#1 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

Hi all

I'm attaching pictures with measurements of the leaders I currently fly with so I can get some thoughts and comments...

I have marked the knots I fly on outdoors 99% of the time with a lime green dot. I fly a B series (vented and non) on these 2 knots depending on the wind. I've only just got the Zen so don't have a setting for that yet.

I've always got the impression that I should be shooting for an even bigger differential, but I've also had someone say I should make a slightly longer bottom leader for the handles (no snags) that I have - which would reduce the differential.

On a final note, I fly indoors with thes on the very last knots top and bottom and the bottom lines on the knot closest to the kite on the indoor rev.

So what say you .... do I need to increase the differential, am I in the ball park or have I overshot the mark?

Thoughts .... comments .... smutty remarks ..... all welcome Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1115.JPG
  • IMG_1116.JPG
  • IMG_1117.JPG

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

Hi all

I'm attaching pictures with measurements of the leaders I currently fly with so I can get some thoughts and comments...

I have marked the knots I fly on outdoors 99% of the time with a lime green dot. I fly a B series (vented and non) on these 2 knots depending on the wind. I've only just got the Zen so don't have a setting for that yet.

I've always got the impression that I should be shooting for an even bigger differential, but I've also had someone say I should make a slightly longer bottom leader for the handles (no snags) that I have - which would reduce the differential.

On a final note, I fly indoors with thes on the very last knots top and bottom and the bottom lines on the knot closest to the kite on the indoor rev.

So what say you .... do I need to increase the differential, am I in the ball park or have I overshot the mark?

Thoughts .... comments .... smutty remarks ..... all welcome Posted Image

I would say try it out and see if you like it as is. If you do leave it that way.
My personal preference is a longer bottom pig tail. Most others, I think, prefer a shorter bottom pig tail.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

I haven't measured mine lately.... or the leaders either... Posted Image but I would say my top ones are very close to what you have there the majority of the time.

I fiddle with the top lines a lot trying to get a feeling for what I like vs. what kite and what kind of wind, but I usually never touch the bottom ones.

I've had the bottoms on the factory leaders both near and far from the handles and have not noticed a lot of difference. Lately I've had the bottoms on the farthest knot out.

But really, it doesn't matter. What feels right to you? I think you are over thinking it a bit just like I tend to do so I can say that! Posted Image

Bart

Edited by bartman, 23 September 2010 - 01:07 PM.

#4 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

Steven - If it works for you, GO for it!! I've gotten away with tying an extra knot in the factory bottom pigtail and made my own top leaders!! I've used the Stone in Shoe Bob method for making my handles cleaner, and it looks to me like you're in the ballpark when it comes to adjustments! :) Remember, there is no right or wrong way!! Do what works for you!!! It's all about feel, how you get it isn't as important as developing "THE FEEL"!! :w00t: KEEP FLYING!!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#5 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

If I remember right, our iQuad leaders are 8" or 9" on top and just 2" or 3" on the bottom, sounds like you're in the same range.

The million dollar question, how does it feel? :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

JB - I agree totally!! Friends have tried my kites and think - How does he make this fly!!?? Others think too much forward and not enough brake!!! Who's "right"??!! The guy who's flying at that time!!:kid_smartass: I agree that going in the general direction of neutral handles is the way to go, but everyone has his/her own way of getting there!!! :)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

With your setup, can you hold a hover? Can you go at a steady speed while flying a figure 8?
When you get a little gust, does your kite want to jump way forward, or does it hold its place?
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:37 PM

Of course, a great deal of the factor here is how we hold our handles in flight, and how we manipulate the handle angle with our hands/fingers... A lot of different styles there too.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

Whoa! What a coincidence I was just having this conversation with a fellow today! My two cents, I think your bottom leaders should be slightly longer. I use the outer most knot (or equivalent) of standard B leaders. Seems to iliminate tip flips for the most part. Good luck, keep flying and rememberů
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#10 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

I started off with a second hand Rev 1 and an EXP. Came with all the standard stuff and just the short pigtails.

Then the threads came up talking about adding brake into the setup, no way I thought, how can you possibly fly like that.

Then I got my first B and started using the longer top pigtails. Took a while to get used to it. Then I found I was taking out the knots nearest to the handles to get even more brake into the steup.

