NOW AVAILABLE: New Historical Revolution Masterpiece

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 NED

NED
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

Got mine 2 days ago. Fantastic job to all involved.
I love the "start to finish" graphics. Colors are great.

John, your research paid off big time for us, thanks. ( don't think we knew what you were up to).
Was expecting a blue back ground. Quite a shock when I saw the gold fade.
John, where did you get that idea from and how was it done?
The colors worked so well with the kite prints. Your efforts are appreciated.

Make Me Somemore
Rick

Edited by NED, 11 December 2010 - 06:55 PM.

#42 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

Got mine 2 days ago. Fantastic job to all involved.
I love the "start to finish" graphics. Colors are great.

John, your research paid off big time for us, thanks.
Was expecting a blue back ground. Quite a shock when I saw the gold fade.
John, where did you get that idea from and how was it done?
The colors worked so well with the kite prints.

Make Me Somemore
Rick

Thank you kindly for your comments.
The background colors were picked from a real sunset that I photographed back in 2000 while on vacation in Langkawi.
Where did I get the idea from. That is hard to answer. One of my trades is Graphic Design and I am a bit of history fanatic in particular related to my hobbies. So, I guess some where there the idea just happened.
How was it created? I used primarily two programs for creating this. For Revolution photos I used Adobe Photoshop CS5. For the layout background colors and print I used Adobe Illustrator CS5.
All the photos were made personally by me with my cameras. Some of the Revolutions photographed are my personal Revolutions. The majority of the Revolutions photographed were borrowed from Revolution Kites.
The Revolutions were cut out from their original photos using Photoshop. They were then imported into Illustrator. With Illustrator I created The shape of the Revolution 1.5 in full size. I created the background color with in Illustrator using a gradient. The colors as mentioned were taken from a real sunset. The fonts used for the text are from the Lucinda family of fonts. The idea was original historical thus I started with a NeosOmega from 1988 and ended with the ZEN from 2010. The ZEN photographed is mine. Ben has a twin of it. I would have liked have thrown in a few more REVs, however the design was starting to get a bit too busy so I kept it down to the more distinct ones.
When the design was complete, the file size was close to 100MByte because it had the PDF version embedded. I delivered the production Illustrator file electronically to the Gonzales brothers in Gandia(Valencia) Spain. The brothers printed the design on to Real Icarex Polyester. The printer they use for this is a special printer using Special ink. When I talked to the brothers back in April 2006, while we were awaiting flights at Paris CDG, they told me about this printer they were buying that would cost them over 70,000 Euros. That was about $100,000 at the time. Shortly after they had the printer. The ink was extra and very expensive. I understand that it takes about 7 hours from start to finish for the printing of a sail. That includes drying time between colors. The sewing of the sails was preformed in San Diego. All the rods are made by Revolution at their factory in Poway. The bags were made by the Gonzalez brothers in Spain.
Now you all know the secrets of how it was made. There were a few hundred hours put into creation of the design.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#43 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

It is and was a great project and there's still a few left........... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#44 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:29 PM

All I can say is... AWESOME JOB!!!! Thanks for the history!:)

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#45 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

A NEW Historical Revolution Masterpiece is in the works.
The first sail is now ready for the final sewing.

Stay tuned for the latest information.

John,

I'm impressed with the outcome,

I set my kite up, I grabbed the magnafying glass to take a look, the kites are so close to real I can see the material, I also looked twice on the vented kites to see if they was really vented!!! very nice history!!! nicely designed,, thank you,, I'm a proud owner.

mike

Edited by Kitelife, 29 December 2010 - 07:53 PM.

#46 Dredlore

Dredlore
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:35 AM

I looking at getting a series b pro full vent.
Should I save my $$$ for this kite that may be comming.

#47 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

This would be very different from the full vent you're looking at, as it is only available in full sail model!! If you want vents, stick with the Pro!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#48 Dredlore

Dredlore
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

This would be very different from the full vent you're looking at, as it is only available in full sail model!! If you want vents, stick with the Pro!
Thank-you for the advice.. I just getting in to Rev kites.. they add extra 4D to kite flying.

I been flying Delta's for a long time.

And I want a extreme kite to push to the limits.

#49 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

This kite  has been available for several years now, but only in the full sail! Only way to get all the graphics on with room between them! Do you own any Revs now? Most will have both a full sail and a full vent, as this covers the most conditions you are likely to encounter! 

I see you're from Oz., close to SparkieRob? 

wayne from portland

AKA member

#50 Dredlore

Dredlore
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

Not sure. I live in north Brisbane.
I have 2 secondhand rev copy..

The price was very cheap.

And Now I deferentially want 2 real rev's.

#51 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

Other side of Oz from me, G'day, I'm in Perth. I know a couple of guys on the East coat though.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#52 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

Stick to the "real thing"! You won't be disappointed that you did!! PM SparkieRob - he'll steer you in the right direction!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#53 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

It is always a value to support those that in turn take care of us (we the fliers).  China is not providing trophies, or donations of products for worthy causes nor touring the country showing off the latest/greatest stuff they created, tested, modified and finally rolled out into production themselves.

Cost is not always measured by the lowest bid, sometimes acquisitions are made under that special heading of "best value".  Revolution products fall under this category.

You join a global family and are supported by the factory staff with services, repairs and products backed by people who are actually kite fliers themselves in case of ANY problem.  They have "made right" many things we all should know are not their fault.  For example, customer buys a supersonic to learn on and then complains it broke in mid-air.  Sure it did, but crashes are cumulative, so all those bashes into the ground added up.  It's not the manufacturer's fault if you use their products improperly or without any prior training.  That doesn't mean they are NOT made tough.  Only that how tough makes it too heavy and trucky?,... to be successful for their established client base in flight dynamics.

An indoor kite is, by it's very nature delicate.  A speed series kite can go very fast in a single eye-blink.  Both of these products are designed for very specific markets and they are successful in these arenas.  Most knock-offs are copies of existing technology and many are inferior because they only can compete on price.

Hopefully you will also support the "real deal" Revolution company or provide something truly innovative to the quad-line community for us all to share if you simply must home-build.  Taking funding away from the factory (and their retailer community base) is frowned upon by selling your own wares.  You'd feel the same way if the roles were reversed!

#54 Dredlore

Dredlore
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hi Sparky & revflyer.

Not to be crass, I was at my local kite shop looking to buy a real rev when it was offered me a pair of rev copys (Australian made).
After some thought I got them as learning revs.

I don't doubt the quality of the real thing.... I just know how many deltas I broke in the start.

Once I stop thumping the ground I will be upgrading to at least 2 real revs and most likely donating the copy's to my local club for others to learn the joy of revs.

So if you feel I betrayed revolution kites by my choices, I am Sorry. You don't buy a new BMW for a first car. I think the same for kites.

#55 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

No problem here, I understand the financial part and am glad you are moving up to genuine Revs! You won't regret it!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#56 Dredlore

Dredlore
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Put a request in last night for a quote for a review B Pro... I loven the color scheme.. just not sure to go mid or full vent.. (can only get 1 at moment)

#57 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

Put a request in last night for a quote for a review B Pro... I loven the color scheme.. just not sure to go mid or full vent.. (can only get 1 at moment)

Just in case you weren't aware, there is a colouriser on the Rev website where you can design a colour scheme. Custom colours are a bit more but I think it's worth it to get "your" kite your way.

Most get a Vtd to compliment a Std as there is a bit of wind cross over. However, talk some local pilots (Prawnstar on this forum), fly their kites and see which you prefer. Get in touch with a local kite club, Redcliffe KC is one that springs to mind.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users