• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The Pontificator

The Pontificator
  • Forum Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

You know who they are..... :o

These are the folks who have caused some beaches to ban or restrict stunt kite flying.

Well, I was witness to a group of Kite Yahoos yesterday at Pawley's Island.

It's a predictable scene:

The kite comes with the cheap plastic handles vs. a lineset and straps and they try to fly it by letting out about 20 feet of line. Probably a good thing because they're within 10 feet of sunbathers. :rolleyes:

The 'stance' is the predictable flying with arms outstreched in a giant "Y" formation. :lol:

Attempting to fly with no orientation as to where the wind is coming from. Remember, we're at the beach, folks. :unsure:

Little Kite Yahoo, Jr. is flying a $1 single line kite (actually doing better than Mr. and Mrs. Kite Yahoo) which eventually gets tangled in the stunt kite's lines.

Of course, there's lots of screaming and yelling. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was a noob once, too. I'm always happy to gently give a few pointers to help a new flyer on their way but Kite Yahoos are best avoided. The best you can hope for is that they'll crash it enough to eventually break it and that's the end of their involvement.

See you next summer, Kite Yahoos!!!! :P

#2 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

well it all depends on what typ of yahoo you are talking about .. it sounds like your pissed at the type of person that would fly a kite unsafely more then just the weekend tourest.. seeing the weekend family trying to fly a kiyte is what i like so i can get the oppertunity to teach them how to fly it good.. the types i dont like are the ones who know how big the wildwood beaches are but insist on flying near people when they have no clue on what they are doing and buzz their kite near people.. ive seen that alot and then people think that im the one doing it .. i do agree that this can cause a kite ban on the beaches in the future .. wildwood is so big that i dont think they will ban kites but they could put a restrction on how long and where to fly them.. my advise to you is to do what i do and if you see a yahoo kiter as you call them approch them and tell them to show respect for the beach and im sure they will .. it has worked for me ;)
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

You alwayse come across these Yahoos, and I alwayse try to get them to move to a safer location by saying that I want to give them some pointers. I take the handles, then ans I'm giving my helpful advise, I walk the kite to a safer spot. Once I am done "helping" them, I tell them "And be sure that you are a sefe flyer and don't fly near people." These people usually end up staying where I moved them, and are flying much better.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

Good on ya Spence, great attitude. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:19 AM

Thanks, I try.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

Watty, I hate to say it,but i don't think that would work at my beaches. Too many people who hink they know more then somebody who has been behind the lines for a while. I would have to say at times i can be an over concentious flyer, i'll search for large areas of empty beach most of the time, but there are times when you just can't do that. My approach with yahoo's (sometimes known as floggers by my local kite shop) is to ground myself, try and be nice and if that doesn't work, i just move out of the area for personal saftey. Sometimes it's best to get the heck out of dodge, nothing like a nose dive a foot away from one of your sides to either raise blood pressure, or activate self preservation. Some people just don't want to learn they just think they look cool trying to break something. And ofcourse they complain to the local kite store that the kite wasn't built right and try and get a new kite after they have damaged it almost beyond repair. Some people should either stay in the spectators area, or really just make an attempt to learn and try. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if your gonna be a danger to people in a real sense, then your going to get the fairly respectable kite flyers kicked off of the beach too.

#7 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:27 AM

Some people have very little sense. It really does not take too much to figure out that there is a potential for injury with any moving object. People think because there is no weight to a kite, that it would not hurt if they hit someone with it. These people need educated on what most of us could figure out. Remind people that these lines are 10xstronger than steel for their weight, and I exagerate a bit and say this line could cut a watermelon right in half attached to that kite. That usually gets them thinking a bit. By the time they figure I streached the truth a bit, they should be able to figure out why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users