- - - - -

Introduction & 4th rev buying

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:04 AM

Hi, My name's Dave although many people just call me plod - a nickname that I got when I was 13 and 28 years later hasn't gone away :lol:

I live in the U.K. in Hinckley, Leicestershire.

Until 5 years ago, I had a PKD Buster 4m power kite, a Flexifoil Bullet 7m, and a Parastorm Typhoon Buggy for Power kite Traction duties, and I also had a Flexifoil Fury stunt kite.

Then, for days when there was no wind I bought a Nitro powered RC car, and suddenly kites were out the window, and the above got sold except the fury.
I started racing, and over the next few years built myself up until I was racing Truggies at National level.
I then saw the emerging class of Short course, and went over to that, but the nitro class never took off over here like in america.
I raced that for 6 months, and also bought an electric version.
Finances meant I needed to cut back, so sold the nitro and kept racing the electric for another 6 months, until finances deteriorated further meaning it was increasingly difficult to continue in the way I wanted to.

I won a RC car in a reffle and sold it and I thought I'd like to get back into power kiting, so bought a second hand Flexifoil Bullet 3.5m with the money, plus I'd ALWAYS wanted a Rev.
I decided to buy one second hand 'just in case I didn't like it'
At the time I asked around and kept my eye on the bay of E but nothing was coming up.

It was also killing me to keep seeing all my rc gear and not be able to race it, so just decided to sell the short course truck and 'sit' on the rest of the gear until finances improved.
I sold the truck, and also my pitting tent, and money raised was exactly the amount of a B series in the U.K.
I bit the bullet and ordered one - only problem was the placed I ordered from had to import it in, so would take a couple of weeks or so.

That sunday was One Sky One World, and someone offered to let me try their Rev out, as never actually flown one. I went the track and sold some more gear, then went to fly the rev.
I only had about 90 mins spare at the time, but the guy set up his SLE up for me, and instructed me on some basic moves.
I was off, with inverted flight, dive stops, flying backwards, it felt quite natural - ok, I was no champion, but for a first flight at revs, I was pretty impressed with myself, as heard a few instances of people buying a rev, not being able to fly it, and giving up.
Yes, i'm going to need LOTS of practise, but even so, I can see me getting on pretty good with the kite with time.
I spent 75 mins flying his kite with a grin like a cheshire cat, and basically after 5 mins, he left me to it, and went off chatting to other kite fliers.
3 days after I ordered the B series, someone offered me a SLE - ain't timing great :lol: - so I declined, and he put it up for sale. Only he hadn't told me a price, and the thing is, he'd tried to fly it once, couldn't, gave up and decided to sell, and the thing is, he was asking half of it's new value. I quickly changed my mind :lol::lol:

Tried flying the SLE and it was a disaster!
Could not get it to fly at all, and quickly gave up, quite dejected - I guess this is how the other guy felt.
Went home and studied some of the guides, particularly line management.
Went out the next day and staked out the lines and checked the length.
2 were the same length, one was about an inch longer, and the fourth an inch longer again.
I remembered the guy who had let me fly his rev said it wouldn't hurt to have longer brake lines whilst i'm learning, so adjusted just the longest to match the next longest and put them on the brakes.
It wasn't brilliant, but it flew. I was packing up when another flyer arrived, offered to re-set it up, and it was great - guess I must of snagged the bridle without realising or something?

The B series arrived, and flew it that weekend, and had aslo bought a wind meter. Wind was measured at 12mph, so left it as had arrived with 3 wrap frame in it. I could feel the wind picking up, but I hadn't noticed in the instructions how to secure the 2 wrap as well for when the winds picked up ( I believe now it literally just sits behind the other one).
I continued flying and could see the kite flexing, so decided to check the wind again, and it was 18mph gusting to 24mph.
It was definately time to pack up :lol:
It made me think that with winds like that I was going to need a vented version, so sold the Bullet 3.5m and some more rc gear and bought a B series vented in matching colours.

