I live in the U.K. in Hinckley, Leicestershire.
Until 5 years ago, I had a PKD Buster 4m power kite, a Flexifoil Bullet 7m, and a Parastorm Typhoon Buggy for Power kite Traction duties, and I also had a Flexifoil Fury stunt kite.
Then, for days when there was no wind I bought a Nitro powered RC car, and suddenly kites were out the window, and the above got sold except the fury.
I started racing, and over the next few years built myself up until I was racing Truggies at National level.
I then saw the emerging class of Short course, and went over to that, but the nitro class never took off over here like in america.
I raced that for 6 months, and also bought an electric version.
Finances meant I needed to cut back, so sold the nitro and kept racing the electric for another 6 months, until finances deteriorated further meaning it was increasingly difficult to continue in the way I wanted to.
I won a RC car in a reffle and sold it and I thought I'd like to get back into power kiting, so bought a second hand Flexifoil Bullet 3.5m with the money, plus I'd ALWAYS wanted a Rev.
I decided to buy one second hand 'just in case I didn't like it'
At the time I asked around and kept my eye on the bay of E but nothing was coming up.
It was also killing me to keep seeing all my rc gear and not be able to race it, so just decided to sell the short course truck and 'sit' on the rest of the gear until finances improved.
I sold the truck, and also my pitting tent, and money raised was exactly the amount of a B series in the U.K.
I bit the bullet and ordered one - only problem was the placed I ordered from had to import it in, so would take a couple of weeks or so.
That sunday was One Sky One World, and someone offered to let me try their Rev out, as never actually flown one. I went the track and sold some more gear, then went to fly the rev.
I only had about 90 mins spare at the time, but the guy set up his SLE up for me, and instructed me on some basic moves.
I was off, with inverted flight, dive stops, flying backwards, it felt quite natural - ok, I was no champion, but for a first flight at revs, I was pretty impressed with myself, as heard a few instances of people buying a rev, not being able to fly it, and giving up.
Yes, i'm going to need LOTS of practise, but even so, I can see me getting on pretty good with the kite with time.
I spent 75 mins flying his kite with a grin like a cheshire cat, and basically after 5 mins, he left me to it, and went off chatting to other kite fliers.
3 days after I ordered the B series, someone offered me a SLE - ain't timing great - so I declined, and he put it up for sale. Only he hadn't told me a price, and the thing is, he'd tried to fly it once, couldn't, gave up and decided to sell, and the thing is, he was asking half of it's new value. I quickly changed my mind
Tried flying the SLE and it was a disaster!
Could not get it to fly at all, and quickly gave up, quite dejected - I guess this is how the other guy felt.
Went home and studied some of the guides, particularly line management.
Went out the next day and staked out the lines and checked the length.
2 were the same length, one was about an inch longer, and the fourth an inch longer again.
I remembered the guy who had let me fly his rev said it wouldn't hurt to have longer brake lines whilst i'm learning, so adjusted just the longest to match the next longest and put them on the brakes.
It wasn't brilliant, but it flew. I was packing up when another flyer arrived, offered to re-set it up, and it was great - guess I must of snagged the bridle without realising or something?
The B series arrived, and flew it that weekend, and had aslo bought a wind meter. Wind was measured at 12mph, so left it as had arrived with 3 wrap frame in it. I could feel the wind picking up, but I hadn't noticed in the instructions how to secure the 2 wrap as well for when the winds picked up ( I believe now it literally just sits behind the other one).
I continued flying and could see the kite flexing, so decided to check the wind again, and it was 18mph gusting to 24mph.
It was definately time to pack up
It made me think that with winds like that I was going to need a vented version, so sold the Bullet 3.5m and some more rc gear and bought a B series vented in matching colours.
I've also got a load of rc gear which someone wants to buy but is still getting his money together to buy.
I know if I don't use the money to buy something for me - yes I know that selfish, but all the kites have come from funds by selling my other hobby up - it will get lost on day to day bills etc without realising.
There is the possibility, I could afford 2 more new revs, but one is a definate.
I sold the bullet initially as didn't know about the power series of revs, and wanted to use the money to buy a blast.
I also see that, like last weeked, when I wanted to go flying the wind had dissappeared
Someone has suggested to me, that i'm trying to simply buy a rev for every condition as a substitute for ability and that keeping the money and simply practising is a far far better idea.
Whilst I agree, that practise is my best ally at the moment, I fear spending the money and having nothing to show for it and hence the ability to buy more revs whilst the chance is available.
I am leaning towards an SUL for those days when the wind is very low.
Am I doing the right thing, in wanting to purchase a SUL - the guy who let me fly his SLE said his SUL probably gets the most use out of the 3 revs he has
Anyway, I think i've waffled on enough for an introduction
Edited by plod38, 14 November 2010 - 03:11 AM.