#21 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

Thanks SV

I'll only use it in sub 5mph winds I assure you.

Has sure been annoying to want to go practise and finding little enough wind to be able to.
Less chance of getting lumbered with DIY by the misses as she can't say there isn't enough wind for me to fly now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds good to me!!:kid_content:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#22 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

Wish you best of luck.

Contact with over the pond is usefull. Hope you thought to add a lineset or two if you needed them?

And I understand that Dave is good folks.

Part of the fun is having that kite no one else has in the UK (probably) a couple of mine are very ltd edition, or one of a kind, unless someone sees the sail and asks for exactly the same to be made up.

I have had a couple of deliveries where I have not been charged by customs at all. I sort of think there is a bit of pot luck about it.

Now you have the agonising wait of course. My longest wait has been just over 6 Weeks. Have had them MUCH quicker too though.

And dont forget, as soon as it arrives you have to check it out for damage in transit. This of course includes making sure it flies properly.

Good luck, I cant think of a better Christmas present. Let us all know how you get on.

#23 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:41 PM

Thanks Baloo

Yes, does seem bit of a lottery whether you get had or not.

Best delivery i've had was some springs for my old hobby from california and arrived 4 days after ordering! B)

I was mindful of the cost and potential customs charges, so no, I didn't order any line sets.
I figured I try it out on the 80lb lines that came with the B series, and if wasn't good enough i'd order some lighter lines.

#24 fungus

fungus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:20 AM

Hi Plod

the kite you flew at memorial park was 1.5 sul with 2 wrap, a good choice for inland wind

fungusPosted Image
wHind cHecks Har4 wHimps

#25 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hi Plod

the kite you flew at memorial park was 1.5 sul with 2 wrap, a good choice for inland wind

fungusPosted Image

We must meet up again and fly together again.
I'll try and drag my dad out as well.

Also been invited down to Dunstable Downs so thinking of going down there also for a fly.

#26 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

I've used a 50#x50' set a lot this summer, but I've also used my 80'x90# set too!! :) Just depends on where you fly, if you got the room!! :)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#27 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

I assumed i'd be able to use my B series handles, along with the lines, but does the SUL respond better with the extended handles?

#28 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:46 AM

you can use any kind of quad handles,

longer throws work well in low wind conditions,
but can be brutally uncomfortable in big wind (on your wrists ~ you're actually fighting all the leverage they offer)

I'd say they conservatively lower the wind range of a kite by a couple miles per hour, just this one change! It's the first thing to alter, after switching out the frame members to your lightest.

Remember longer handles have more weight though, that mass needs to be manipulated by you, suddenly on occasion!,... so light weight, longer throw handles are a further advantage. Some folks use the Rev indoor handles to great effect. I find they can't take all my flailing, that eventually the leader line is pulled thru the tube's liner.

I've seen folks bend aluminum tubing, use wood, even carbon and injection molded plastic. I created a set made of titanium tubing, they almost drag on the ground, the gap in between the two attachment points is 17 inches and they have most of the tube's bend right up at the top. They are rigged as no-snags. Another outrageous expenditure, I can't use them around other fliers, team-folks are in peril nearby me!

Make sure you have lots of adjustment capabilities on your leaders too, tops and bottoms. You need the kite to back-up inverted from resting on the ground. Then you have enough DOWN in your tuning. Now the sail is square to the wind. Now you can go practice your lightest wind techniques. With enough experience and proper tuning any size of handle will function. Longer throws eventually become another crutch you don't need to get around. You can do the same job without them, just not as easily or as quickly.

#29 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:22 AM

Thanks bud

I've ordered some 15" handles today :)

#30 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:16 AM

I'm agreeing on the handle issue - my SUL loves to be on 15" handles in light winds!! :) But when the wind gets up, I put those babies away and use the 13"!! :) In higher winds I find the 15" are too "busy"! :angry: Easy to over control with the longer handles in higher winds, the shorter 13" calm things down!!:)

wayne from portland

AKA member

#31 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

Well, the SUL arrived today, so guess i've got to give it a couple of days to see if a customs demand drops through the door.

Still waiting on the handles to arrive though

Only problem now is that the misses talked me out of a kite bag to have a kite instead for chrimbo, but the more stuff I get, the more I need the bag :lol:

I might have to sneekily purchase one :P

#32 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

I tracked my packages, phoned the delivery folks up as soon as it was with them. Then went and picked it up at the depot using my card to pay. Meant I got it a few Hours earlier.

No chance to fly it as it was dark, just got it in my hot and sweaty just that bit quicker.

#33 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:59 AM

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

I think I need to seek professional help!
Either that or cut up my credit card :lol:

Had an email from Kite Connection, and basically they have 125 1.5's and B's in stock and want to reduce that number down, and thus are offering 25% off, by inputting a promo code in at the checkout process.

Ended up buying a Custom rainbow B series mid vent, and whilst at it bought a spare SUL bridle, and also bought my son an extra present.
Since seeing those HQ Roto kites in a vid, I've wanted one, and when I shown my son it, he wanted it as well, and has mentioned it a few times since.
During checkout process, I saw Dave was doing a Skydog version, so purchased as well B)

Did think my next rev would be a blast or a revII but hey, it's only 2 months till my birthday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by plod38, 04 December 2010 - 05:01 AM.

#34 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

Cutting up your credit card will work for a while, until you get a replacement!! :kid_devlish: If you wrap up correctly, they make a nice blanket if you become homeless!! :w00t:

wayne from portland

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users