31 replies to this topic

#21 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

Would it not be possible to trim the broken ferrules back in line with the ends of the rods. Then get new ferrules and glue them into the other ends? Or am I missing something obvious?

Must admit I have not taken the LE out of my Blasts so not sure of the set up on them.

#22 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

It doesn't look like the rod itself is damaged. I think they could be repaired if you want to try it.
First you would need to see if you can ram the remnants of the old ferrule out of the rod. You would need something solid and hard that fits the internal diameter of the rod that is at least a few inches longer then the rod. Wood is probably to soft. You would need to ram this rod inside and try to force the ferrule out.
If it works gets some new ferrules and glue them in with something like epoxy.
The alternative is to get a new set of rods.

I would try heating the ferrules. Get a short (1" or 2-3 cm) piece of steel rod that will JUST slip inside the ferrule. Drill a hole in the end to fit a smaller rod or stiff wire and drive the short piece onto the end of the wire.

Wrap the end of the rod tightly with a wet rag or push it through a wet sponge. Heat the piece of rod with a propane torch - not red hot but fairly hot. Slide it into and quickly back out of the ferrule. Repeat. Listen for the sizzle as the glue holding in the ferrule breaks down. (Not the hiss of water boiling - that means you got the outer spar too hot. The glue breaking down has a crackling sizzle. This is serious; don't overheat the spar you want to keep; that will wreck it.)

Then you should be able to drive the ferrule out with a rod that slips through the spar.

Finally, if you DO wreck the spar, you haven't lost. You would have had to replace it if you couldn't get the ferrule out.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#23 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Would it not be possible to trim the broken ferrules back in line with the ends of the rods. Then get new ferrules and glue them into the other ends? Or am I missing something obvious?

Must admit I have not taken the LE out of my Blasts so not sure of the set up on them.

I don't have a BLAST anymore. Seems to me the end caps fit inside the rods thus you would have to drive the old ferrule into rod some how.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#24 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

AH HE, John, you have seen the fatal error in my plan. Yep, you are right now I think about it. End caps inside the rods.

#25 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

AH HE, John, you have seen the fatal error in my plan. Yep, you are right now I think about it. End caps inside the rods.

As I see it, you only forgot to mention the last step.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#26 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

when you look at rods i see four ends in picture is the leading edge four rods or three like in all of my revs except rev 2 i dont understand unless person cut rods down for travel
Steve & Sherri

#27 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

when you look at rods i see four ends in picture is the leading edge four rods or three like in all of my revs except rev 2 i dont understand unless person cut rods down for travel

If I recall the BLAST correctly, there are three rods. The inner rod does not have ferrules. The two outer rods have single ferrules.

#28 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

If I recall the BLAST correctly, there are three rods. The inner rod does not have ferrules. The two outer rods have single ferrules.

I think the picture shows the ends of the two outer rods (with ferrule stubs inside) and the two broken off ferrule pieces.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#29 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hi Bear, how are you getting on with this? As Pete said, if you mess the Rods up you are no worse off than you are now.

Have you been able to ask the seller?

I do find it strange that bot ferrules gave up at the same time.

As it is a kite you are not used to difficult to say if you or the previous owner might have caused / contributed to the damage. However I think you mentioned you had flown Revs B4.

Let us know how you get on.

#30 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:30 PM

100% correct - 3 section leading edge with a single ferrule on each outer section ... the complete opposite of the 1.5 series.

#31 Bear

Bear
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:38 AM

Hi Guys

you are correct, the leading edge spar is in three parts, plain tube for the centre and the outers have one furrule each.

Have contacted previous owner who assures me it had no crashes or other abuse, he would say that though.

Lolly has however come to the rescue, I sent her an Email explaining the problem and asking if the spars were the correct ones for higher wind. She confirmed all was correct so maybe a problem with the manufacture of them, she had a shipment coming to the UK so has put in a replacement set at no cost, bless you Lolly and thank you.

On another point and from a previous Blast posting.

The tension in the top bridle is the opposite of my 1.5 SLE's which I think is right but wanted to check.

From the attached my bridle is the same except the 30" on the outside of the "W" is 28" on mine for both sides. Flew with the light weight spar over the weekend and all the tension on the top bridle is on the RED line with the "W" having none to the point it is loose on all 4 lines, the red line is much thicker that the "W" so I think this is fine but as I said, my 1.5 has all tension on the "W" and none on the equivalent of the red.

Can any blast flyers comment please.

Attached Thumbnails

• blast.jpg

#32 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

Not sure about your bridle question, I am afraid I just fly the heck out of mine once it is on the lines. Dont realy examine in detail.

As for the Rods, RESULT. Wow Lolly to the rescue once again. Way to go Rev. RESPECT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users