I've also got a load of rc gear which someone wants to buy but is still getting his money together to buy.
I know if I don't use the money to buy something for me - yes I know that selfish, but all the kites have come from funds by selling my other hobby up - it will get lost on day to day bills etc without realising.
There is the possibility, I could afford 2 more new revs, but one is a definate.
I sold the bullet initially as didn't know about the power series of revs, and wanted to use the money to buy a blast.
I also see that, like last weeked, when I wanted to go flying the wind had dissappeared :wacko:

Someone has suggested to me, that i'm trying to simply buy a rev for every condition as a substitute for ability and that keeping the money and simply practising is a far far better idea.

Whilst I agree, that practise is my best ally at the moment, I fear spending the money and having nothing to show for it and hence the ability to buy more revs whilst the chance is available.

I am leaning towards an SUL for those days when the wind is very low.
Am I doing the right thing, in wanting to purchase a SUL - the guy who let me fly his SLE said his SUL probably gets the most use out of the 3 revs he has

Anyway, I think i've waffled on enough for an introduction :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by plod38, 14 November 2010 - 03:11 AM.

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:14 AM

A good list IMHO

Zen
B
B full vent
Blast

You then have it all covered.

The Zen for those almost still Days
B for the in between
Vented for when the wind is whipping around
Blast for the power you were used to, and the glide of your life.

Anyway lets see what other folks suggest.

#3 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:36 AM

I guess the time is now to buy the Zen
With the VAT increase in the new year, and a waiting time of 4-8 weeks according to a U.K. kite retailer
Although might not make it in time for xmas, and possibly not for new year and the vat increase, mmm choices choices

Hadn't planned on the Zen over the SUL, but I might be getting 250 that I wasn't expecting next week, so would only need to put 95 towards it

#4 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:09 AM

I find myself usig a mid-vent more than anything else. Just thinking about the list.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#5 fungus

fungus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

Hi Plod and All

i think my next kite will be a REV MIDVENT PRO, in the new year, if i've been good and my bonus comes thru.

here in the english midlands i find myself flying in low wind most of the tim, so i have ZEN , as well as sul, standard and vent 1.5's and a REV B.

fungusPosted Image

i'm pleased that flying my REV SUL that day has put you in touch with 'the dark side' will catch up for a fly ASAP.
wHind cHecks Har4 wHimps

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

I have only 3 kites - An older Rev 1 for medium wind, a 1.5 SLE full vent for high winds, and a 1.5 SUL for low winds!:) Haven't really had much time with a Zen, but the SUL is a dream in the low winds we get here!! :lol: Probably used it more this summer than both of the others combined, wind conditions dictate that! Posted Image No matter what you get, if you can get a variety of rods to interchange in your kites, then you'll be able to handle most conditions! :) Just my thoughts!! :kid_smartass:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:40 AM

Went to go flying this afternoon and like last sunday afternnon, when I got to the flying site, the wind had disappeared.

I'm leaning more and more to getting a SUL
I'm not entirely sure i'm comfortable paying for a Zen, but if people were to say it's worth the money then i'm prepared to listen.

It's like when I first thought about buying a Rev, then the EXP was first choice down to cost, but my my actual first purchase was a B series, from advise read up on ( read up a fair bit on here before registering ). So i'm not adverse to paying more than envisaged if the product warrants it.

#8 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Have you thought about a race frame for your full sail and lighter
Lines,when the wind drops.I do not own a zen but
Have no trouble flying a full sail in light winds,with
A race frame,and 50lb lines
All the best

Daz

#9 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

I tried some zero wind flying today in a local playground/park. I'm pretty bad at it, so take all the following with a grain of salt.

I have a Zen and a 20th anniversary (which appears to have SUL parts). I found the latter much easier. The Zen is large and hard to maneuver. Easier to get flying, yes, and an incredible glide, but much more difficult to pull over your head and a less predictable when tossing. Particularly with 10 foot lines, I found the zen unwieldy. A very low constant wind is perfect for the zen. In touchier wind I think I'd take the SUL.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#10 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:37 PM

From what little time I've seen with the Zen, it likes longer lines!! :) Another advantage is that the SUL is flown by some indoors! :kid_smartass: And it will work on shorter lines, too! I agree lighter lines will help, I use a 50#x50' set that really opens up light winds! :) The Zen, being bigger than the 1.5, doesn't turn as fast, but will fly in the lowest winds I've seen!! :) Which ever you choose, you won't go wrong!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#11 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

I agree with SV, the Zen seems to like longer lines.

