488 replies to this topic

#321 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

As an aside, one of the issues that I had noted was that the initial grouping was potentially based around the 16 grid and the four kites in 'each corner' of the grid rather than the columns or lines that seemed to be your point of reference in the numbering that you had applied.

Felix

I am setting it up to work in multiple points of reference.
The primary, though this could change, is the 4 columns reference.
You could transit at any time from 4 columns reference(CA and variations) to the 4 rows reference(FA and variations) or the 4 block reference(DA and variations).
I am visualizing that there are times when one of the other references might be better for the maneuvers you want to do.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#322 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

I am setting it up to work in multiple points of reference.
The primary, though this could change, is the 4 columns reference.
You could transit at any time from 4 columns reference(CA and variations) to the 4 rows reference(FA and variations) or the 4 block reference(DA and variations).
I am visualizing that there are times when one of the other references might be better for the maneuvers you want to do.

I'm not quite sure that I understand how that might work in practice <grins>

Felix

#323 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

I have added "CB-EA-CB" to category C and "EA-CB-EA" to category E.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#324 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

I have added "BG-HI-BG" to category B and "HI-BG-HI" to category H.

#325 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

I have added "CB-BB-CB" to category C and "BB-CB-BB" to category B.
That is all for today.

#326 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

I have added "CB-BB-CB" to category C and "BB-CB-BB" to category B.
That is all for today.

John,

I think that by articulating the transitions between the various figures a 'pattern' of possibilities is becoming clear. <grins>

We may set about trying to get 16 fliers together in SE England over the New Year weekend. Any takers?

Felix

#327 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

I'm not quite sure that I understand how that might work in practice <grins>

Felix

For the time being I am going to place the idea of block groups and row groups on ice.
I'll rework block groups into being based on column groups and then continue with those animations.
As for Row groups it will stay in it's present state for the time being. In other words I won't be adding any animations unless we see a real need for this group.

#328 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

For the time being I am going to place the idea of block groups and row groups on ice.
I'll rework block groups into being based on column groups and then continue with those animations.
As for Row groups it will stay in it's present state for the time being. In other words I won't be adding any animations unless we see a real need for this group.

I'm not quite sure about your distinctions here. I appreciate the need to work through methodically but I keep 'seeing' the connections between the column groups, row groups and block groups. I'm thinking of the calling say of 'columns to diamonds' (a horizontal row of four diamonds), 'rows to diamonds' (a vertical column of four diamonds) and 'four blocks to diamonds' (2 x 2 diamonds).

Felix

#329 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:09 AM

I'm not quite sure about your distinctions here. I appreciate the need to work through methodically but I keep 'seeing' the connections between the column groups, row groups and block groups. I'm thinking of the calling say of 'columns to diamonds' (a horizontal row of four diamonds), 'rows to diamonds' (a vertical column of four diamonds) and 'four blocks to diamonds' (2 x 2 diamonds).

Felix

Felix, it is not dead, just on ice for the time being. The block groups are being kept, but in an ice folder for the time being. Row groups is just being left alone for the time being. I want to place most of the concentration for the moment on column groups.
I am presently creating a new blocks. It is based on column groups. Last night I reworked an early block routine into being based on column groups. It works fine and seems easier to understand. This evening, time permitting, I will break it up into animated elements.

#330 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

Felix, it is not dead, just on ice for the time being.
<snip>

Fine, it is entirely up to you how to proceed!

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Felix

#331 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

Talked to John Mitchell in San Diego last Saturday, and he asked if I was following this thread. I told him that I had looked at some of it, but not the whole thing. Well, I have spent a good portion of today doing just that.

There is way too much fun posted here. Lynn and I were in our first grid at Kite Party 8, a grid of 16. We were in several 16s as well as the 56 and 64 at WSIKF.

The problem we have here is getting 16 fliers together. A few weeks ago we were in San Diego for a few days and had John Mason, Tom King, Carol and Cass Pittman (from Seattle, WA), Lynn and myself. We only needed 10 more Rev fliers. I'm not sure there are 10 more in Southern California who could/would fly in a grid, and if there are, getting them all in the same place at the same time, well, good luck.

