wHind cHecks Har4 wHimps

#62 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

I know it's winter coming on, but have you had any luck with all the suggestions made so far??!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#63 Rigster

Rigster
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:30 PM

Hi Wayne - I can't remember the programme but the quote goes "If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck". When it comes to the weather/ work/ daylight I've had a bad combination for the last 3 weeks. I know some people on here will fly in the dark, when raining or in a gale but my skill level doesn't let me I'm afraid to say ... As you rightly say I have quite a few things to try out - I'll certainly pop up again as soon as I've had chance to try some of them ... Oregon is at a slightly lower latitude than where I live - are you still getting some decent daylength?

#64 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

I'm a fair weather flyer too, but if you can find some evening wind before it gets too dark that is usually a nice wind to fly in. I've been going out directly after work and I may get 45 minutes in the air but that is still 45 minutes for having fun and doing some practice.

Unfortunately I just managed to get decent weather (not freezing cold or hurricane winds or zero wind) in the last 45 days since spring and summer were pretty much a write-off, but I've made up some hours this fall. It all adds up, trust me.

Bart

P.S. once you get more of the basics under your belt a few little LED lights and you'll find night flying is a lot of fun and really not that bad for taking things down with minimal light.

#65 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

Rigster, I also recommend LE down... It's easy enough to turn over, and dead stable (safe) when parked that way.

Same as shown around 6:00 and near the end here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuw3vBD50hs"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Cuw3vBD50hs[/url]

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#66 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

Just went off of Daylight Savings Time over here!! :kid_brooding: And the rain has started to come down too regularly!! :kid_cussing: Still, if the day and weather cooperate, I'm flying!! :) Show was "HEE HAW"!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#67 Rigster

Rigster
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

We just lost BST (Daylight savings) as well - really knackers the end of the day flying after work. When you drive to work in the dark & home again in the dark it makes your flying time window quite small doesn't it? We don't get that show Wayne - it must have ben "Born under a bad sign" that I'm thinking of.
I'm chomping at the bit to get out & give it another go but it's weekends only now ... thanks all for the encouragement.

#68 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

Wasn't that a lyric from an old Cream song??!!:blue-music:

wayne from portland

AKA member

#69 Rigster

Rigster
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

It is - well spotted - it contains the line I mentioned earlier about bad luck ...

#70 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

I first heard the phrase "If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all," or something like it, in blues recordings from the '20s and '30s, so it's been around awhile.

Born Under a Bad Sign (which includes the phrase) was written by Jones and Bell and was first recorded by Albert King in 1967. Jones is Booker T. Jones of Booker T and the M.G.s. It's been covered by nearly 30 groups and individuals including Cream. Good song, BTW. Thanks for reminding me of it. Posted Image
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#71 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

Thanks Pete for the music info!! :blue-grin: Rigster- I'm a color coordinated fool!! I mark my handles, red and black, my lines, left - black, right - red, and even use those colors to identify tops and bottoms - tops just a little color on knots, bottoms - color all over the sleeving!! :kid_content: It keeps me straight on setup with which lines go where, and I've had little trouble! :) I know others think this may be excessive, but it keeps me straight!! And I'd rather be flying than fiddling anytime!! :)

wayne from portland

AKA member

#72 Rigster

Rigster
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

--Pete - you're a good man to have around in a pub quiz. I had no idea the song had such a long history - I'll check out the earlier recordings if I can find some.

I'm going to colour up the handles Wayne but I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that it was a good idea to swap the lines around so that they stretch evenly? Have I misunderstood?

#73 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:33 AM

Pub Quiz -- do you think they would consider it cheating if I was looking up things online?

I found most of that (except my memory of the old blues songs) by finding the song on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia....nder_a_bad_sign

Fr'instance, I had no idea it was written by Booker T. until I looked it up. I DID know it was an Albert King song, but not that he was the first.

=========
On line identification; you don't think it's more of a challenge to hook up the lines randomly and then see whether you can fly it? Posted Image
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#74 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

NO, I have had a stroke - hence my screen name- and color coding the lines keeps things straighter for me!! :kid_brooding: If the lines are stretched well, then they shouldn't need to be constantly checked. Fly 'em, check 'em, use 'em! :kid_smartass: It is a good practice to check them once in a while, but you don't need to check every time! :kid_content: Unless you feel that something is way off!!! :P ENJOY!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#75 Guest_plod38_*

Guest_plod38_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

I wish I could have a flying zone like yours bud, although did do a little flying up at Ainsdale last friday, as my job as a courier takes me about a bit.

Have to make do with an old land fill site, but it does have nice clean winds most of the time

Only just started flying myself, in last few weeks, and have 3 revs already lol

Have managed to break a spar, but think I must of not inserted it correctly.

Luckily there is a "Better Flying Day" in 4 weeks time, so hoping to learn plenty that day.

#76 Rigster

Rigster
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

--Pete - I'd love to colour code all my lines to make sure that I get the same one at the same corner each time - I just had a recollection of someone on one of the tutorials saying that it was a good idea to swap the left & right lines occasionally. I didn't mean the uppers & lowers, just left & right. I must have misunderstood it I guess. I wouldn't have believed it would make much difference unless you only fly on one side of the wind envelope or use really cheap lines?

Hi Plod38 - a guy on here - pudsli, has experience of the Ainsdale beach & like everyone on here is very helpful as I'm guessing you've already found. I may have a nice beach to fly on but you seem to have the funds - 3 revs already?! What is a "Better flying day" by the way?

#77 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:49 PM

Rigster - I would go back and check that post. If you have your handles set up to use 4 identical lines, then I would expect the top vs. bottom to be the logical swap. Those are the places that get different amounts of long-term tension. OTOH, if you take my (tongue-in-cheek) suggestion, you would spread the tension-over-time equally over all 4 lines. (Imagine not having the slightest idea how the kite will react when you pull on the lower-left handle. What fun!)

SV - the suggestion was all in fun. I have enough trouble when things are hooked up conventionally.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#78 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

Hi Plod38 and welcome. Another UK'er, and already hooked with multiple Revs. The better flying days I have been to were mainly dualies. However there were a couple of folks with Revs.

Rigster, better flying days are held / organised by STACK UK (and may be done by others I am not sure) normally a get together of experienced flyers down to novice, and all help each other out to try to fly better.

Pete, a "friend" wound my lines for me and swapped the two bottom lines when larksheading them to be packed away. Took me a while to sort it out next time I used the lines. Was quite interesting though. In a OMG type of way.

#79 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

Baloo: Just to keep things "simple", I'll have to see if it is possible for me to fly with swapped brake (lower) lines. Maybe it will teach me to keep quiet, even as a joke, about swapping lines.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#80 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

B sure to let me know how you get on. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users