Felix

#222 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

Top left 4 facing right, top right 4 facing down, bottom right 4 facing left, bottom left 4 facing up...

Felix

This is what I have interpreted: boxed_in.png

I see some great possibilities to build maneuvers from this.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#223 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

This is what I have interpreted:

I see some great possibilities to build maneuvers from this.

That's the one. Very easy to get into as well.

I basically answered the previous question I posed regarding the 8 kite diameter 4 way pinwheel! The back pairs could just slide outwards and forwards slightly and we have it in a vertical/horizontal configuration.

Felix

#224 Stephen

Stephen
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

That's the one. Very easy to get into as well.

I basically answered the previous question I posed regarding the 8 kite diameter 4 way pinwheel! The back pairs could just slide outwards and forwards slightly and we have it in a vertical/horizontal configuration.

Felix

Or you could have the outer lead of each foursome slide out and allow the trailers in between the leaders, or the lead pair slide out and let the trailing pair move straight up, or even have the leads slide out with the outer trailer moving up and diagonally between them to split them as the inner trailer moves up to become the new centre.

There are many ways ahead, some of which may be more suitable depending upon what happened previously, or what is going to happen next.

I see plenty of opportunities for some interesting choreography, and chances for it to go terribly wrong.

It all depends upon the wraps.

Cheers
Stephen

#225 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

Or you could have the outer lead of each foursome slide out and allow the trailers in between the leaders, or the lead pair slide out and let the trailing pair move straight up, or even have the leads slide out with the outer trailer moving up and diagonally between them to split them as the inner trailer moves up to become the new centre.
<snip>
Cheers
Stephen

Stephen,

There is some interesting 'terminology' in what you are saying which could be very useful. The 'foursome' is clearly each of the four groups of four. The 'outer lead' is initially less clear but maybe I can assume that it is the 'outermost' kite of the overall square and that what you suggest is that those kites move outwards and take up the diagonal configuration with the other kites sliding into place. Is the 'inner trailer' referring to the four central kites?

Felix

#226 Stephen

Stephen
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

Stephen,

There is some interesting 'terminology' in what you are saying which could be very useful. The 'foursome' is clearly each of the four groups of four. The 'outer lead' is initially less clear but maybe I can assume that it is the 'outermost' kite of the overall square and that what you suggest is that those kites move outwards and take up the diagonal configuration with the other kites sliding into place. Is the 'inner trailer' referring to the four central kites?

Felix

Hi Felix,
Sorry this is the square dance caller coming out in me. In square dancing we have standardised terminology so that you can call or dance throughout the world using the same terminology.
In square dancing we tend to reduce formations into the smallest applicable subset for each figure.

In your formation I saw four identical groups of 4 each rotated 90 degrees to each other. I therefore reduced the choreography into one block of 4 and relied on the other blocks carrying out identical choreography. I saw

AABB
AABB
CCDD
CCDD

where each letter was a block of 4. Each member of each block is facing the same way therefore in the block there are two leaders (facing out of the block or away from the centre of the block) and two trailers (facing into the centre of the block). A leader and trailer are known as a tandem formation (like the bicycle). Using the VERY CENTRE (referring to the centre of the 16) as a reference point each block of 4 has a outer leader, an inner leader, an outer trailer and an inner trailer. Also you could say there is an outer tandem and an inner tandem.

3>1>..4..3
...........V..V
4>2>..2..1
...........V..V
..^..^<2<4
..^..^<1<3

Each block is

^..^
^..^
In each block 1&2 are leaders, 3&4 are trailers.
Relative to the centre of the 16 1&3 are the outer tandem, 2&4 are the inner tandem, 1 is an outer leader, 2 is an inner leader, 3 an outer trailer and 4 an inner trailer.

