7 replies to this topic

#1 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:10 AM

Pls. explain to me the effect of bend in the different types of rods? I am relatively new in Revs, so forgive me if it is trivial.

I know a lighter rod 2 wrap compared to a higher number weighs less. and therefore can fly in less wind.

But is it only a matter of weight?

Or does the bend effect also play a role?
E.g. am I right in that more bend equals more lift? And also more pull? Posted Image Or only one of them?...

If more bend equals more lift and more pull, I could also use this principle in "reverse"; I am thinking when a standard sail pulls a bit too much, it will pulls less with a stiffer rod, right? (So in this sense a SLE rod might be good (Blasphemy, I know!))

And what about the race rods, where do they fit in in this logic? More bend for the same weight or only more strength for the same weight?

Thanks for telling me!Posted Image

#2 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

You can reshape the sail a lot more with some bend. The dive-stop is much cleaner with a stiff leading edge. I find the bend "cups" the wind more, so I wouldn't say there's always less pull. The bend allows the bottoms to come out more and enhances the braking.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#3 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:02 AM

You can reshape the sail a lot more with some bend. The dive-stop is much cleaner with a stiff leading edge. I find the bend "cups" the wind more, so I wouldn't say there's always less pull. The bend allows the bottoms to come out more and enhances the braking.

Thanks for replying, Ahofer!

I am not sure what your answer was to my questions? Maybe becasuse I am not native in english....

Are you saying that a stiffer rod, does not equal less pull? Enhances braking, does that mean a flexier rod will give a slower kite?

Sorry for asking ;) And thanks for posting :kid_smartass:

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

Maybe these words will help.
The more the rod flexes, the more the sail will cup or balloon, thus more pull.
The stiffer rods keep the sail flatter thus the winds spills off the sides, thus less pull.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

John's right. In almost every position or direction, rod flex can create more pull by cupping the sail.

A heavy, stiff leading edge will drive the kite really hard toward the leading edge, so it will pull hard in that "forward" position (see the blast and shockwave kites, which can pull you across the ground). When you put the brakes on it de-powers almost immediately.
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#6 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

Maybe these words will help.
The more the rod flexes, the more the sail will cup or balloon, thus more pull.
The stiffer rods keep the sail flatter thus the winds spills off the sides, thus less pull.

Thanks a lot, thats clear even to me!

#7 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

John's right. In almost every position or direction, rod flex can create more pull by cupping the sail.

A heavy, stiff leading edge will drive the kite really hard toward the leading edge, so it will pull hard in that "forward" position (see the blast and shockwave kites, which can pull you across the ground). When you put the brakes on it de-powers almost immediately.

Thanks for clarifying!

PS: As the lift has not been commented, I guess I am wrong regarding more bend means more lift...

#8 Beaufort

Beaufort

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

Some good asnwers here in an old thread I just found ;)

http://www.revkites....light-rods-etc/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users