8 replies to this topic

#1 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

Has anyone out there got an old SLE for a 1.5,they can donate to me.The reason I need this is when people come up and ask questions,or say "can I try that",I would be able to set up a kite with the SLE and let them have a go,instead I have to refuse them the chance to fly as I don't want to take the chance of having my leading edge smashed.

Edited by dazlarsen, 07 November 2010 - 11:37 AM.

All the best

Daz

#2 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

I've let hundreds of people fly my revs over many years and I've never had a spar break. That's with a standard 3 wrap frame.
I can't promise you anything, but those spars are extremely durable.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

I've let hundreds of people fly my revs over many years and I've never had a spar break. That's with a standard 3 wrap frame.
I can't promise you anything, but those spars are extremely durable.

I fully agree on the ruggedness of the 3-wrap rod on the REV 1.5.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:58 AM

thanks for the replies,I will have to try the 3 wrap frame next time someone asks to have a go.
All the best

Daz

#5 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:15 AM

thanks for the replies,I will have to try the 3 wrap frame next time someone asks to have a go.

Maybe you would have better luck, just finding an old (SLE) leading edge [oh, sorry, I suppose that's what you were looking for]. Most Rev flyers have several laying around. If I had an extra, I'd send it to you, then you could just pull the old switch-a-roo, when a Newbie showed up on the scene. I feel your pain, though. I too am somewhat reluctant, to allow a Newbie, to fly one of my JB's. I'll always opt for the old 1.5 SLE, for training purposes. Those are like tanks............good luck (maybe you'll get a donation from someone) Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Reef Runner, 08 November 2010 - 06:17 AM.

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

Nick, from North Carolina, USA
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#6 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:27 AM

I'll send you an old SLE leading edge thats been sitting around collecting dust for eons if you want it, however I have to agree with the others on the use of a 3 wrap.
I feel and I'm sure others will agree that a better learning experience will come from teaching with a 3 or 4 wrap then an SLE.

PM me your addy and I'll get the SLE out to you right away.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#7 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

I'm agreeing with all the others - a 3 or 4 wrap LE will take a huge amount of punishment before it'll break!! :kid_smartass: I've had an older Rev 1 with a 4 wrap that I've only broken 1 spar on, and that was when the wind caught a wing tip and flipped it before I seated the outside rod all the way!! :kid_cussing: A 3 or 4 wrap will take almost anything a newbie can dish out, unless it's extreme!!:) The good thing is, you're willing to help others, safely, and that's important!! :)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#8 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

I'm agreeing with all the others - a 3 or 4 wrap LE will take a huge amount of punishment before it'll break!! Posted Image I've had an older Rev 1 with a 4 wrap that I've only broken 1 spar on, and that was when the wind caught a wing tip and flipped it before I seated the outside rod all the way!! Posted Image A 3 or 4 wrap will take almost anything a newbie can dish out, unless it's extreme!!Posted Image The good thing is, you're willing to help others, safely, and that's important!! Posted Image

Thanks for the great advice.I learnt to fly on 3 and 4 wrap frames and I know they can take a beating,but would still prefer to set up the 1.5 SLE and let anyone have a go,this is more a peace of mind thing,if you know what I mean.I am not willing to let someone with no experience loose with my B's,pro's,or materpiece's,with race frames,just yet.As for helping others,thats what it is all about "Getting others into kiting",
All the best

Daz

#9 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

I'll send you an old SLE leading edge thats been sitting around collecting dust for eons if you want it, however I have to agree with the others on the use of a 3 wrap.
I feel and I'm sure others will agree that a better learning experience will come from teaching with a 3 or 4 wrap then an SLE.

PM me your addy and I'll get the SLE out to you right away.

message sent mate
All the best

Daz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users