10 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

Today I went through our Revs checking for loose ferrules.

I found four which were loose and needed to be cleaned up and glued.

Over time they do come loose, and if not repaired, you may push the ferrule all the way into the center spar when putting the leading edge together. That's a bad thing.

Finding and repairing before a problem happens, now that's a good thing.

Edited by Jim Foster, 16 September 2010 - 08:42 PM.

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#2 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

Today I went through our Revs checking for loose ferrules.

I found four which were loose and needed to be cleaned up and glued.

Over time they do come loose, and if not repaired, you may push the ferrule all the way into the center spar when putting the leading edge together. That's a bag thing.

Finding and repairing before a problem happens, now that's a good thing.

Right on. I found one the other day on my Race Rods. There must be an oxidation of the glue. This is also a need to carry a little super glue to make field repairs.

John

#3 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

I recommend Zap-A-Gap glue as it works exceptionally well. Also, if you are going to carry a tube around with you in your bag, I suggest putting it inside of a good heavy duty zip-loc bag (or equivalent) just in the rare chance that it gets squished and accidentally comes open. Glue is awesome for ferules, bad for kite skins! :)

#4 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

I just checked all my ferrules and they're nice and firm :kid_smartass: I had a loose one before and it was bad news! :censored:

Cheers and don't leave home without checking your ferrules first :w00t:
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#5 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

I find zap a little runny for ferrules, I use gorilla glue. that Posted Image will stick water to oil.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#6 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

This year was the first time I had ferrules come loose. Since they worked fine for quite a period of time I certainly could not blame it on a manufacturing defect.

It didn't take me long to come up with a reasonable explanation (to me at least).

This summer in Maryland has had a record number of very hot days. My kites stay in the trunk of my car. Knowing that I figured that the heat helped deteriorate the epoxy, I know that's the case for epoxy used in woodworking so I figured it was the same thing.

No problem though, I used some West Systems Five minute epoxy and was back in business.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#7 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

This year was the first time I had ferrules come loose. Since they worked fine for quite a period of time I certainly could not blame it on a manufacturing defect.

It didn't take me long to come up with a reasonable explanation (to me at least).

This summer in Maryland has had a record number of very hot days. My kites stay in the trunk of my car. Knowing that I figured that the heat helped deteriorate the epoxy, I know that's the case for epoxy used in woodworking so I figured it was the same thing.

No problem though, I used some West Systems Five minute epoxy and was back in business.

-Alden

Is that the good smelling stuff?
Posted Image
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#8 Ant-

Ant-

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:36 PM

It's probably worth pointing out that losing the ferrule inside the spar is not the only concequence and by no means the worst. If it goes in part of the way but still protrudes you can think it's fine, but the short end in the other spar can put considerably more force on a smaller length of spar wall when the assembly is flexing, and this can easily split the spar! THAT is a lot harder to fix with glue Posted Image

Trust me - I speak from experience....

(Having said that, I do keep a couple of reglued split spars in my bag as emergency replacements, which can get you by as long as the split end only goes in an end cap)

Ant

#9 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

Just 2 weeks ago I was flying my rev2 when 1 side all of a sudden looked broken.
Taking it apart, the ferrel had come loose and slid out of the outer rod, and completely into the center rod.
I will be checking all my rods today.

Ken

#10 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

This is definitely something worth checking at least once in a while. As Ant rightly points out, if that ferrule has snuck in a little bit, it makes the outer rod MUCH more breakable.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#11 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

Trust me - I speak from experience....

(Having said that, I do keep a couple of reglued split spars in my bag as emergency replacements, which can get you by as long as the split end only goes in an end cap)

Ant

I've had the same experience. I have split end spars wrapped with a little tape that I've used as vertical spars for years.

That said, I find it pretty rare for the ferrules to come unglued. I've carried super glue in the team bag for years and I used it for the first time a couple weeks ago. And we have 16 kites that get a lot of use.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users