17 replies to this topic

#1 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

Anyone know how to easily tell the difference between the older bridle needing longer bottom lines and the newer bridles?

Mine is a really thick line, and its upper towpoint looks about 4" longer than the bottom towpoints.
Seems to fly better too when i have my upper lines pulled all the way in on the handles.
I'm thinking its probably the older bridle. Posted Image

thanks,
-dano

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

Sounds like you might have an early bridle.

Best way to check is to get a newer one side by side with yours.

Think I still have the old bridle here. If you get no other answer I will see if I can measure for you this evening.

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

Anyone know how to easily tell the difference between the older bridle needing longer bottom lines and the newer bridles?

Mine is a really thick line, and its upper towpoint looks about 4" longer than the bottom towpoints.
Seems to fly better too when i have my upper lines pulled all the way in on the handles.

thanks,
-dano

Thick bridles existed in both the original and later type bridles. The older original needed about 6-7 inch difference in the upper and lower control lines. The later ones used equal length control lines. The change was around 1991-92.
If you can control the REV I with normal handles, then you would have the later bridle type.
Also noted is that the REV I bridle has had some tweaking over the years. When and how much tweaking, I doubt no one really knows off hand. The latest seems to be the best.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

For what it's worth:
The longer upper tow point should be correct for a modern bridle and modern handles. I don't know/remember if the original had a longer tow point on top that just wasn't long enough.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#5 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

thanks,
-dano

I have both old and new rev 1s. I replaced both bridles with the new SUL bridles (ordered from Rev). I did not like that thick line at all. I don't know if it makes a difference but I can tell you I feel better about flying them and that's what is important.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#6 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

No clear answer to my question here Posted Image , but i think Mike got closet to the answer i was looking for.

THANKS! Posted Image

#7 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

Did look for mine, but have put it away safe!!

If I find it I will post a measurement.

#8 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

About the only way to tell if you have an older bridle is to fly the kite on 4 equal length lines. If you need to pull the top lines in about a foot, then you have the older bridle. :) Usually the older bridles have those huge metal hooks on them and the line is super thick, this isn't always a sure-fire way to tell though as they used the same setup on some of the equal length bridles as well. Not sure on the actual measurements to compare them to but at under $15.00 for a totally pre-tied complete modern replacement bridle, I would just swap it out and toss the old one and not worry about it. There are some subtle changes in the geometry of the new bridle compared to the old and the kite will fly better with the new bridle on it....not to mention it will be about a pound lighter once you get rid of that huge bulky line and those heavy metal clips. We have bridles in stock, give me a call Dano or just swing by the store next time you are close and we will get you set up. It only takes about 2-3 minutes to swap out the bridle and we can even do it for you at the park. Let me know.

Edited by awindofchange, 09 September 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

Kent - a question? I have a Rev 1 about 12 -13 years old. Would the newer bridle you're talking about be much different than the original that I have? Would appreciate knowing this!! :kid_smartass:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#10 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

It really does depend on which bridle you have now. If anything else, if the bridle you have now is made from the thick heavy bridle line, a new one would at least lighten that up and give less line drag. If it is the same bridle as the early early ones that are made for uneven lines then yea it will help a ton plus you could fly it on normal lines without the need for leader line extensions or uneven line sets.

#11 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

Kent, I do know that it is made of black line - heavier than what I don't know! Doesn't have the clips or uneven attachment points, just wondering if a new one is that much different from the one I have!!If you look on the global count thread, you'll see it , maybe you can tell by the color combo how old it is and if it needs a replacement!

Edited by stroke victim, 09 September 2010 - 08:15 PM.

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#12 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

Sounds like you have one of the newer bridles already so I don't think it would make much of a difference at all to swap it out. The biggest difference in flight usually comes from the first original bridles that required uneven line sets and had those heavy metal clips on them.

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

The original REV I/NeosOmega bridle had a 6 inch difference between the upper and lower control lines. This was changed in 1992 to an improved bridle that allowed for equal length control lines. It would thus be compatible with the REV II, released in 1990, that had equal length control lines. These were all the heavier black bridle line which I think was nylon. It does stretch a little bit in flight. Also in 1992 a REV I bridle was created from Spectra/Dynema for the SUL version of the REV I.
My early Rev I from about 1993 compared to my REV I vented made in 1996 has about a one inch variation in the upper horizontal bridle on both sides. whether this was intentional or a variation, I don't know. They are both the heavier black bridles.
Now, my REV I Sedgwick from 2002 matches the 1996 REV I on horizontal bridle however the Vertical bridles are two inches longer with the top part being identical. This again is the heavy black bridle.
Now the ZEN bridle is a different animal. The only thing the same is the center two parts on the horizontal. The rest is longer and in some cases considerably longer. The ZEN bridle is a gray thin bridle which I thing has a Spectra inner core and something like Dacron or Nylon for the outer.
Now, have I confused everyone?

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#14 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

The ZEN bridle is a gray thin bridle which I thing has a Spectra inner core and something like Dacron or Nylon for the outer.
Now, have I confused everyone?

Or it could be LP white. We ran out of LP gray and there is no more white being dyed. Undyed LP White is what most of the bridles will be made from. There is a bit of LP Red in SD as well now, :) , so you may see some red bridles again for a short period of time. But for now, LP white is what there is :)

T

#15 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

I think I would prefer the white if I had had the choice.

#16 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

yep John, more confused now than when i started. Posted Image

Actually my question came from when i stopped in Lincoln City coming back from WSIKF.

The guy in the kiteshop told me the older bridle has a longer pigtail for the line attachment on the top or the bottom,
and the newer ones had it switched the other way.

I just couldn't remember which it was he said was longer on the older bridles, THE TOP, or THE BOTTOMS.

But in any case, i assume all the newer bridles are not made with that heavy (200-250#) line,
which that alone would certainly be an improvement.

My next step will be to swap the SLE with some 2wraps.
I just need to plan me a long drive down to Vegas for a Friday Night Fly, and a little shopping in Kents Store.Posted Image

#17 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

I am sure Kent can get you fixed up quite well with the proper bridle for your REV I.
The Rev I 2 wrap rods, because they are a bit longer then the REV 1.5 version, are a bit more sensitive to breaking.
If you know the wind well enough when to switch from your 2 wrap to a 3 or 4 you will be fine. Otherwise I would tend to recommend the 3 wrap.
My weight measurements years ago showed me that there is 7 grams difference per rod between 2 to 3 and then 3 to 4 wrap.
My all around favorite rod on the REV I is the 3 wrap. Unfortunately they are not always carried by all dealers. Kent probably has them anyway.
An alternative is the race rod for the REV I. They have the strength of the 3 wrap and the weight of the 2 Wrap. However this alternative has a higher price to go with it.

Enjoy flying your REV I.

#18 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:36 PM

That's what I did - got a race frame from Lolly for my older 1!! It let the wind range get a bit lower than the 4 wrap that came in it that's for sure!! If you go this way though, definitely change out at least the LE if the wind gets up!! The 1's bigger size puts a lot of strain on those rods!!! Have fun!!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users