#21 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

<snip>

I don't want to overthink that part (not something you hear me say often), but moving forward there is a lot of room for improvement. IMHO of course.

Bart

No worries... Those that were there are part of the process of taking it forward. Those that were not there have their dreams... <grins>

I don't care for records, just possibilities. Much more fun in my view!

Felix

#22 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

In the car park?

Felix

They had a dentist in the car park at Portsmouth? Wow! What will the crazy brits come up with next!

:D

"Wisdoms on Wheels, drive in for the drill, drive out with the bill"
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#23 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

Of course, had all the chaps been flying together then there would have been less fellows at the edge of the window. But glad the organisation went well and everyone was quickly in the air - wouldn't want being late to become a habit. ;)

Edited by Sailor99, 13 September 2010 - 11:32 AM.

Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#24 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

They had a dentist in the car park at Portsmouth? Wow! What will the crazy brits come up with next!
<snip>

I think that it was something to do with sugared doughnuts, not actual dentists.

Maybe someone needed a visualisation of concentric rings. The mind boggles.

Felix

#25 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:48 AM

Typical .. I try to raise a valid point in the hope of advancing the sport for the good of all and you lot resort to cheap shots and personal attacks..... I'm beginning to think you don't take me seriously ... :kid_smartass:

#26 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

Typical .. I try to raise a valid point in the hope of advancing the sport for the good of all and you lot resort to cheap shots and personal attacks..... I'm beginning to think you don't take me seriously ... :kid_smartass:

How late can one be?

<grins>

Felix

#27 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

Just had another thought .... you could always just call it the 'Rev Mega Grid World Series' then it would be another one of those truly international global championships like baseball Posted Image

Point of Order: The "World" series of baseball is so named because it was originally sponsored by a newspaper called "The World". Now back to our regularly scheduled friendly banter.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#28 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

Ok happy to concede that one Scott, after all we call it rounders over here and it's only played by girls :D

However Barts comment made me think ...

I think they minute the threading started it became one team.

Surely, looking at the distance between all those separate 'teams' you can't be 'threading' .. The 'team on the far left is so far away from the team on the right that they couldn't make contact if they wanted to so .... With no fear of contact where's the skill / challenge???

( please make sure the geometry lesson I'm about to receive uses metric units )

#29 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:46 PM

Then I guess that the person who's kite is at the top of a column is not really flying with the person who's kite is at the bottom of the column as they are standing too far away from each other?

Doesn't seem quite right.

If the columns of fliers are nearly shoulder to shoulder, would that not prohibit a very large grid, say 20x10, as would not the end columns be trying to fly outside the window?

Edited by Jim Foster, 13 September 2010 - 12:50 PM.

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#30 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

Then I guess that the person who's kite is at the top of a column is not really flying with the person who's kite is at the bottom of the column as they are standing too far away from each other?

Doesn't seem quite right.

Ahh but at least they are in the same team .... Either that or you've made the mistake of taking anything I say seriously ;)

#31 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

Point of Order: The "World" series of baseball is so named because it was originally sponsored by a newspaper called "The World". Now back to our regularly scheduled friendly banter.

Interesting you should mention this, but you might want to check out: http://www.snopes.co...worldseries.asp
Seems a number of people share this common misconception!!

Ah well, never mind huh!

Mark

#32 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

Ahh but at least they are in the same team .... Either that or you've made the mistake of taking anything I say seriously ;)

Sorry, thought you were serious. I'm sure that all 64 of us felt we were part of the same team. It sure felt like that to me.

#33 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

Just had another thought .... you could always just call it the 'Rev Mega Grid World Series' then it would be another one of those truly international global championships like baseball Posted Image

You mean kinda like " THE AMERICA'S CUP" races???????

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#34 Yrna

Yrna

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

How late can one be?

<grins>

Felix

That depends on who the one is ....

#35 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

Maybe not threaded to the ends, but certainly threaded at least part way.

If not that then let's just say all that "string" up there "threaded" through something somewhere in its life... Bet it felt like a team then too... Posted Image

Bart

#36 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

Nothing like a little early morning digging to get things going.  Love it.

I think they minute the threading started it became one team.  In fact, on my video JB doesn't even mention the world record until the threading.  To do that would require a min/max separation so another 8 flyers on the other side of the pond would have been excluded being outside the maximum distance to thread.

Sorry.  Posted Image

Bart

Hi All,

Many years ago I officiated over the Dual Line World Record for the Guinness book of Records.

For that the flyers could not simply launch and do a sequential launch (Mexican Wave type move) they had to do a recognizable move.  For Dual line this was easiest with a figure 8.

So to move this to a Quad kite, there was no limit on width, why would there ?

So when JB got the flyers to do a thread, that's a recognizable move - Job Done !!

I think the record and the grid are two different beasts

Records are liked by event organizers because you can promote those to the TV, Radio & Public

We as flyers, from my experience enjoy the closeness and new thrill of the Grid (and Sailor gets his nose wiped :wacko:  )

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#37 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

You mean kinda like " THE AMERICA'S CUP" races???????

Due to certain confidentiality restrictions in my contract with a certain nations Americas Cup team I cant comment on that ... other then to say it is currently back in the hands of the USA and you should be proud that a bunch of Kiwis and Aussies went out there and bought the cup back for you Posted Image

Oh and sorry Jim, if you had met me you would know I'm rarely, if ever, serious and had no intention to denigrate those that took part in any way .... I'm just saying we do it properly over here (that was a joke by the way :) )

Time for bed in the civilised world .. thanks for the fun .. its going to be a long winter!

Jonesey Out

#38 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

Ok happy to concede that one Scott, after all we call it rounders over here and it's only played by girls Posted Image

Apparently it's I who have to concede here.

Now, let's back up a bit. How old are these games: rounders and cricket? The reason I ask is that there was a game played here in the colonies, long before we were abandoned by our English brethren and left to defend ourselves against King George's army, called "Stool Ball" (this one I researched) which may have been the predescessor of both cricket and baseball. Stool Ball bares some uncanny similarities to Cricket.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#39 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

Maybe not threaded to the ends, but certainly threaded at least part way.

If not that then let's just say all that "string" up there "threaded" through something somewhere in its life... Bet it felt like a team then too... Posted Image

Bart

Face to face pairs should have been OK if it had been called...

Seems to me that this would have defined the team configuration. <grins>

Felix

#40 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

We as flyers, from my experience enjoy the closeness and new thrill of the Grid (and Sailor gets his nose wiped :wacko:  )

If you like closeness, you should have been at Kite Party in Huntington Beach CA this year. Lines are limited to 75' at that event due to space, and wanting all fliers to be able to fly whenever they wish.
There were times when we had 18 rev fliers, all standing in one line, elbow to elbow, flying follows, threads, Leaders benefits in groups of six, "balls" in groups of six, pez starting in the middle going down, moving to the right and going up, then moving to the right going down all in groups of six in one continuous line.

One ball of 18, two balls of 9, three balls of 6.

All on 75' lines.

Now that was exciting and loads of fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users