#21 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

necroposting

That's a new one on me. Did I die and not notice?
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#22 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

"Necroposting" (also called "necrobumping" or "gravedigging"), occurs when a forum thread that has been inactive for a long time, typically years, is bumped by a reader, usually in response to what he inadvertently believes to be an ongoing discussion, perhaps coming from a web search rather than from within the forum.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#23 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:38 AM

P.S. I love a forum where nobody complains about "necroposting". ;)

Sorry, Pete. That wasn't directed at you, just a comment about this forum in general.

What I mean is that on some forums I have frequented, members complain loudly if you post a new comment in a thread that has been dormant for even a few months, let alone years. Here I often see some of the same people (and new ones) resume a discussion years later, with new insights and experiences. Nobody seems upset if a newbie comes along and asks about an old topic in an old thread. I like it. :) IMHO, it's much better than searching the forum to find dozens of threads about the same topic.
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

#24 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

Ahh. I hadn't heard that word before. It certainly applies to me. The first thing I do when joining a new forum is to try (if even remotely possible) to read ALL the old posts. (I'm willing to devote 50 or 60 hours to it on a site that I like, and I am a VERY fast reader: close to 4,000 screens of text in that amount of time.) I do that to avoid asking questions that have been fully answered previously.

However, if I think I have something to add, or just want to see how a changeable subject has changed in 5 or 10 years, I do not hesitate to "bump" the thread. I usually preface any replies to old threads with a recommendation to check the date on the post I am replying to.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#25 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

Khal, we're pretty casual here... This ain't politics, it's kites... And if there's new or fresh life to be breathed into a subject, I'm all for it. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users