Photo

Do you fly for yourself, or the crowd???

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hope4wind

Hope4wind
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:47 PM

I have found that almost always while flying my Rev, people stop and watch for a while. Last week I found myself in the zone and it was just me and the kite. I was flying it better than ever before and doing some things with it that I have only seen on videos......... :lol:

But then, I realized that I had drawn a crowd of about 6 people watching me fly. I fell out of my zone and started flying for them as opposed to myself. The next thing I know, I'm back to my normal skill level and just kind of going through my normal routine that I do when I'm not in the zone. The crowd soon dispersed because I'm sure they got bored watching me just going through the motions. :rolleyes:

So do you fly for yoursevelves, or the crowd that inevitably gathers? How do you tune them out and just do your own thing?

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:34 AM

I kind of fly for both. I like the satisfaction of doing a kewl trick, but I'm also a bit of an attention wench. Sometimes I like to play around with peoples little toys (if they are not using them). I love to push around the little soccer balls that lil kids play with, and to land awkwardly (I spelt that wrong) on larger things.

If I don't feel like pleasing people at the moment, I alwayse have my MP3 player with me, then I just listen to that and play to the music.

I take that back, I'm a big attention wench. I fly kites for people, juggle for people, and act for people!

The zone is alwayse AWESOME!
-Spence

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

GREAT post Joe... Excellent topic. ;)

The key to the whole thing for me, the crowds stop to watch when I'm in the "zone" (as you described)... So when I see them gathering, I stick to my guns... Create a mini-bubble around yourself mentally, inside of which is the space you had before the spectators arrived.

As you become more accomplished, you'll be able to maintain this "cool" even while expanding your show to further excite onlookers.

Does that make any sense? It's kind of tough for me to explain.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

I know what you mean John. It's like being on a stage talking to an audience. Instead of looking at them you look past them. Basically, you just don't acknowlage that they are there. That's where my music comes in!

Spence "Watty" Watson

#5 The Pontificator

The Pontificator
  • Forum Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

Both.

And when somone comes up and starts asking some serious questions as in they want to get into kiting it makes it all the more worthwhile. :lol:

#6 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

Well, I tend to work both sides of the coin, it'stwo much fun to mess with people, in a friendly way. Also that fearless feeling you can get while your the only one on the field with your music running and just doing your thing to your limits without the concern of safety of people is another thing totally. though i work more on precision when i'm messing with people and trying to work the crowd.

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

i do it for both depending on what mood in in the day i go out sometimes i like to fly in places deep inland i have a few spots whew noone could vevr find or even think to fly a kite there but that is usually off season when everything is all closed up in the summer months i am always on the beaches trying my best to put on a 1 man show ;)
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:15 AM

Seams like it's both for most of us.

It's definitely both for me.. I love that Zone feeling. You don't notice people watching and I hear them talking among themselves and it snaps me out of it. Then I, like most of us, Pullout every trick I have. The Fast down to a Stop seams to be the crowd Favorite along with reverse hover along the sand.

Next, I always hand them my Kite if they want it. It surprises me how many people say no. Not the kids of course they jump right in and fly with no inhibitions. Its the adults who do try it are scared to break it.. I just tell then its almost imposable to break and the shoulders come down and they start to have fun with it.. That's the best right there..

Jay Nunes

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#9 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:29 AM

I've gotta agree w/Jay

Being in the zone until interupted, then turning the handles over to someone who assumes they couldn't possibly do it, or worse
what if they were to break it!
I've told people
~ I just bought it tuesday,.... it's so easy to do, please try it!

Or my personal favorite,
~ it ain't even mine, who cares if you break it!

They smile and get a confident attitude, after a couple of quick pointers they are flying all by themselves.

Kids are the best, until that tough question comes out.
"hey mister Paul, my mom wants to know how much is a kite like this?" I don't even want to answer!
They are such a deal for the lifetime of pleasure you will obtain. Why not join our club and fly our stuff for a whole year. By then you'll know exactly what you want and the cost will seem inconsequential. Heck you might even build your own, if you want to join us for a workshop. Otherwise call the factory have some utterly fantastic creation crafted exactly to your needs in the colors and framing of your choice.

#10 Sherman Myers

Sherman Myers
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:57 PM

I fly for me!

But I enjoy seeing people watch and smile. :D
Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:40 AM

A favorite of mine when people want to try it... I crash as hard as I can and then say "I already did it, now you don't have to worry!" ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#12 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:47 AM

That's a good one!

Spence "Watty" Watson

#13 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:40 AM

Wow john, i thought i was one ofthe few people crazy enough to use that line. That is how igot one ofmy friends and a few kiteflyers from the local kite store into different kites, I'd let them watch me fly one of my kites, and do some things that aren't the nicest too them to show that yes there fairly durable, and then hand the handles of. i tend to tell them my nicer kites are my "beater" kites anyway, cause i'm gonna beat them upone way or another trying new stuff, and failing only to try it again untili get it right.. Kites aren't cheap, but they can get fixed from most minor things, no need to worry that much. ( if you do then you quit having fun with them.... no if i could only learn how to make decent linset myself.. )

#14 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

What a great topic, and for me it's both also but my best flying is when I'm alone and the music is on and that bubble is around me and I'm in my own little world, Cory Jenson calls it kite chee I call it the zone. Being that I do alot of lessons theres really two parts to it all for me, 1. being when I teach someone how to fly and they go thru alll the stuff we all do and then the light goes on and they get it and there flying and that big smile appears on there face. 2. When I'm out there and there just me and my kite and my music and life is real good and 9 times out of 10 when I put the handles down theres a crowd behind me who have enjoyed the show as much as me and part of that is because of where I fly at Sea Port Village in S.D., but I get a kick out of both of these. You know Family for me as a flier and as a part of the company I get a chance to share my joy with others in two ways and these are watching me and then teaching them and they both make me smile and the thing that really makes me smile is when I'm someplace and then another kite comes over a joins me and when I look over it's someone I've taught to fly and for me that makes it all worth while........Ben B)

#15 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

I fly for me, and I seek uncrowded places to fly. I lke to show off too, and I am always eager to answer questions, or teach someone, but even when people are around, they are into their own thing. Seems most people are not as friendly as most kiters are, but I figure that is because they are not kiting. I know I am happier since I took up this hobby, This is soooo much fun. I am still flying (in my mind) from last evening.

#16 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

I know what you mean. Ever since I started flying. I got a lot more laid back. Now whenever I'm listening to music, I'm thinking of what I could do with a kite to the music. Occasionally people wil see me listening to music, my eyes are closed, and my hands look like they're controlling a rev or a duel line kite!

Spence "Watty" Watson

#17 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

For me, it's both. Lynn has always flown for herself. She would sit and talk with friends rather than fly with others present. Since we started flying together, it's a different ball game. She always flys right next to me. Crowd or no crowd, and if someone wants to chat with Lynn, they better get out their Rev and get in line.

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users