Perhaps New Years Day at Mariner Point in San Diego?

Who's up for it?
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#332 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:44 PM

Talked to John Mitchell in San Diego last Saturday, and he asked if I was following this thread. I told him that I had looked at some of it, but not the whole thing. Well, I have spent a good portion of today doing just that.

There is way too much fun posted here. Lynn and I were in our first grid at Kite Party 8, a grid of 16. We were in several 16s as well as the 56 and 64 at WSIKF.

The problem we have here is getting 16 fliers together. A few weeks ago we were in San Diego for a few days and had John Mason, Tom King, Carol and Cass Pittman (from Seattle, WA), Lynn and myself. We only needed 10 more Rev fliers. I'm not sure there are 10 more in Southern California who could/would fly in a grid, and if there are, getting them all in the same place at the same time, well, good luck.

Perhaps New Years Day at Mariner Point in San Diego?

Who's up for it?

Hi Jim,

The Super Sixteen is, in my view, a focus for the practicalities of large scale grid flying and the more regular fly ins. It may be that 25 - 30 fliers can turn up at an event which can result in a dramatic presentation for a short time but that there may be not much 'depth' in the type of moves that they can do or the links between them. Building a repertoire of moves/transitions with which all the fliers are familiar is going to be the way to develop this project.

I think that you have to challenge So-Cal to get its act together in this instance.

Felix

#333 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

Hi Jim,

The Super Sixteen is, in my view, a focus for the practicalities of large scale grid flying and the more regular fly ins. It may be that 25 - 30 fliers can turn up at an event which can result in a dramatic presentation for a short time but that there may be not much 'depth' in the type of moves that they can do or the links between them. Building a repertoire of moves/transitions with which all the fliers are familiar is going to be the way to develop this project.

I think that you have to challenge So-Cal to get its act together in this instance.

Felix

We'll see who shows up for the New Years fly in San Diego.

I think Kite Party 9 will most likely be the next opportunity to get that many Rev fliers together in So-Cal. There just doesn't seem to be a large enough number of Rev fliers here to get together for a 16 grid. The most I have have seen at any one time, except for KP, has been eight. Eight is great, but only half a grid.

Perhaps a little more push on the part of us So-Cal fliers will help. We'll see. Desire may be another issue. Grid seems to be a bigger thing on your side of the pond. One little problem is that we usually leave So-Cal in May and don't return until October.

We are looking hard at a trip across the pond in 2012. Berck, perhaps Cervia, UK for sure. Depends on dates for Berck. Hope it's not during Easter week again.

Anyway, sure enjoy the grid posts.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#334 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:35 AM

The Categories D - 4 Blocks and F - 4 Rows have been disabled. They might be used at a later time.
A NEW Category K - 4 Corners has been created, however animations are not yet available. They will be added in the next days.
Keep tuned for more!

#335 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:55 PM

The Categories D - 4 Blocks and F - 4 Rows have been disabled. They might be used at a later time.
A NEW Category K - 4 Corners has been created, however animations are not yet available. They will be added in the next days.
Keep tuned for more!

Fantastic developments here. The problem is that there are so many possibilities. <grins>

Felix

#336 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

It is especially mind boggling for me trying to keep it all straight.

#337 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:26 AM

It is especially mind boggling for me trying to keep it all straight.

I'm glad to hear it, you two lost me, and I suspect many others, good 150 posts ago.

I am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with though.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#338 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

I'm glad to hear it, you two lost me, and I suspect many others, good 150 posts ago.

I am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with though.

John is trying to avoid getting the lines of individual kites twisted! <grins>

That is quite an undertaking...

We are 'collectively' trying to come up with sequences of moves that can follow 'one to another' without reversing or repetition.

By focusing on the detail, which is quite mind boggling at the outset, some aspect are becoming clearer.

Felix

#339 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

Sorry, nothing new today. I was a bit involved in another REV related project.

#340 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:29 AM

Maybe some new ideas here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=f_lXqMmevog
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

0 user(s) are reading this topic