#12 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:39 AM

I flew for several days this weekend, all in a dead calm to maybe a swirly 3mph. I set up a set of 48 foot lines on very long throw handles, 90# LPG, (my festival flailing set-up) and also a set of 120s (50# LPG) on 15 inch no-snags. The two kites? a highly modified SUL B-series Pro 1point5 and box-stock Zen. I switched the kites back and forth between the two handle sets. Each kite would work as well as the other, but I have hours of practice in no wind, at least 10 a week since '95, mostly on the 1point5 platform size. So I'm more comfortable with the smaller size, it also flick-flaks much easier!!! Axels are slow and graceful on the Zen (mine does have magic sticks on the back, so no catching a flying line during slack-line stuff). Both feature excellent glide patterns to do field recovery moves.

When others came out to join me we all flew Pros with race frames (on 120'/50# if we had that line). Folks on 90# struggled more and no one could stand lead-footed unless you flew one of Ashworth's custom home-builts. They fly in a fart, but you need to "tend those lines" at all times, 'cause there's not enough mass for a decent glide, so no relaxing with free energy.

so which kite should you buy for low, or no-wind flying? The price and speed of your flight are the difference. Oh, and the Zen does this with less effort box-stock, whereas the SUL pro-series kite can be further enhanced through various modifications, which makes the kite more versatile, but adding elements or trying options adds to the overall price. The zen is freakin huge, so naturally you can get away with longer lines too. bigger canvas = better picture. Slow and graceful is what it's all about. On long lines the Zen can be flown in much heavier wind than it was designed for, but not in the power zone/dead-center of the window

My only caution against using light weight lines for 3D flying is they tangle very easily, hooking on every tiny piece of grass or twig. The 90#ers shed a tangle or release a bind much easier. You just yank and spank until it's free. It's strong enough to saw thru a leaf for example. Whereas the 50# lines? . . . you'd better land and go check/detangle 'em, if you put a tight knot in those lines it will never come out!

You need a larger dose of "DOWN" than you think is appropriate in your tuning set-up for low-wind. Remember that the sail has the most pressure if it's square to the wind. Pulling in the tops means effectively releasing the wind at the trailing edge.

Insure your lines are even, . . . did you check 'em on a stake at the handles? no-wind isn't time to find out there's a slight difference!

Longer handles offer more leverage in the kite, more leverage means less foot and arm movement to equal the same effect. Longer handles are move sensitive and a new variable is the perfect excuse to go practice.

Be prepared to move around, look at your surroundings, even the surface area,... if it's not smooth you could stub a toe or have an ankle fold-over in that darn sink hole. I'd rather fly over a parking lot then risk being laid-up for six months on one leg. I do burst-run or suddenly change directions if I have to, better footing is the confidence to go for it. I certainly can't be looking down at my feet thru bi-focals. Catching a kite on 120's is no easy feat for a busted-up old guy. I can't throw it that far either, but that doesn't matter if you use training wheels (magic sticks) You only need the lines to fetch-up tight. Any pilot probably had to run forward part of the length to do a catch anyway. So throwing the kite the whole distance is not even necessary. With the sticks on the back, the kite can be relaunched easily, nothing will be tangled. Throwing it 60 or more feet is certainly consistent and it glides out to an inverted landing always ready for flight. Heck you can throw it and begin walking back towards the handles without looking. That in itself amazes people, the kite flies all by itself, sets-up in the ready position and waits patiently for the flyer's return.

I love my Zen, if everyone owned one I'm sure it would be flown more. Right now though everybody has the full sail Pro, so I match-up and try to blend in at the back of the team line. I set-up both kites pretty much everywhere I go, they each have a special place in my bag.

#13 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

paul..let me remind you again that i enjoyed that french bridle setup back in capemay this summer.. thanks again
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#14 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

I do think I'll be going with the SUL as opposed to the Zen

I notice in posts above about rev's being custom made to customers requirements but don't see evidence of this in the U.K. but maybe i'm wrong.

However, whilst having a gander on the bay of E, I see 'The Kite Connection' are doing some custom revs
One of them is a rev in black and lime - same colours as both my B series kites, plus is made in the same material as the B series
It is kite only, but how many sets of handles and lines do you need at the end of the day? lol

Guess i'll run the risk of getting hit with customs, so with shipping, I could end up paying the same as in the U.K. except no handles and lines,
but end up with a SUL of a better quality and in colours unlikely to be seen over here and matching my B series kites.

mmm, choices, choices, lol

#15 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:24 PM

I am fairly sure you will find that UK shops (I am pretty sure Kiteworld) will order specials in for you.

