15 replies to this topic

#1 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

Now that it's November, I'm thinking I might be interested in getting an indoor rev. I have some questions, anyone want to give me a primer? A forum search didn't turn up a whole lot...

First, I'm wondering how hard it is to find a place that will let you use their facility. Where do you all fly?

What rods come with an indoor? I assume they must be lighter than 2 wraps, right? Can you put two wraps in for 0-2 outdoor flying? If so, do my 1.5 rods work, or are they the wrong length?

And why do I need special handles for indoor?

Thank you!Posted Image

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:21 PM

Not sure about how to find a place to fly.

I think you will find the indoor rods are specific just to that kite. Besides being skinny the Leading Edge is a different length to the 1.5.

Suppose you could put stronger rods in for low wind outdoor flying, and I am sure there are folks that might fly thier Indoor outdoors. However there is no Leading Edge mesh which will alter the characteristics of the kite if you try to fly it in pretty much any wind at all.

I think the handles are lighter and longer to get the best response from the kite.

Of course if anyone has better advice please chip in.One Rev I do not own is an Indoor. :)

#3 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

Katrina - I'm interested too, come to the Camas indoor festival and get all your questions answered by those that come!! Posted Image I plan to ask plenty of questions of all that come!! :) Should get plenty of info to digest!! :lol:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:33 PM

The Indoor Rev sail is a different shape than the 1.5 series kites so the frames are not interchangeable. The original Indoor Rev had the advantage rods in it which were very small in diameter. These Advantage rods are no longer being produced and there are only a couple shops that even have them around any more. We have a couple but not sure if we have a complete frame anymore, have to check our stock. The new series Indoor comes with the same I.D. rods as the other revolution kites (1/4" rods) but the rods are made differently and are lighter than the 2 wraps and are very delicate. You could probably fly the new rods in winds up to 2ish mph but anything more than that I would not recommend. The handles are different in length and the bend to help make flying the indoor easier with more control. I do know of several that fly with the normal handles but I prefer the indoor handles myself. The indoor handles are also carbon fiber and are much lighter than the normal 13" handles...don't think it matters much but they are nice.

We have Indoor Rev's in stock in several different color combination's as well as the standard colors.

As far as ares to fly, I would just look around for community centers, basket ball courts, churches, gym's etc... and talk to the respective owners to see if they will let you in to fly. All you can do is ask. :)

Hope this helps.

#5 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:27 AM

On indoor places to fly: note that places like basketball courts (which have highly-polished floors, and which have athletes falling on them) may require you to wear "indoor" shoes that never get worn anywhere else but on these courts. They don't want any dirt or grit ground into those surfaces.

It might help with getting permission, if you could assure them when asking that you have, and would wear such shoes. Also think about whether you have kite bags that have been picking up sand and grit at beaches or fields, before you bring them onto such a floor. You might want to consider a special "indoor only" bag.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#6 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

One thing to investigate, before you even talk to the owners, is the heating/air conditioning venting (HVAC). I have access to a health center with two full size basketball courts side by side ... the ceiling is about 40+ feet hight. Thought it would be fantastic until I tried flying there. The HVAC system uses the large found ducts in the ceiling with the air flow directed downward. If you're not a kite flier, you really don't notice the airflow ... but, for a newbie on indoor, it seems like a hurricane. Gravity is hard enough to overcome, but with the additional downward airflow and it just wasn't much fun.

Have since gotten permission at a youth center and a church with better "kite flying" ventilation.

Cheers,
Tom

#7 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

Katrina - I'm interested too, come to the Camas indoor festival and get all your questions answered by those that come!! Posted Image I plan to ask plenty of questions of all that come!! :) Should get plenty of info to digest!! :lol:

Thank you everyone for your responses!  Wayne, I knew there was an indoor festival in Camas, but I didn't realize it was TODAY. :w00t:   Holy moly, let me just finish my coffee, and I'll be out the door.  

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#8 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

Now that it's November, I'm thinking I might be interested in getting an indoor rev. I have some questions, anyone want to give me a primer? A forum search didn't turn up a whole lot...