Trailers veer left or out would result in each block becoming 3412 and a line.
Put the trailers in would result in a 1342 line.
Leaders slide out trailers extend would result in a 1234 line

Sorry this is getting far too involved and my ascii art is rubbish but the points of ^><V are the noses or leading edges.^^ is two kites leading edge up

Cheers
Stephen

#227 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

Hi Felix,
<snip>
Sorry this is getting far too involved and my ascii art is rubbish but the points of ^><V are the noses or leading edges.^^ is two kites leading edge up
Cheers
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the explanation. It made perfect sense but we may not be able to take it all on immediately <grins>

Felix

#228 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

Today I did a bit revamping of the Super 16 Web Site at: http://gyraphicdesign.com/Super16
I hope you all like it.

The direction I am heading is to create many elements as .swf files that can be assembled together for one long routine.
This is feasible but will take some time.

Now refer to the ZigZag page.
An example is Item 1.2 "Zig Zag to Box Diamonds". This is one element. Another element would be the reverse of 1.2.
Item 1.2.1 "Box Diamonds to Gears" is an element that can fit between item 1.2 and the reverse of 1.2.

Item 1.1 is the element to setup for item 1.1.1
Item 1.1.1 could itself be broken up into two or more elements.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#229 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

I added in the first item for 2-Horizontal Line.
I have also played a bit with backgrounds.

Over the next days I don't expect to get much done.
It is not because of the holidays. It is because I have two other projects that I must work on.

If anyone has ideas, PLEASE sketch it out on paper and then scan it and send to us. It is much easier to decipher that then to try to decipher your ASCII text drawings.

#230 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Believe it or not I made some updates to the Super16 Website.

#231 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Believe it or not I made some updates to the Super16 Website.

Thank you for all your efforts.

I will avoid ascii attempts to describe ideas but how about the 4 diamonds or squares setting off 'in formation' diagonally or horizontally/vertically executing a cw/acw turn, moving around the outer perimeter one quarter and then tuning back in towards the centre with the possibility of 'hitting the grid' or passing through to the opposite perimeter <grins>

I thought of this as I was cycling home this evening...

Felix

#232 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

I will avoid ascii attempts to describe ideas but how about the 4 diamonds or squares setting off 'in formation' diagonally or horizontally/vertically executing a cw/acw turn, moving around the outer perimeter one quarter and then tuning back in towards the centre with the possibility of 'hitting the grid' or passing through to the opposite perimeter <grins>

Felix

What is nice about this project for me is that is fun and I am constantly learning.

Right now I am working on a big circle.
Then I am off to buy a 2TB external HD for $75(incl. tax) to backup all this work plus other things.
Then I will look into what you are describing.

#233 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:10 PM

Just Curious!
Is there any team members other then The Decorators and occasionally the Rev Riders and the Flying Squad watching this thread?

#234 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

John
There are a small group of us from essex keeping a close watch on this thread.We are not a team,just a small group of rev flyers who get together on a sunday,we have been called the Haven Flyers or the Rev Arrows,but have not flown as a group in the arena at a festival,YET!!
All the best

Daz

#235 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

John - Not a team flier yet, but I am watching this grow!!:) Hope to see this turn into something worthwhile!!:) Keep up the "good work"!!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#236 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

The first draft version of creating the ball from starting on the ground is now available at: http://gyraphicdesign.com/Super16
Select "7 - Ball"

#237 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

Felix

Sorry, I just don't get it.
I'm sure you must have a scanner. Could you make a couple quick sketches and scan them and send it. You already know my email address.

John

#238 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:13 PM

A suggestion for anyone who doesn't have a scanner. Put the sketch on the floor in good light and take a picture with a digital camera or cell phone. I use this technique all the time when I'm away from my scanner.

Edited by --Pete, 26 November 2010 - 09:14 PM.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#239 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

A Great thought! This also works fine.

I personally carry a camera about 80% of the time and have my cellphone(w/camera) with me 99% of the time.
I have been known to use a camera in class to copy what is on the white board.

#240 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

Sorry, I just don't get it.
I'm sure you must have a scanner. Could you make a couple quick sketches and scan them and send it. You already know my email address.

John

I have access to a scanner today!

I hope this helps <grins>

Felix

Attached Thumbnails

• 4squares.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users