#21 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

Any tips on pulling off multiple axels?
I'm completing single axels nicely now, thanks to some help :) but my rotations are too slow to bring my 1.5 B around for multiple rotations with just the one big pull.

The trick for multiple axels is getting the right output from the first axel. You want the kite to come out in the same position as it went in. Ideally, when you come out of the first axel, you want to be in a samurai slide. The kite will not fully power back up between the axels, but you will make it glide for just a moment before hitting each one. If you are ambidextrous, you can even try switching the direction between axels. I can pull it off every now and again, but my left-hand axels just aren't as strong or reliable.

So, to recap, I think the key to getting multiple axels is being able to come out of the axel where you want. Practice hitting axels so you can come out facing, left, right, up or down on command. This just comes from slight differences in how hard you are hitting the axel, and how much slack you give it. This is something that takes a lot of practice. Once you are able to come out of the axel just how you want, you can mediately set up for the next axel.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#22 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

Any tips on pulling off multiple axels?
I'm completing single axels nicely now, thanks to some help :) but my rotations are too slow to bring my 1.5 B around for multiple rotations with just the one big pull.

It is kind of hard to describe how I do it.
It is when the REV is coming out of the first rotation, you yank the lines that you yanked to start the rotation, again. The problem is to get the timing right.
With a lot of practice, it is possible to exceed ten rotations with nice new, clean and slippery lines. I personally use Shanti SPEED lines for this.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#23 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

The trick for multiple axels is getting the right output from the first axel. You want the kite to come out in the same position as it went in. Ideally, when you come out of the first axel, you want to be in a samurai slide. The kite will not fully power back up between the axels, but you will make it glide for just a moment before hitting each one. If you are ambidextrous, you can even try switching the direction between axels. I can pull it off every now and again, but my left-hand axels just aren't as strong or reliable.

So, to recap, I think the key to getting multiple axels is being able to come out of the axel where you want. Practice hitting axels so you can come out facing, left, right, up or down on command. This just comes from slight differences in how hard you are hitting the axel, and how much slack you give it. This is something that takes a lot of practice. Once you are able to come out of the axel just how you want, you can mediately set up for the next axel.

It is kind of hard to describe how I do it.
It is when the REV is coming out of the first rotation, you yank the lines that you yanked to start the rotation, again. The problem is to get the timing right.
With a lot of practice, it is possible to exceed ten rotations with nice new, clean and slippery lines. I personally use Shanti SPEED lines for this.

Ok cool! High winds kept me grounded today, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Hopefully :)
One last question - let's say I began my first axel with a left to right slide - should I throw my left arm forward again before my second yank? When I follow thru with my arms after the first axel, my left arm is already kind of forward anyways.

I can't wait to experience the kind of precision described above! I can choke back my axels now, which lets me exit where and when I like, but to get the slack and pull down to where it finishes when I want without the correction will be a crowning achievement.
Thanks as always for all the help! :)

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#24 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

You mentioned one "big pull", to be clear, it should be a "pull"... Pull indicates a follow through (pulling back), it should really be a hard impact on the end of the active line(s).

This keeps the kite loose... If you follow through by pulling back on that same hand, you actually tighten the lines again, and leave the kite too loaded up for the multiple axels.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#25 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

Semantics again... My bad ;)

My "big pull" doesn't have the follow through the term "pull" denotes, I guess I just don't like the term "big yank" lol.

Big tug? Hard pop? :) :lol:

My follow through has my arms following the motion of the kite as it rotates through the axel, partially in an effort to keep the lines slack, so I'm good there. I haven't even tried for the multiple axel yet, I keep getting hypnotized by the first axel, and miss my window for the second pop on the active line.

Thanks, as always, for the help :)

Have Rev, Will Travel

#26 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

Ok cool! High winds kept me grounded today, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Hopefully :)
One last question - let's say I began my first axel with a left to right slide - should I throw my left arm forward again before my second yank? When I follow thru with my arms after the first axel, my left arm is already kind of forward anyways.

If you are in an inverted slide from left to right, your left arm would normally be pulled back, yes? Before your second axel, you want to get back into the same samurai slide as you were before, so you will want your left arm to be pulled back before the second yank. Think of it as stopping in between axels and sliding for a fraction of a second.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#27 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

If you are in an inverted slide from left to right, your left arm would normally be pulled back, yes? Before your second axel, you want to get back into the same samurai slide as you were before, so you will want your left arm to be pulled back before the second yank. Think of it as stopping in between axels and sliding for a fraction of a second.

