lean method should be done only with 100# line and up
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#5 SKITCH

SKITCH

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:56 AM

Thanks Ant....good stuff. I'm going to give that a try with my LPG's next time I'm in the field. 100' lines from Theresa...flown them a few times in some pretty strong wind....might be time to check them. I know it's time to deal with the 85' cheaper lines that came with my REV 1.5 SLE.

Now if I can just figure out the pigtail thing....how to do it...exactly and what the best way to set it up for different conditions.....

P

#6 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:30 AM

that you will have to do while your flying .. if your pigtails are not long enough then make a longer set .. its simple to do and you can do it like i did with bridle line that you can buy at goodwonds.com just make 4 big loops and larks head them to your handles all at the same size and when you go flying put knots in diffrent spots on the pigtails both left and right but make sure they are even.. do this untill you find what you like im sure other guys here have diffrent methods but i found this to work for me because out on the field flying is the best way to adjust and if you do this a few times in diffrent winds you should have your setup

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:30 AM

Thanks Ant....good stuff. I'm going to give that a try with my LPG's next time I'm in the field. 100' lines from Theresa...flown them a few times in some pretty strong wind....might be time to check them. I know it's time to deal with the 85' cheaper lines that came with my REV 1.5 SLE.

Now if I can just figure out the pigtail thing....how to do it...exactly and what the best way to set it up for different conditions.....

P

Attached is a 1995 photo of the pigtails on REV I SUL handle. There was a better photo, but Drachen Magazin never returned it to me.
I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• mid_199503_37.jpg

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:55 AM

The B-Series comes pre-configured with pigtails on the handles... With even-length lines, I always use the 2nd knot from the end on my standard, and 3rd knot from the end on my vented.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 SKITCH

SKITCH

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:23 AM

Thanks guys....ANT, John M and John B.

I'll give all that a try.

Appreciate the help.

P

#10 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

Until a new line set is broken in I rotate the upper and lower lines each time (or 2) out. I will do it once and a while later on if I think they need it.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#11 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

i used to do that before i did my method it does work but takes a while to get the lines right

#12 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:55 PM

i used to do that before i did my method it does work but takes a while to get the lines right

Yes!!! I should have said that too. Or better yet done the quote thing. Antman is right. When I make the swap of uppers and lowers I usually have to change knots on the handles. Kind of a combo of the two.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users