67 replies to this topic

#61 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

@ SkyPuppet, I think you may be right, we may both be more influenced by superstition tand habit than actual Science. But hay if it ain't bust don't fix it.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#62 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

In my opinion, limp leaders will snag more often than stiff ones. Imagine your leaders were sticks, can't snag.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#63 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

I make leaders out of 80# black Dacron. I fold a long piece in half, thread a needle on one end, insert the needle about an inch past the fold/crease line, and fish the needle all the through to the cut end, leaving a 1" loop at the fold/crease end. Now you have a single length, with a clean loop at the top, to lark's head attach to the handle. Now just add your knots at whatever spacing interval you prefer. Some folks like 1/2", 3/4" or an inch apart.

#64 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

I make leaders out of 80# black Dacron. I fold a long piece in half, thread a needle on one end, insert the needle about an inch past the fold/crease line, and fish the needle all the through to the cut end, leaving a 1" loop at the fold/crease end. Now you have a single length, with a clean loop at the top, to lark's head attach to the handle. Now just add your knots at whatever spacing interval you prefer. Some folks like 1/2", 3/4" or an inch apart.

I'm pretty sure I'm understanding here... could you provide a pic please? I want to try this! Sounds very tidy.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#65 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

I'm pretty sure I'm understanding here... could you provide a pic please? I want to try this! Sounds very tidy.

I'll try and add some tomorrow :)

#66 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:53 AM

In my opinion, limp leaders will snag more often than stiff ones. Imagine your leaders were sticks, can't snag.

I think it's okay to droop down, what doesn't work are various thicknesses and knots in each material.  When in doubt about possibly snagging I prefer a no-sleeving flying line solution with leaders of 100# hi-test bridle line, (folded in half and the knots in only one of those two strands)  The top leader should ALMOST reach the bottom attachment point on the handle, all adjustments are made on the bottoms only, so that the top leaders remain a uniform length (muscle memory for 3D flying).  YMMV but for me, experience has driven me to this solution.  I've had every kind of error and tangle possible, particularly when it mattered the most!

#67 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

To keep my leaders flexible, I tie less knots in the tops... On the tops the knots are every 5/8" (or so). I've tied 3 knots total on the bottom leaders, in 1/4" (or so!) increments, so I can do half-step adjustments forwards or backwards from the center knot. Using this setup, I tie quite a few less knots on the top leaders than if I did them every 1/4", and they stay wet-noodle flexible- on sleeveless lines, I haven't snagged on any component of my lines/handles for a long time now. At the kite end its a different story...

As always, so cool to hear that it all works, and we can all have our own spin on it.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#68 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:51 PM

Hmmmm...having trouble posting a picture. Sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users