Ok, back from kiting....
When I complete my first axel, and my Rev rotates back near the samurai slide position, I'm loading up the sail too much and wind up back in more of an inverted slide than a samurai slide. It's a reflexive thing for me, the kite feels so loose as it rotates out of the axel. I have to practice keeping the kite loose as it finishes the first axel. Then on to the timing of the next pop on the active line.
Thanks again for all the help :)

Have Rev, Will Travel

#28 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Anyone have luck with performing an Axel on the Shockwave?

I couldn't call what I have going on an "Axel". Right now, I'd call it "ugly".

Have Rev, Will Travel

#29 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

Beautiful slo-mo Axle in this video may help to understand the tecnoqu required.

Now all I have to do is master it.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#30 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

Beautiful slo-mo Axle in this video may help to understand the tecnoqu required.

Now all I have to do is master it.

@ 23 SEC...

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#31 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:30 AM

Oops sorry forgot to post the link. Thanks Madquad.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#32 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

Great example of the Axel guys.

Being a right hander myself, I seem to have a leaning to doing a smoother axel when flying the Rev from right to left, but working on left to right ones over the last while.

Speaking of Axels, another one I've been trying to do (never seen anyone doing it as yet) and its probably near impossible but what about 'back to back axels' (or near) in opposite rotations ...I've had varying degrees of success, nothing I'd show on video mind you LOL.

Double Axel: I had a go at a friends Rev2 sometime back and noticed that I could get two full rotations of the kite from one pop ..but the thing with the Rev2 is that its so fast you'd actually have to view it in slo-mo to count the rotations smile.png

Chris

#33 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

Speaking of Axels, another one I've been trying to do (never seen anyone doing it as yet) and its probably near impossible but what about 'back to back axels' (or near) in opposite rotations ...I've had varying degrees of success, nothing I'd show on video mind you LOL.

I've done it. First time I did it was with a Zen prototype on thirty foot lines. I don't do it often because my left axel is too unreliable, but it is certainly doable.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#34 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

My follow through has my arms following the motion of the kite as it rotates through the axel, partially in an effort to keep the lines slack, so I'm good there. I haven't even tried for the multiple axel yet, I keep getting hypnotized by the first axel, and miss my window for the second pop on the active line.

I can't do anything like this discussion, yet.  But I certainly understand the hypnotized part of it.

May the forest be with you

"I live back in the woods, you see
A woman & the kids, & the dogs & me"

Bocephus

#35 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

When flying dualies it's called a cascade, opposite direction axels choked off half-way through.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#36 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

I'm after that "fade to flick-flak landing".  Ever seen Scott Weider do that?  Man it's a killer two step, but it happens so fast.  You do an axel, at half way around though you snap it powerfully into the flick position and then stick the landing.  I'm severely left handed so I'm working on execution in both directions, my preference is doing it towards the right side.  It will be awhile before I can stick this unconsciously though!  It's all a timing thing, but done at warp speed.  I have to work myself up to that pace each time I practice.  

#37 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'm after that "fade to flick-flak landing".  Ever seen Scott Weider do that?  Man it's a killer two step, but it happens so fast.  You do an axel, at half way around though you snap it powerfully into the flick position and then stick the landing.  I'm severely left handed so I'm working on execution in both directions, my preference is doing it towards the right side.  It will be awhile before I can stick this unconsciously though!  It's all a timing thing, but done at warp speed.  I have to work myself up to that pace each time I practice.  

Hack!!!!!ani_notworthy.gif

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#38 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

you know Rich,

when all the Riders have this technique down (with Weider's execution style & consistency) he'll actually work it into the routines to keep them challenging,...

Pez down from the right,

quarter turn pivot, (forward rollover) to inverted hover,

half axel to a fade, instantly flick-to a 2 point landing thereafter, 

in unison as the music ends,

work on the geometry,

both Paul's stop jackin' around,

Laura quiet on the line,

Rich stop poking me

Walk when I do!

#39 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

you know Rich,
when all the Riders have this technique down (with Weider's execution style & consistency) he'll actually work it into the routines to keep them challenging,...

Pez down from the right,
quarter turn pivot, (forward rollover) to inverted hover,
half axel to a fade, instantly flick-to a 2 point landing thereafter, 

in unison as the music ends,

work on the geometry,

both Paul's stop jackin' around,
Laura quiet on the line,

Rich stop poking me

Walk when I do!

I wait for the video

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#40 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

I wait for the video

With sound track!!!cat_lol.gif

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users