Melanie in Tennessee

#42 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

"I see no balls" he says as he raises his telescope to the wrong eye.

I can see why people would not realise you were not joking Mr J. When you were ranting about this to anyone who would listen over the weekend, we all agreed partly because you were right and partly because you were clearly so serious and put out about the grid spacing. Didn't you also say something about more challenging evolutions, such as benefits, being a necessity? I certainly remember some comment along the lines of "haven't been so over excited since 1776".

By the way, did this poor relation to F1, which also must hold the record for the most sexist trophy in the worst possible taste, also name its premier series after a news paper?

http://sports.yahoo....n=nascar-269201

Edited by Sailor99, 13 September 2010 - 10:16 PM.

Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#43 Yrna

Yrna

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:41 PM

We as flyers, from my experience enjoy the closeness and new thrill of the Grid (and Sailor gets his nose wiped :wacko: )

Hmm... Generally closeness is great. But as Sailor needs his nose wiped I prefer standing closer to some other people ;)

#44 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:45 AM

As long as we're talking USA vs UK records: what percentage of the UK record was flown by UK citizens?
Setting that quibble aside though, I agree with everything Jonesey said since I wasn't at WSIKF and I did fly in the Portsmouth record.

I propose the new standard for a world record should be that you can thread, play with balls, and scratch Jeremy's nose with your elbow.
Jonesey can verify all records by observing from a car park or parking lot (depending on the venue)
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#45 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:12 AM

As long as we're talking USA vs UK records: what percentage of the UK record was flown by UK citizens?
Setting that quibble aside though, I agree with everything Jonesey said since I wasn't at WSIKF and I did fly in the Portsmouth record.

I propose the new standard for a world record should be that you can thread, play with balls, and scratch Jeremy's nose with your elbow.
Jonesey can verify all records by observing from a car park or parking lot (depending on the venue)

Thanks for your support Papa Smurf .... I think Posted Image

#46 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:24 AM

Ah ha ... figured it out... that aerial shot says it all .... lots of wide open space just as you colonial folks are used to ... (or maybe you have left enough space for us to join in?) .. so you are subliminally being extravagant with the amount of space you use?

We on the other hand seem to naturally form ourselves into tightly packed and organised ranks ....

Wonder where that comes from???

Attached Thumbnails

• RedCoats.jpg

Edited by Jonesey, 14 September 2010 - 06:24 AM.

#47 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:24 AM

:mf_seehearspeak:
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#48 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

Maybe next year we could do the 64 and then have a couple of 25's behind it!
If they all move to the same command would that count as 114?
As the requirement for any team is to do maneuvers when called to do so even if they are a quarter mile apart.
One thing is for certain it will be like herding cats.
Bazzer

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#49 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

The extra space was for all of you guys and none of you showed up......Posted ImageSo do I need to come over and set this record right across the pond...Posted ImageSmile
all cause it's kites and friends so to Posted Image if it's grids or shoulder to shoulder it really does not matter what counts is US together having fun and enjoying the
day....... Whats a real world record is the fact that we come together and fly as friends and Family, this was never about just kites this is all about a brotherhood
of friends who come together with kites, so before we get all upset remember how much fun it was in the UK or WSIKF and how as a unit we came together and
for one brief flash it did'nt matter who you were or where you were from all that matter is we as a Family were having fun, imagine that FUN......Posted Image So here's
my 2 cents and win, lose, or draw I love all of you as a member of my Family..... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3377.jpg

#50 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

The extra space was for all of you guys and none of you showed up...... <snip>

Ah yes, the missing 36, or could it have been another 56 in the gaps?

I like the photo...

How about 4 sets of 25 kites, one set behind the other as in Bazzers post? All responding to the same instructions sounds good to me. Herding cats is what it is about, I guess

Felix

#51 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

LOVE that photo Ben!!

Bart

The extra space was for all of you guys and none of you showed up......Posted ImageSo do I need to come over and set this record right across the pond...Posted ImageSmile
all cause it's kites and friends so to Posted Image if it's grids or shoulder to shoulder it really does not matter what counts is US together having fun and enjoying the
day....... Whats a real world record is the fact that we come together and fly as friends and Family, this was never about just kites this is all about a brotherhood
of friends who come together with kites, so before we get all upset remember how much fun it was in the UK or WSIKF and how as a unit we came together and
for one brief flash it did'nt matter who you were or where you were from all that matter is we as a Family were having fun, imagine that FUN......Posted Image So here's
my 2 cents and win, lose, or draw I love all of you as a member of my Family..... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#52 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

LOVE that photo Ben!!

Bart

Hmmm... Was that supposed to be a straight line at right angles to the wind direction? Duh!

Anyway, I am reminded of butterflies perched ready to take off in their characteristic 'random' flight patterns... warming their wings before taking flight!

At the Saturday morning briefing (at WSIKF) I think that I suggested two considerations, the first being that the whole process (launch, perform, land) should be considered 'as part of' the performance, the second being that we should try to bring the columns together. In the event the light wind curtailled the performance.

Never mind, there is always the next time, just need to get a grip of the logistics of getting all the fliers together at a suitable venue.

Felix

#53 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

Hmmm... Was that supposed to be a straight line at right angles to the wind direction? Duh!

Anyway, I am reminded of butterflies perched ready to take off in their characteristic 'random' flight patterns... warming their wings before taking flight!

At the Saturday morning briefing (at WSIKF) I think that I suggested two considerations, the first being that the whole process (launch, perform, land) should be considered 'as part of' the performance, the second being that we should try to bring the columns together. In the event the light wind curtailled the performance.

Never mind, there is always the next time, just need to get a grip of the logistics of getting all the fliers together at a suitable venue.

Felix

Yeah I think that I took that picture and my pulse was still shaking after bitting the record. That's why the kites don't look like they're in line...... :kid_smartass: :w00t: :w00t:

Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#54 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Yes, I remember well when you made both these comments. I recall that we did compress the grid ever so briefly on Saturday? Seems to me there was a lot of instability with the way the wind was.

I also recall that by the end the wind had become so light that most of the bottom four downwind rows were dropping like flies just trying to find a parking spot that wasn't going to hinder another dropping kite. I do not recall what the upwind rows looked like coming down.

Next time.... much better and with everyone at least 30 feet apart not 35... Posted Image

Bart

Felix

#55 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

Sorry Ben, this is the one that I took :kid_smartass: Pretty similar indeed!!!!

Posted Image

Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#56 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Johhny B Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:51 AM

I don't care what anyone says.

I remember 63 friends (and myself) grinning from ear to ear when we were done that day.

I want to be there again right now!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#57 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:02 AM

Is there an indoor version of this record?
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#58 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

Me too, Me too! Especially after going out this past weekend into the choppy, crappy winds we have here!

Bart

I don't care what anyone says.

I remember 63 friends (and myself) grinning from ear to ear when we were done that day.

I want to be there again right now!

-Alden

#59 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

Is there an indoor version of this record?

Heh, sure! 3.

Me, John and Steve doing the iQuad indoor routine :D

We set the bar low.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#60 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Heh, sure!  3.

Me, John and Steve doing the iQuad indoor routine :D

We set the bar low.

Hi Monkey, no that doesn't count you need at least FIVE to beat AIRKRAFT

Did we not mention in REVision some while back ? 

Now that would be an easy one to do and that would give Felix nightmares as to how to organise the grid.

Think we should leave it to the youngsters to organise... Over to you Watty  :blue-grin:

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users