Also any of the shops in the US will. I have bought quite a lot from Theresa at Thekiteshoppe.com she is good folks, as is Kent and many others on here who run shops. If you have a look on the Kitelife web page. Pretty much any of the folks on there are good.

I know folks who have gone the Bay of E route through Kite Connection also.

You can also order direct from Rev.

Any of the kites can pretty much be ordered Kite only, or even sail only if you think you have enough Rod sets etc.

While the $ exchange rate was good (for the UK) I found it paid to order from the US, however it might be worth working out the charges etc to see if this is a god way to go for you at the moment. Of course whichever way you go if you go for US there is the holding of breath while you wait for the post as part of the fun.

#16 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

I am fairly sure you will find that UK shops (I am pretty sure Kiteworld) will order specials in for you.

Also any of the shops in the US will. I have bought quite a lot from Theresa at Thekiteshoppe.com she is good folks, as is Kent and many others on here who run shops. If you have a look on the Kitelife web page. Pretty much any of the folks on there are good.

I know folks who have gone the Bay of E route through Kite Connection also.

You can also order direct from Rev.

Any of the kites can pretty much be ordered Kite only, or even sail only if you think you have enough Rod sets etc.

While the $ exchange rate was good (for the UK) I found it paid to order from the US, however it might be worth working out the charges etc to see if this is a god way to go for you at the moment. Of course whichever way you go if you go for US there is the holding of breath while you wait for the post as part of the fun.

Well, I was a little unsure, but Dave at Kite Connection will do me a SUL in Icarex with a Race rod set up shipped for the same price a standard SUL would cost in the U.K. :) :) :)

#17 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

Worth a go then.

You have added ALL the costs? Postage, Taxes, Import and the bit they add this end for handling, just cuz they can!!

#18 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

Worth a go then.

You have added ALL the costs? Postage, Taxes, Import and the bit they add this end for handling, just cuz they can!!

I've ordered and paid for the kite from Kite connection and cost is a little less than buying a standard SUL over here, including shipping.
If ( read when ) I get had by the customs, then I could be in my reckoning about 15-20 out of pocket.
Having said that, I am having it with a race rod set up, which would cost 79.99
plus it's made in better material, and after recieving a call from Dave last night, I'm getting it in a colour combination of which only 6 were ever made!

So, yes it's a gamble, but one i'm more than happy to take, which is the important thing.

I've been had by customs before and experienced the "bit they add for handling, just cuz they can" before
Was extra annoying as the retailer "OVER" valued the package, and sent priority, so not only paid higher vat amount than I should got hit with the higher rate of handling, grrr :lol:

Only annoying bit now, os the misses has said, I take it that's your xmas present!! :angry:
Might just have to have a "test" flight JUST to make sure all is ok :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#19 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:19 AM

You'll find the SUL to be a great choice for light winds!!:kid_smartass: Like I said before, it will open up those days when you wished there was more wind to fly your other stuff!:kid_devlish: Now you won't have to wait!!:lol: It still takes some practice to fly in low winds, the kite won't fly itself, but you've given yourself a whole lotta better odds!!!:) Take care of it, I switch to another kite rather than stretch that sail out using it at the limit of its range!! :) Good Luck!!:)

wayne from portland

AKA member

#20 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

You'll find the SUL to be a great choice for light winds!!:kid_smartass: Like I said before, it will open up those days when you wished there was more wind to fly your other stuff!:kid_devlish: Now you won't have to wait!!:lol: It still takes some practice to fly in low winds, the kite won't fly itself, but you've given yourself a whole lotta better odds!!!:) Take care of it, I switch to another kite rather than stretch that sail out using it at the limit of its range!! :) Good Luck!!:)

Thanks SV

I'll only use it in sub 5mph winds I assure you.

Has sure been annoying to want to go practise and finding little enough wind to be able to.
Less chance of getting lumbered with DIY by the misses as she can't say there isn't enough wind for me to fly now :lol: :lol: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users