Noe my top leaders are as long as the gap between the handle ends, however I rarely use the last knot. And my bottoms are possibly a bit longer than yours.

If anyone has not tried making up leaders to tune more brake into thier setup it is well worth trying. Give it a good try though. It takes a while to get used to.

I would go with the folks that are saying "if it feels right the do it" (as long as it is safe and not against the law of course)

The big sercret in case you dont know it yet, just go out there and enjoy yourself.

#11 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

The smutty comment award goes to Bart ... The most specific award goes to Mike for trying to describe the "feel" that everyone refers to.

Does my setup feel good ... I'm not sure I can yet recognise the desirable characteristics of a good feel. I can hold a hover and in gusts it does want to surge, but gets caught pretty easy - enough to count as a messy hover and not loss of control.

The harder one for me is in lighter wind - how much do I adjust the tops closer in (or do I leave them) and what feel am I looking for?

Steven

#12 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

Only thing I would add is its always interesting to pick up other peoples handles once in a while (I know thats not that easy for you!) .... what I found was that you get used to a certain setup/balance point and tend to shuffle your hands up or down the handles to the point your comfortable with whatever the leader/handle setup ..

I 'ribbed' my handles to suit my podgy little chipolatas, effectively 'locking' my hands at the top of the handles which suits me because I like to have my thumb on the tip but others who try them prefer to be free to move their hands more or a lower position

I've actually taken the bottom leaders off my handles completely now and attached the lines directly to them (needs longer loops to pass the handle through) on the basis it was one less knot to catch on and I never adjust them plus the top leaders can then be shorter and I never change lines as I have 4 sets of handles lines setup ready to go anyway ...

Attached Thumbnails

• shaped.jpg

#13 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:08 AM

My hands tend to wander up and down the foam, so Jonesey's ribbed (for his pleasure) handles wouldn't suit me at all.

(vying for 2nd place smutty comment)

Steven, just speaking for my squad, we do not pull the tops in for lighter winds (spilling more air), we stay with the same settings (flat sail = more pressure).

Only in the very highest winds do we let the tops out yet another knot to keep the kites controllable.

John Barresi

#14 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:09 AM

I accept that award on behalf of all the guys out there that thought it, but didn't say it! JB's comment, though, is right up there! Kite Cowboy suggested privately that I must have been comparing to the short bottom leaders. He's no angel either it appears.

With any luck I'm going to be getting quality and quantity time flying over the next four days and plan to experiment with the bottom leaders a bit more. Maybe some of my issues with reverse stuff can be fixed with bottom leader tweaking.

Bart

Edited by bartman, 24 September 2010 - 09:34 AM.

#15 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for that ... I'd rather have 5 different specifics (with reasoning) than 100 unified "there is no one true way, use the force" type answers - it gives me 5 things to try out :)

Does iQuad always fly on the same knot, or is the knot set based on conditions?

#16 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:23 AM

This seems like a good time to ask. Define sail pressure vs. wind in the sail. If you know what I mean. Both you and Terry W. had this thing going at WSIKF when you did some adjusting on my leaders and Terry tried to explain it to me as well, but try as I might in a low wind with the top lines out I can't stay in the air. I have a tad bit more success with less brake in those situations, but overall not much going on in low wind.

Seems to me that you can have all sorts of pressure in low wind, but if it can't fly forwards without my wrists twisted backwards to the breaking point what good is it?

Bart

My hands tend to wander up and down the foam, so Jonesey's ribbed (for his pleasure) handles wouldn't suit me at all.

(vying for 2nd place smutty comment)

Steven, just speaking for my squad, we do not pull the tops in for lighter winds (spilling more air), we stay with the same settings (flat sail = more pressure).

Only in the very highest winds do we let the tops out yet another knot to keep the kites controllable.

#17 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

Steven - Sorry to have been one of those "force" type answers!! Try all your settings in different wind conditions and use the ones that you like the best! There is no standard setting that works for everyone, is what I'm getting out of this!! Because there's so much variety in length of leader, knot distance, position of hands on handles, etc, etc, there is no one perfect setting!! That's the beauty of this, what works for you may not be what I like at all!! It sounds like the goal is control!!! As long as you can comfortably control the kite and figure out new moves, then have at it!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#18 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

Does iQuad always fly on the same knot, or is the knot set based on conditions?