First, I'm wondering how hard it is to find a place that will let you use their facility. Where do you all fly?

I fly either at my old high school in the lunch room, or in the gym at my college. If you have a community college near by, I would suggest trying that. All of the resources there are payed for with your tax dollars. I know at my college, there's basket ball practice, and classes and things, but ask around, and I'm sure there'll be an hour of open time that you can take advantage of. In my experience.... If I found it open, I get out a kite and fly. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission sometimes xD.

What rods come with an indoor? I assume they must be lighter than 2 wraps, right? Can you put two wraps in for 0-2 outdoor flying? If so, do my 1.5 rods work, or are they the wrong length?

The rods that come with the indoor appear to be race rods, or some variation. They are about an inch or so longer than the rev 1.4 rods. So, you can squeeze indoor rods into the verticals of a 1.5, but you can't fit 1.5 rods into a rev indoor.

And why do I need special handles for indoor?

Thank you!Posted Image

You don't need them. I fly indoors with a pair of Walt's pro handles. Regular 13" handles. THe only reason for this is that I lost my set of indoor handles a long time ago. I started using my outdoor handles, and got accustomed to them. The handles that come with the rev indoor are longer, giving it more sensitive control. Since I'm used to my shorter handles, and can't do some things as well with the longer handles.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

I've been in a few indoor soccer fields in my area that I thought would be great places to fly. Lots of head room,although I did'nt check for AC venting. I know the ones around here have breaks in there league times all the time. Something to check out!!!!!
mbro
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#10 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

Katrina - Had a great time today and thinking of going back for more!! :kid_content: Tried Amy's setup and liked it a lot!! Now for that lottery!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#11 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:00 PM

Katrina!

I missed you today! Penny said you were in the upper gym having a GREAT time! :)

I was downstairs :blue_wink:

And had a lot of Indoor Revs there for sale too :)

I hope you can make it back to the gym on Sunday too :)

Wayne! Awesome! FYI everybody! Wayne flew his first Indoor Mystery Ballet! Great job! :)

We had what, 17 fliers for the Mystery B? Pretty cool!

See you tomorrow!

Hugs,
T

#12 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:04 AM

Waves to T across the hall...
He he.. I was just gonna go back here and brag about Wayne (Strokevictom) too! He did fantastic and not only that, he flew our indoor rev till they locked the place up last night! Hoping to see you again today Wayne. For someone that only started indoor flying yesterday, its pretty darn impressive!

T? is coffee on? *runs out to hit the brew button* .. lets see who gets there first.!!

#13 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:29 AM

Amy - had so much fun flying the glider, was quite a feeling flying in front of a crowd!! :lol: And talk about that Rev!! :) Thanks to David for letting me try his dualie, wasn't sure I could still fly something indoors!! :wacko: Now I know that I still can, and that only makes me want an Indoor more!! :) Added to the rest of my wish list, that's only about 5 or 6 more!! :) Just had to add more thoughts!! It was a pleasure watching all the fliers that were in the comps and demos ,they were unbelievable!! JB, I swear you could fly a refrigerator, if it had string attached to it!!! :kid_devlish: I can't even tell you all how much fun I had, and bring accepted by everyone was so special to me!! :) Thanks for letting me join this family!! :lol: Where's the next one??!! Posted Image

Edited by stroke victim, 08 November 2010 - 11:02 AM.

wayne from portland

AKA member

#14 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:19 AM

Windless Kite Festival in Long Beach Washington. January 15-16 at the elementary school . For more information go to

http://kitefestival....ite-festival-2/

hehe.. you asked!!!! It was great to have you there Wayne!

#15 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for the info!! :):) If I can make it, it will probably be for one day! :angry::angry: But I'm sure I'll have fun!!:)

wayne from portland

AKA member

#16 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

Katrina,
Perhaps this thread will be helpful. I started it a while back and would love some more feedback on it. I am attempting to establish a generic set of guidlines that facilities managers of all sorts can use to govern indoor kite flying.

http://www.revkites....__1
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users