Thank you kindly for your comments.
Got mine 2 days ago. Fantastic job to all involved.
I love the "start to finish" graphics. Colors are great.
John, your research paid off big time for us, thanks.
Was expecting a blue back ground. Quite a shock when I saw the gold fade.
John, where did you get that idea from and how was it done?
The colors worked so well with the kite prints.
Make Me Somemore
The background colors were picked from a real sunset that I photographed back in 2000 while on vacation in Langkawi.
Where did I get the idea from. That is hard to answer. One of my trades is Graphic Design and I am a bit of history fanatic in particular related to my hobbies. So, I guess some where there the idea just happened.
How was it created? I used primarily two programs for creating this. For Revolution photos I used Adobe Photoshop CS5. For the layout background colors and print I used Adobe Illustrator CS5.
All the photos were made personally by me with my cameras. Some of the Revolutions photographed are my personal Revolutions. The majority of the Revolutions photographed were borrowed from Revolution Kites.
The Revolutions were cut out from their original photos using Photoshop. They were then imported into Illustrator. With Illustrator I created The shape of the Revolution 1.5 in full size. I created the background color with in Illustrator using a gradient. The colors as mentioned were taken from a real sunset. The fonts used for the text are from the Lucinda family of fonts. The idea was original historical thus I started with a NeosOmega from 1988 and ended with the ZEN from 2010. The ZEN photographed is mine. Ben has a twin of it. I would have liked have thrown in a few more REVs, however the design was starting to get a bit too busy so I kept it down to the more distinct ones.
When the design was complete, the file size was close to 100MByte because it had the PDF version embedded. I delivered the production Illustrator file electronically to the Gonzales brothers in Gandia(Valencia) Spain. The brothers printed the design on to Real Icarex Polyester. The printer they use for this is a special printer using Special ink. When I talked to the brothers back in April 2006, while we were awaiting flights at Paris CDG, they told me about this printer they were buying that would cost them over 70,000 Euros. That was about $100,000 at the time. Shortly after they had the printer. The ink was extra and very expensive. I understand that it takes about 7 hours from start to finish for the printing of a sail. That includes drying time between colors. The sewing of the sails was preformed in San Diego. All the rods are made by Revolution at their factory in Poway. The bags were made by the Gonzalez brothers in Spain.
Now you all know the secrets of how it was made. There were a few hundred hours put into creation of the design.