10 replies to this topic

#1 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

I'm currently flying static and have tailored my quiver to the liftier end of the fixed-bridle foil range as I find jumping around to be something of a hoot. However I'm also becoming interested in kite-buggying and to a lesser extent kite-boarding. I've come to understand that the lift characteristics of my current kites make them a little less than ideal for learning buggying and that I might need to invest in some less lifty kites for this purpose.

Anyway, I got to thinking about the Blast 2~4 and 4~8 and whether they might not be a viable alternative to yet another fistfull of foils.....So I was wondering, do any of you guys use the Blast range for traction sports? If so what other kites have you used in a similar role and how do the Blast kites compare? Is there any particular benefit of the unique Rev flight characteristics in these sports? Presumably given the apparent water resistance of Revs, these kites might be useable for snow-kiting or even kite-surfing.....Do they generate enough grunt, has anyone tried it?

TIA & All the best
Andy S.

Edited by Andy S., 08 September 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#2 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:35 PM

I haven't but I know Ben is a big fan of the 2-4 for buggying.

I've got one and I can vouch for it's pull.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#3 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

BTW - What are the RRPs of the Blast 2~4 & Blast 4~8 (UK prices if possible).....I've found one UK listing for the 2~4 but can't find a price for the 4~8 anywhere. The reason I ask is because it ocurred to me that the price I've seen for the Blast 2~4 isn't all that far off what one might expect to pay for a full on race-kite like a Peter Lynn Vapor.Posted Image

TIA & All the best
Andy S.

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Blast 2-4 at kiteworld.co.uk is 335.99, cant find the 4-8 either.

Not sure if this helps at all.

#5 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

Kent (awindofchange) is a bit of a buggy and power blast fan as well, I'm sure he will chime in soon enough ... otherwise message him directly.

BTW - Andy, you got a PM from me

#6 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:15 AM

Cheers guys.....Kiteworld is where I've been looking.

I've been daydreaming about a Blast 2~4 & 4~8 propelled Libre Quad.....Techno Buggy! Posted Image

http://extremekitesh...uggy-p-612.html

How cool would that be! Posted Image

Just a thought, all the best
Andy S.
PS - Steven.....Reply sent. Posted Image

Edited by Andy S., 09 September 2010 - 07:15 AM.

#7 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

We have been using the Power Blast series in our buggies for quite some time now. If you can fly a Rev then these kites will out perform any kite on the market size per size. The speed is incredible and they point nearly directly upwind. If you are price checking then the cost of the PB 2-4 compared to the high end race foils such as the Yakuza GT or the PL Vapor is much better. You can get the entire package including handles, lines and DVD for around the same price as the other race foils as kite only.

As far as size comparison goes, the PB 2-4 is a 2 sq. Meter kite that pulls like a 4m foil and the 4-8 is a 4 sq. meter kite that pulls like an 8 meter foil. The numbers are very accurate so this will give you a good idea as to how to match them up with your current foil kites.

The Rev's may not be for everyone as they are quite technical to fly and that 4-8 is a BEAST. If you do have the technical aspect down though, these kites are totally awesome.

Hope that helps.

#8 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

When you buy a high-end buggy motor you need a high-end buggy too

Popey 's Dominator is the thing you need !!

Edited by Madquad, 09 September 2010 - 11:39 AM.

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#9 spotter

spotter
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

Haha I love Popey's buggies and the dominator is a great buggy to play in. I know someone that has one and he lent it to me for a days flying. I have flown a 2-4 in a buggy. Was great fun actually. I did find that if you are spending a lot of time in a buggy the 2-4 was not a good option. Most of the time when I am buggying for a while I harness into the kite so there is not the same strain on my arms and I can kite for longer... a lot longer.

I have been thinking about getting a 2-4 again as that was a lot of fun to fly. I was new to buggying when I tried. This made things a little harder as I was trying to control the kite as well and trying to control where the buggy was going. It depends on what kites you are currently have in your quiver. If you have some very lifty kites, then there is a good chance you will have an OBE (Out of Buggy Experiance).
Trying to fly "Down Under"

#10 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

You can harness in with the Rev but it does require a lot more attention than a normal foil.

#11 Andy S.

Andy S.

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

Many thanks for all your advice guys.....Looks like I may be buying more than one Rev after all! Posted Image

All the best
Andy S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users