stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

AWESOME JOB!! :)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#102 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

The priority will be set on a first come first served basis.

Week 1 - Bigot
Week 2 - Diamond
Week 3 - Wiper, or what ever David called it.
Week 4 open

<snip>

I am granting Felix the privilege of changing priorities when he feels it is appropriate.

Thanks John but I would prefer to go along with the consensus, (whatever turns up) and most importantly what interests you. <grins>

Bigot and Diamond have not been flown yet. The Radar as David prefers to call it, has. There are a number of moves which will be familiar to everyone who had been involved in the grid format so far such as concentric circles, bursts and threads. There are some 16 grid 4 x 4 rotations that could be usefully documented that were flown at the press preview at Bristol 2008 as I recall.

The Threads to rotations or 'dosey do's' could be good and I have it in mind that there may be a horizontal to vertical thread switch which should be pinned down.

The 'Parallel 360' rolls are on my agenda as well.

I would really hope that others will contribute suggestions.

Felix

#103 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

I think some thought need's to be given into how the initial grid is formed, the starting grid position need's to be formed quickly and without a lot of fidgiting going on while people get into position, my intial thought would be to have all the kites in a line across the arena and to then have column's of four radar up to vertical while at the same time the flyers walk backwards to their position on the ground, maybe the formation of the grid could be the start of the routine, just a thought.

#104 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

I think some thought need's to be given into how the initial grid is formed, the starting grid position need's to be formed quickly and without a lot of fidgiting going on while people get into position, my intial thought would be to have all the kites in a line across the arena and to then have column's of four radar up to vertical while at the same time the flyers walk backwards to their position on the ground, maybe the formation of the grid could be the start of the routine, just a thought.

That is certainly part of what is being considered. The Long Beach 'get in' for 64 fliers involved two lines of 32 kites. 16 is very straight forward by comparison.

I would expect the initial launch to be part of the performance, similarly the final landing.

Thanks for your thoughts

Felix

#105 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

Hi Felix-

Just imagine the sixteen kites "morphing" from one shape/design to the next. Slowly everyone moves out to a shape, then after it's "seen", everyone moves quicker into the next one, then slower into something else.

I can picture something where the four columns morph into a sort of "M" shape and then it morphs and flattens out to become either a flat line or somewhere inbetween, and then fade back in to the so called "M" .... sort of how the folds in a paper fan can stretch out and flatten or fold back in when squeezed together; when looking at it on the end. (It's hard to put into words a visual like that).

Just thinking....... lol
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#106 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hi Felix-

Just imagine the sixteen kites "morphing" from one shape/design to the next. Slowly everyone moves out to a shape, then after it's "seen", everyone moves quicker into the next one, then slower into something else.

I can picture something where the four columns morph into a sort of "M" shape and then it morphs and flattens out to become either a flat line or somewhere inbetween, and then fade back in to the so called "M" .... sort of how the folds in a paper fan can stretch out and flatten or fold back in when squeezed together; when looking at it on the end. (It's hard to put into words a visual like that).

Just thinking....... lol

Hi Laura,

We put a folding move in the Decs routine recently. The key is, as you say, to morph from one configuration to another. I imagine it done 'slowly'. <grins>

Big grid to little grid could be an initial simple example.

Felix

#107 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:50 AM

Regarding the launch and landing. Always impressed to see that 'Pass over' move when doing either.

As example this motley bunch seem to have it down Posted Image

Think it might be workable with two sets of 8s in a mirrored take off (both to the left and right) to form the initial grid maybe?! or landing in this fashion.

[edit] thinking about it now probably not if standing in grid formation ....pity that.[edit]

Is there any other alternatives than 'radaring' to ground?!

Chris

Edited by kristalis, 09 November 2010 - 03:54 AM.

#108 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:54 AM

<snip>

Chris

Chris,

I made a suggestion in the very first post of this thread for a sequential 'ladder up' in opposite directions for each of the four groups. I have not gone into detail but envisaged the kites 'hopping' into position on the ground as the initial kites launched. The 'ladders up' could very well be accompanied by taking a couple of steps back to set up the grid on the ground. The reverse down to ground could work I think!

Felix

#109 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

<snip>

Chris

Chris,

Another slightly devious thought occurred to me which was that we might want to set up 'non-linear' line-ups of fliers in order to execute specific figures. Last weekend we were flying 5 and following around in various unconventional orders without issue. This could be exploited in the 16 Grid.

It all comes down to the perception of the fliers of the figures that are intended.

(EDIT I was suddenly reminded of the positions that American Football players take up just before/after the ball is put into play in anticipation of the moves that will follow)

Felix

Edited by Felix Mottram, 10 November 2010 - 01:04 PM.

