Reviving a Rev 1 from early 90s

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AeroHeadTW

AeroHeadTW
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:55 AM

I recently took my blue and yellow Rev 1 from c. 1992 to Liberty State Park. I haven't flown it in 15 years or so; I think I assembled it properly (spars on back, black lines at bottom), but I couldn't keep it in the air. Most times it would go up a bit and u turn into the ground. A couple of times I got some alt and the kite flew over the top and glided forward upside down to crash with slack lines ( in fairly steady 10 mph wind).

I used to be able to fly passably and the line pairs seem to be ok length wise. I think I may have forgotten the mechanics of which way to tilt wrists; but I have lost directions and was puzzled by my lack of success.

Any advice appreciated.

Edited by AeroHeadTW, 28 September 2010 - 12:56 AM.

#2 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

There are lots of people from that part of our family that would be more than happy to help you out!!! The forum is a great place to ask questions, find new flying partners, in general anything Rev related!! Keep at it and you will get it!!! :)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

I recently took my blue and yellow Rev 1 from c. 1992 to Liberty State Park. I haven't flown it in 15 years or so; I think I assembled it properly (spars on back, black lines at bottom), but I couldn't keep it in the air. Most times it would go up a bit and u turn into the ground. A couple of times I got some alt and the kite flew over the top and glided forward upside down to crash with slack lines ( in fairly steady 10 mph wind).

I used to be able to fly passably and the line pairs seem to be ok length wise. I think I may have forgotten the mechanics of which way to tilt wrists; but I have lost directions and was puzzled by my lack of success.

Any advice appreciated.

As it has been a long time since you flew your REV I and it might be the early bridle version there are two things I can suggest to check real quick.
- Check that the down rods are on the back of the kite, not on the front like a two line stunt kite.
- Check the control line lengths. If you notice that two lines are about 7 inches longer then the other two lines and these are the original lines that came with that REV I then you have the older bridle. If I recall correctly the black sleeved lines are the lower line on both kite and handles and the white sleeved lines are the upper for both.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

As it has been a long time since you flew your REV I and it might be the early bridle version there are two things I can suggest to check real quick.
- Check that the down rods are on the back of the kite, not on the front like a two line stunt kite.
- Check the control line lengths. If you notice that two lines are about 7 inches longer then the other two lines and these are the original lines that came with that REV I then you have the older bridle. If I recall correctly the black sleeved lines are the lower line on both kite and handles and the white sleeved lines are the upper for both.

That's right what John said.  The Video that came with the kite had the classic line "black for bottom" (the longer lines go on the top, this is now replaced by pigtails - see below)

My Suggestion would be, contact Rev via this site and get an updated Rev 1 bridle and replace the old one, that way you can use all four lines the same length.

Then as John used to do add pig tails or Leaders as they are called these days.  Search on here there will be pictures.  I would suggest adding to the top of the handles only, and just keep moving the lines away from the Handles until it flys.

If you can contact a current flyer locally, that would help also.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

Just curious, was I the first one you saw flying with pig tails on the handles?
If so, where?
Scheveningen 1996
Le Touquet 1996
Hamm 1995
St. Moritz 1994
Vienna 1993

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#6 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

I am a huge fan of the Rev 1 , I would suggest installing a new "1" bridle also replace the old end caps (yours will probably have the metal inserts) . they weigh a ton. equal out those lines and it will fly like a new kite.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#7 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

Just curious, was I the first one you saw flying with pig tails on the handles?
If so, where?
Scheveningen 1996
Le Touquet 1996
Hamm 1995
St. Moritz 1994
Vienna 1993

That's a good question.

And to be honest I can't remember.  I was at the last 3 events... Judged you in each  :blue-grin:

I'm about to go and look at some old photos.

It takes me back to the old trick question???  I have video of a guy doing axles at least a year before anyone had thought of them ... Thing was we didn't know what he was doing and thought he was out of control.  I guess  a lot of these thing several people were doing them at the same time.

What were they doing in Japan?  I know I replaced my clips with larksheads very early on, but that was because I was a dual line flyer and we didn't use clips. Also, I changed my bridle on My Rev 1 so I could switch top and bottom lines.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

That's a good question.

And to be honest I can't remember.  I was at the last 3 events... Judged you in each  :blue-grin:

I'm about to go and look at some old photos.

It takes me back to the old trick question???  I have video of a guy doing axles at least a year before anyone had thought of them ... Thing was we didn't know what he was doing and thought he was out of control.  I guess  a lot of these thing several people were doing them at the same time.

What were they doing in Japan?  I know I replaced my clips with larksheads very early on, but that was because I was a dual line flyer and we didn't use clips. Also, I changed my bridle on My Rev 1 so I could switch top and bottom lines.

When I bought my REV II in 1991 I found the lines would not work with my REV I and vice versa. I altered the REV I bridle with a 6 or 7 inch pig tail and equalized the lines of my REV I. In 1992 I got a REV I SUL which had equal length lines. I copied the bridle and put it on my first REV I. Seems to me that REV I SUL also had clips on the lines which I know I had taken off rather early and replaced with larks heads.