Steve (de Rooy) and I fly on the same knot pretty much all the time... The rest of our teammates float back and forth between a couple knots, but are still "tops out" quite a bit.

This seems like a good time to ask. Define sail pressure vs. wind in the sail. If you know what I mean. Both you and Terry W. had this thing going at WSIKF when you did some adjusting on my leaders and Terry tried to explain it to me as well, but try as I might in a low wind with the top lines out I can't stay in the air. I have a tad bit more success with less brake in those situations, but overall not much going on in low wind.

Simply, tops out (pressure setting) requires more consistent tension, knowing and feeling when the kite needs tension (backwards) or you can give back (reach forward)... Also playing into this is the initiating "pop" to get going, and keeping your inertia under control so the kite doesn't stall.

It's a fine touch, but when you get it, OMG. :)

You can pull the tops in to make the kite loft and fly forward easier, but it gets "light on the lines", drives me nuts, no power in the core.

John Barresi

#19 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:34 AM

Steven - Sorry to have been one of those "force" type answers!! Try all your settings in different wind conditions and use the ones that you like the best! There is no standard setting that works for everyone, is what I'm getting out of this!! Because there's so much variety in length of leader, knot distance, position of hands on handles, etc, etc, there is no one perfect setting!! That's the beauty of this, what works for you may not be what I like at all!! It sounds like the goal is control!!! As long as you can comfortably control the kite and figure out new moves, then have at it!!

LOL ... You just went from "use the force" to "try everything" Posted Image

I agree, but having a few very specific 'good' starting points is useful to eliminate some not so good choices. My point was that new people are asking questions because they don't know the answer. Every possible combination it too time consuming and no fun, use the force is too vague, and whatever feels right is useless because everything feels hard to begin with because it's new.

I like what JB did in his last reply in that he stated the what him and SdR use. He then followed up by saying what you can do to get more forward drive if you want, but stated why it is that HE doesn't like it.

He gave a few sets of specifics, said how you can change it to trade one thing for another and also why he himself doesn't use it. With that, a new person could try a setting close to JB, if they struggle they could then move it as he stated. If they don't mind the trade off they have still been following solid advice all the way. If they find the same dislike that JB has, then they know they should suck it up and go back to the previous setting.

All this said, all this is eliminated with hands on time with an expert. One thing that stands out in my mind about Barts WSKIF megafly video was when JB called out that someone may have an easier time by moving their hands down the handles a fraction. This is someone who is reading the signs and suggesting corrections based off of that ... something really hard to do without physical interaction. We would have to start posting pics and video in an effort to help in that regard. I think I may post a few pics of me flying yesterday so that my hand position can be seen.

As I get more skilled, so the more vague answers and theories will hold more value to me. But I appreciate all the efforts none the less .... :)

More to come

#20 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:09 AM

Photos on me flying yesterday on these leaders using the further out of the 2 knots listed in the pictures.

Wind was around the 15mph mark with occasional drops as low as 8mph and frequent gusts above 18mph. The drop offs were very infrequent, but the wind was mostly around the 15mph mark. I was flying a full vent B series with 4 wrap frame.

The little heartbreaker you see next to me is my girlfriends 6 year old with her first time out using Prisms Stowaway Parafoil and I had no problem hovering my Rev next to it, backing out if it came towards me, flying under it and matching it, etc.

All this said, if I work on the assumption that iQuad are flying with maximum sail pressure, then my bigger differential is spilling air off the leading edge too much. This is fine in strong wind, but will hamper me in lower wind. Also, I find in average wind, it's easy to cause a lower wingtip to want to flip over, so that may be an indication I'm pushing it a bit far out for my level of refinement on the handles. The SLE will flip far sooner than the B for the exact same setup, but the B still threatens.

I have made new longer lowers with a knot out closer to iQuads 2-3 inch mark and my current 2 knots at their same current position. This will allow me to try out settings closer to iQuads and then fly directly against my own to see how I feel.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1141.JPG
  • IMG_1145.JPG
  • IMG_1149.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users