#110 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:41 PM

If a Super Sixteen was VERY practiced, would it be feasable for them to walk from grid to line than back to grid again. This would enable other "non grid friendly" positions and open up the routine.

I understand space allowing of course.

Excuse me if this has been suggested B4.

#111 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

The first reworked version of the Diamond animation is now ready to be checked out at:
http://gyraphicdesig..._v08g-play.html

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#112 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

The first reworked version of the Diamond animation is now ready to be checked out at:
<snip>

Hi John,

It seems to be sticking on the title page.

Felix

#113 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:09 AM

Another slightly devious thought occurred to me which was that we might want to set up 'non-linear' line-ups of fliers in order to execute specific figures.

Yeah I'd see that working quite well.

Speaking from the view point of someone who has only ever flown in 5 grids to date.

Its easy to visualise ....starting with that 'normal' line-up, shoulder to shoulder and stepping back in sequence while laddering up into a grid formation both in the air and on the ground. Actually see it being a lot more straight forward than how building a grid works at present. And then the reverse at the end of the routine, walking forward and slotting back into your place, in the shoulder to shoulder line to finish. I'd say a lot tidier and strangely I'd say less ground hungry too. But even if thats all the movement that was needed, its a starting point.

Possibility of the caller requiring a 'persuader' in the form of a big stick or whip, to get flyers moving into line though. hehe!

(EDIT I was suddenly reminded of the positions that American Football players take up just before/after the ball is put into play in anticipation of the moves that will follow)

I take your point Felix.

Any of our American cousins want to jump in with any 'plays' they consider of interest .....educated us Europeans.

Other than 'Go! Long Jynx, Go! Long' (with that 250 ft lineset) .....sorry bringing the tone down again. heh!

BTW the latest 'Diamond' animation seems to be working OK. Scroll down as there's a 'Play and Pause' button positioned at the base of the animation that some might've missed. Love the inclusion of the counter, nice touch.

Chris

Edited by kristalis, 11 November 2010 - 04:30 AM.

#114 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:38 AM

<snip>

BTW the latest 'Diamond' animation seems to be working OK. Scroll down as there's a 'Play and Pause' button positioned at the base of the animation that some might've missed. Love the inclusion of the counter, nice touch.

Chris

Hmmm! No scroll option here in Firefox and Safari on Mac or IE8 on PC.

Edit Then I reduced the page to 75% and got the buttons...

Felix

Edited by Felix Mottram, 11 November 2010 - 04:39 AM.

#115 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:08 AM

Hi John,

It seems to be sticking on the title page.

Felix

My fault. I am using a large monitor. I should have shrunk it down to a size more usable by everyone without them have to adjust. I will take care of it in around 8 hours or so.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#116 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

My fault. I am using a large monitor. I should have shrunk it down to a size more usable by everyone without them have to adjust. I will take care of it in around 8 hours or so.

No worries.

The pause button is wicked as it gives the opportunity to consider other interesting ways to get back to the start point or further potential steps in a routine. I like the 1, 5, 7, 3 crossing point and wondered where the lines would be at that point. I also think that when the diamond is reformed each quadrant could form squares before rotating back. <grins>

Felix

#117 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:41 AM

I also think that when the diamond is reformed each quadrant could form squares before rotating back. <grins>
Felix

Slave Driver <grins>

#118 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

Slave Driver <grins>

Then we have four diamonds which could transform into pinwheels (left or right tips in), do a rotation, 180, reverse out and hit the traditional horizontal thread on the outward leg. On the return leg how about the dosey doe's (how should that be spelt...?) and then the next move <grins>

Great work John.

Thanks

Felix

#119 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

You know I've kept my mouth shut on this thread cause I'm not much of a flier at this level but I will say its way cool and even me who likes to fly to a different
drummer shall we sayPosted Image wants to come out and play........Posted Image Thanks all who are making this thread possible cause there is a ton of good stuff here, to John
and Felix my hat is off to you both for all your hard work..... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#120 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

You know I've kept my mouth shut on this thread cause I'm not much of a flier at this level but I will say it way cool and even me who likes to fly to a different
drummer shall we sayPosted Image wants to come out and play........ Thanks all who are making this thread possible cause there is a ton of good stuff here, to John
and Felix my hat is off to you both for all your hard work..... Ben

Hi Ben, think I mentioned now you are on your back for a while good chance for you to come up with some ideas  :kid_devlish:

Then you will HAVE to come to Berck next year and show us  :blue-cool: :blue_wink: :blue-grin:  :blue-confused: :blue-sleepy: :blue-music: :blue-love: :kid_devlish: :blue-cool: :blue_wink: :blue-grin:  :blue-confused: :blue-sleepy: :blue-music: :blue-love: :blue-love:

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users