• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 olrac

olrac
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

Dear Forum,

Just thought I would check in & say hello.
I purchased a Rev EXP this week (arrives today!) & I will be out for my first flight experience later today.
The last kite I flew was a Peter Powell stunt kite in '76 - '77 when I was in the UK. Yes, what an old duffer!

After seeing a chap flying a smaller foil last week, I thought I would dip my head into the modern kite world. I was indeed blown away! I thought, yeah lets get a Rev Blast, but was advised that the EXP was a far better way to go for an essentially complete novice!

I'm located in Utah (Park City area)...are there any Rev fliers out here interested in meeting & helping me up the learning curve? Later this year I'm relocating to Portland, OR, which I believe is more of a Rev mecca?

Anyway, happy birthday John B!

Kind regards,

Paul.

#2 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:31 AM

Welcome to the addiction.... and welcome to the forum, you should have a blast with your EXP, it is the kite that sired my quadline obessions, so it should be a nice starter for you. if your having any issues i'm sure the forum can be very helpful with answers and tips.

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

Welcome olrac!

Congrats on the new kite, be sure to let me know when you're in town, eh?

iQuad is always on the hunt for new, local pilots.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:04 AM

Oh Yea..
Great First Rev my Friend..
Have a Great Time..

Jay Nunes

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#5 olrac

olrac
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:51 AM

Thank you all. I'm still waiting anxiously for the UPS truck to show.
Full report will follow later this weekend.

#6 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

Thank you all. I'm still waiting anxiously for the UPS truck to show.
Full report will follow later this weekend.

I hope the UPS truck shows up on time and that you have nice breezes for the weekend.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#7 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

[quote name='olrac' date='Jun 1 2007, 02:42 PM' post='4214']
Dear Forum,

Just thought I would check in & say hello.
I purchased a Rev EXP this week (arrives today!) & I will be out for my first flight experience later today.
The last kite I flew was a Peter Powell stunt kite in '76 - '77 when I was in the UK. Yes, what an old duffer!

After seeing a chap flying a smaller foil last week, I thought I would dip my head into the modern kite world. I was indeed blown away! I thought, yeah lets get a Rev Blast, but was advised that the EXP was a far better way to go for an essentially complete novice!

I'm located in Utah (Park City area)...are there any Rev fliers out here interested in meeting & helping me up the learning curve? Later this year I'm relocating to Portland, OR, which I believe is more of a Rev mecca?

Anyway, happy birthday John B!

Kind regards,

Paul.
Paul this is Ben and welcome to the Family and if Im at an event where you are come over and fly with me....Ben

#8 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:28 PM

paul you are about to enter a part of kite flying that you will never forget its the best my friend and you will love it .. best of luck my man
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#9 olrac

olrac
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for your kind repsonses. What a terrific forum!
The kite arrived, but the wind speed became proportional to the distance the UPS truck got to my house.
Not a breath was left to fly. I'm sulking indoors with a few glasses of wine practising my lark's head knots.

Kind regards,

Paul.

#10 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:21 PM

I feel your pain! Hopefully you will get some air time this weekend!

Hope to fly with you sometime Paul

Spence

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 olrac

olrac
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:19 PM

Hi there,

Wel I was able to take the EXP out for a few short bursts as the wind picked up a bit today. It proved pretty tricky dialing in my responses when the wind is only allowing 10 - 20 second flights. I'll probably need to buy the indoor Rev! I think I accidentally learnt some light/no wind tricks! However it was a lot of fun, and even my wife enjoyed flying the EXP.

O.K. So thanks for your encouragment (above)....I'm very happy with a few minutes of flight time under my belt! I can sense that I will no doubt become hooked!

Kind regards,

Paul.

#12 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:54 PM

Your winds are coming olrac, one thing I learned through kiting is, it takes patience. My first rev was an EXP and it is a geat kite for learning on. It is slow/graceful, forgiving, and flys in light wind. Use the DVD, and build your skills on it. Then when you get your next kite, your skills will astound you. For light winds, you could also consider a two wrap frame, fragile, but keep that in mind, and you will do OK, and try shorter lines. Did you see John B flying on 10' lines on the rev site? The rev family are the greatest and all it takes to get adopted is a desire to fly a kite. Welcome to the adventure, and I hope to meet you someday. :D

#13 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:59 PM

That's the way it happens!

I'll be at work and the breezes will look good. I check them at lunch, I watch the tree tops and flags on my ride home. I get to a flying field, set up the kite and all of a sudden it is dead calm. People look at me funny as I stand there, handles at the ready and no wind.

I fix it with a couple beers and hope for another day.

When the winds hit right I have a great time!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#14 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

a coupl of beers will help you forget a day with bad winds .. but the other cure is a rev indoor or makeing 4 pig tails like on an indoor for your 1.5 takeing off the bridle and flying it like that

#15 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:37 PM

You know Family I really feel for you cause I went out the wind was 8+ coming off the water and yes it was a great day and I was able to work on my axels that Steve from iQuad taught me and it was really looking good, and the weights on my B series really made a huge difference on how flat my spins were. I can tell the difference cause I did 20 without weights and the 20 with and the withs were flater for sure. Its funny for me cause I go out and keep doing the same thing over and over till I get it right, that way when I fly with those guys from iQuad I can play in there league { okay so what Im not in there league, hey at least Im having fun}, really Family those guys make me bring my A game. Life is good Family and I hope to see each and every one of you soon.........Ben B)

#16 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:23 AM

we love you ben.. rev would be lost without you thats for sure

#17 Hope4wind

Hope4wind
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:12 AM

Your winds are coming olrac, one thing I learned through kiting is, it takes patience.

I agree 100%!!!

I have always been more of a "right now" kind of person..........

But flying kites has taught me a ton of patience that I have never had before. You aren't in control of the wind, the wind is in control of the wind, and you are just along for the ride. Once I accepted that fact, I started having much more fun while kiting.

It has helped me in other areas of my life away from kiting as well.

#18 olrac

olrac
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

The winds have at last arrived..got an hour or so of flying in yesterday & tonight. Wow! What a lot of fun this is! I'm working my way through the standard exercises whilst concentrating on keeping my elbows in.... Definitely hooked. I love the dive - stop capability...Hope to post some photos for you soon.

Kind regards,

Paul.

#19 Steve de Rooy

Steve de Rooy

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

You know Family I really feel for you cause I went out the wind was 8+ coming off the water and yes it was a great day and I was able to work on my axels that Steve from iQuad taught me and it was really looking good, and the weights on my B series really made a huge difference on how flat my spins were. I can tell the difference cause I did 20 without weights and the 20 with and the withs were flater for sure. Its funny for me cause I go out and keep doing the same thing over and over till I get it right, that way when I fly with those guys from iQuad I can play in there league { okay so what Im not in there league, hey at least Im having fun}, really Family those guys make me bring my A game. Life is good Family and I hope to see each and every one of you soon.........Ben B)

I would like to say Ben, Thank you for everything ! You have done so much for me, and its always so much fun flying with you. Your axels where looking Great!!!!!! Cant wait to see and fly with you again.....Your Friend...And Brother....STeve D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users