I know I was playing with the axel in the summer or fall of 1993 and I was showing off with it at the Vienna Spring Kite Festival 1994 with a vented REV I which was a pink copy, made by Ronnie Schrabmeir, of my 1993 yellow vent I created the previous summer. My start into axels was probably influenced by Carl at the Vienna Eurocup where he was spinning a dual-liner around. There was no quad event there.

#9 AeroHeadTW

AeroHeadTW
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

Wow, thanks to all for the speedy replies.

Yes, my rev 1 must have the early bridle-- the lines are different lengths top and bottom.

I put the black lines on the bottom and the spars to the backside of the sail when I tried to fly it without any success. It does have metal lined end caps on the main spar. The lines seemed pretty much the same length pair to pair-- so I'm still not sure what I was doing wrong. Perhaps I was cross controlling; if the kite was turning right and climbing which way should I move my wrist to steer it back to straight? Sorry to be so dense, but after so many years, plus I didn't find a video with this simplest of steps ( good stuff on hovering etc)and I'm back to the d'oh level?

Thanks again
PS-anybody fly at Liberty State Park in NJ?

#10 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

Looks like you will be in luck there as there are a number of fliers flying at Liberty State Park.
They should be responding soon.
They will surely give you a helping hand and have you flying in no time.

#11 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

hey Brada Mon!
Welcome to the jersey crew home ground. There are lots of people who fly there and its a great stop to learn. i my self fly there with a bunch of rev heads , Rich, laura, Al, Steve, ect the list goes on.
We are there almost every weekend if not there then at Belmar beach.

If you have any questions about anything dont hesitate to pm any of us.
RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#12 AeroHeadTW

AeroHeadTW
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

What part of the park do people usually fly at--I used to fly at the SE area near the monument (it looks like there are a lot of newly planted trees along the central lawn area now)?

Likely most people fly on the weekend,--back in the day I used to stop by during the week after work.

#13 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

What part of the park do people usually fly at--I used to fly at the SE area near the monument (it looks like there are a lot of newly planted trees along the central lawn area now)?

Likely most people fly on the weekend,--back in the day I used to stop by during the week after work.

We fly by the jungle gym area with the bathroom. you make that first left on freedom way ( i think that is what its called) when sunset is later in the day we will fly during the week also!
RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#14 AeroHeadTW

AeroHeadTW
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

We fly by the jungle gym area with the bathroom. you make that first left on freedom way ( i think that is what its called) when sunset is later in the day we will fly during the week also!

I think I see the playground area on Google Earth--there appears to be a bunch of clear areas to the south and one smaller area to the north.

#15 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

Wow, thanks to all for the speedy replies.

Yes, my rev 1 must have the early bridle-- the lines are different lengths top and bottom.

I put the black lines on the bottom and the spars to the backside of the sail when I tried to fly it without any success.  It does have metal lined end caps on the main spar.  The lines seemed pretty much the same length pair to pair-- so I'm still not sure what I was doing wrong.  Perhaps I was cross controlling; if the kite was turning right and climbing which way should I move my wrist to steer it back to straight?  Sorry to be so dense, but after so many years, plus I didn't find a video with this simplest of steps ( good stuff on hovering etc)and I'm back to the d'oh level?

Thanks again

Try this video..

My link

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#16 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

When I bought my REV II in 1991 I found the lines would not work with my REV I and vice versa. I altered the REV I bridle with a 6 or 7 inch pig tail and equalized the lines of my REV I. In 1992 I got a REV I SUL which had equal length lines. I copied the bridle and put it on my first REV I. Seems to me that REV I SUL also had clips on the lines which I know I had taken off rather early and replaced with larks heads.

I know I was playing with the axel in the summer or fall of 1993 and I was showing off with it at the Vienna Spring Kite Festival 1994 with a vented REV I which was a pink copy, made by Ronnie Schrabmeir, of my 1993 yellow vent I created the previous summer. My start into axels was probably influenced by Carl at the Vienna Eurocup where he was spinning a dual-liner around. There was no quad event there.

Wow John, I wasn't even thinking of the Rev Axle, but again good point.  I would think with the Vented, it would have been a natural step.

BTW the Dual Line Axle kind of came in in late 93/94.  93 World Cup was at Berkley and no one was doing axles at that time. By Le Touquet World Cup they were doing Axles - I recall Andy Preston in the car park over by the Aqualud throwing axles.  So I would have guessed Rev axle not until 95 ?

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#17 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:30 PM

Dual line axel came about in Fall of 1992, in Berkeley CA...

Wasn't common place until late 1993, only a few of us knew it.

A Bay Area local, Steve Thomas invented the dual line axel. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#18 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

That's interesting!! I still fly an Andy Preston designed Stranger by HQ!! :):) I used to think about a new kite to replace it in my bag, but never found the limits of what it could do!! One of the best older kites out there!!:):)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users