#1 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:39 AM

Hi all

A little while ago a a pilot contacts the local kite shop and Rev agents about a problem with a Blast and they referred him to me. Turns out that somewhere in a small town in this country, there is a really nice 80 year old guy who has been flying kites for ages and has recently taken to flying a Blast. I don't know if I was more surprised, impressed or pleased .... Posted Image

Anyway, after a number of emails and photos (technology isn't the easiest thing to relate to for him), I got his bridle on right for him. Once that was sorted the Blast would no longer launch, so I had him check his lines. Turns out he had a cheap set of lines and had a good 7-8 inch stretch on the top lines. After equalising the lines and getting the lower bridle back on right (again) things went fine for a while.

The trouble now is that his lines are now breaking. I don't know the make or test strength of the lines, but he is going to need to get new lines. This is where I have a question for everyone, especially the UK pilots.

The question is this - with LPG, Shanti, etc not being available locally, would a set of Flexifoil power kite lines rated at 200kg/100kg (440# / 220#) work okay?
They are easily available here and much cheaper on the old guy's wallet. I know from flying my foils they can take at least 6 or 7 wraps without any problems and he will only be flying the Blast solo.

If the power kite lines are going to be a problem, is there anyone in the UK that would be able to assist. I did refer him to Theressa but he has a UK bank account and specifically wants to pay someone from there in the UK. I believe he has tried to contact The Flying Squad without any success.

I told him I'd put it out on the forum for him to see who can help.

Steven

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:13 AM

The power kite lines would be a bit overkill on strength, but will work just fine and even though they are not going to be quite as nice, will be a zillion times better than the cheap stuff he is flying on now.

#3 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hmmmm...just saw this....After I returned from the PO.....

You are awesome to help out this flyer with his Blast. :) Good job Steven!

#4 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hi Steven,

Your friend could order lines direct from a UK supplier here:

http://www.kiteworld...-Line-Sets.html

Or if he can't do that and he's really desperate, I'll see what I can do to help out.

All the best
Andy S.

Edited by Andy S., 29 September 2010 - 02:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users